Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Elecraft KX3 Help

Reviews Summary for Elecraft KX3
Elecraft KX3 Reviews: 113 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $ See Desciption
Description: Elecraft KX3 QRP Transceiver

Ultra-portable, all-band/all-mode high-performance transceiver for home, mobile, or field use.
* 160-6 meters (2 m with KX3-2M module)
* SSB/CW/DATA/AM/FM modes; 10 W+ PEP (100 W with KXPA100 amp)
* 1.7" x 3.5" x 7.4" (4.3 x 8.9 x 18.8 cm); only 1.5 pounds (0.7 kg)
* Current drain as low as 150 mA; internal battery (8 AA cells, any type)
* Advanced DSP provides dual watch, noise reduction, noise blanking, autonotch, stereo audio effects, audio peaking filter (APF)
* Software-defined radio (SDR) architecture plus optional roofing filters
* Operates in data modes (PSK31/RTTY) with or without a PC
* Includes RX I/Q sound-card outputs; works with PC RS232 or USB ports; free firmware upgrades
* Options: internal wide-range antenna tuner (KXAT3), interal NiMH battery charger (KXBC3), dual roofing filter module (KXFL3), attached high-performance keyer paddle (KXPD3), internal 2-meter module (KX3-2M), MH3 compact hand mic with UP/DN buttons, KXPA100/KXAT100 100-W amplifier and ATU

$999.95 factory assembled, $899.95 kit

More info: http://www.elecraft.com

You can write your own review of the Elecraft KX3.

VE3TS Rating: 5/5 Jun 29, 2014 07:51 Send this review to a friend
Possibly the Deal of the Decade!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is the first brand new radio I bought since a DX-60, HR-10 combo back in the 'sixties. That will tell you two things, a) I am incredibly cheap and b) what a great value this is. You actually get 4 radios, not one. First, and most important to me, is a superb ham/swl receiver. With the roofing filters installed you will have a world beating receiver, second to none. Period. If this were just a receiver only, at around 1K you would have a super deal. But there is more. Second, you get an SDR radio. You can run it with the specialized Win4K3 software which turns it into a glass radio. Or for free you can run it with free programs like MultiPsk which make it an 'almost' glass radio. Now you have your bandscope, with 192 KHZ width. Third, you get a beauty of a QRP rig as everyone has lauded. Included in this category is a nifty little mobile or a great back up emergency rig. Fourth, add an amp and you have a small traditional station, great audio, all mode, great receive, etc. etc. And speaking of amps, the new generation of FET's allow you to build a single device amplifier that puts out 1.5K with only 10 watts drive for under 500 bucks. Now I am not saying there are no limitations with this rig. There has to be at its price but they are work arounds for most of them. The rig lacks I/O outputs and a second receiver input would be great for me. But with some relays and thought you can get the rig as automatic as you would like. The radio uses all computer style 3.5 or 2.5 mm connectors and you can get superb audio reports off 5 dollar computer mics! As you can tell, I have been very happy with this radio and I hope you will be too! 73, Keith

VE2AKS Rating: 4/5 Jun 22, 2014 19:40 Send this review to a friend
Good rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I love operating (QRP) this radio in the field with my buddipole. A lot of things have been written so really nothing to add on the technical side. Overvall verdict: still very pleased with my KX3 one year after my initial purchase.

The Achilles' heel of this rig lies in its DC connector which is, caveat emptor, more *flimsy* than I would have expected for a radio of this price range. Why Elecraft didn't put a socket on the PCB with a connector securely fixed on the KX3 case like the connector for the mike? Mystery. It is very easy to put stress on it and the connector is fixed in a way it can be ripped off with a bit of pressure (e.g. the fall of your 8xAA batteries pack :-( ... in the field a lot of accidents can happen even you are careful and connectors *are* more or less always mistreated).

Would I recommend the KX3 for someone who loves operating outside and a SOTA fan? Yes definitely, Elecraft has also an awesome customer support. It responds quickly and they do care about their customers. So thumbs up Elecraft! No need to buy the "big gun" (KXPA100), spend your money on a very good antenna, hope for favourable radio propagation conditions when you operate and you will enjoys several hours of making worldwide contacts even with a few watts.

N8LJJ Rating: 5/5 Jun 21, 2014 07:43 Send this review to a friend
Super radio once you buy all the bells and whistles  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am the proud owner of an Elecraft KX3. What a wonderful radio. I already own an SDR so I knew that this one would be destined for greatness. I bought the kit version, everything went together rather easily except for the nylon screws. Those required lots of care and attention to keep them from cross threading as they really want to do. Save your money and buy the kit if you are handy with a screwdriver. You will need the money you saved to buy the options.

The options are not a requirement but probably something you can't live without. The paddle key, ATU, roofing filter, battery charger/real time clock, and microphone do not come with the under 1K price tag.

The unit delivers as advertised and runs rings around my 3 other Yaesu portable rigs, FT-817, FT-857 and FT-897.

The receiver noise floor is super even without using any additional filtering. I am not sure if you really need the roofing filter, I have one and it is supposed to be automatic so I really don't know if it is really doing anything.

It is one sweet radio and if you have the money burning a hole in your pocket, This is the one to buy.

I also had to buy the KXPA100 amplifier and will write a review about it as well. I know have my eye on a PX3 panadapter but since it is not yet shipping may wait a little bit to pull the trigger.

N6PG Rating: 5/5 Jun 5, 2014 01:27 Send this review to a friend
Amazing HF radio you can take anywhere!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I travel a lot, and I used to bring my FT-857 to Europe... Even though I also needed to bring a battery, antenna, tuner, charger, etc.

With the KX3... EVERYTHING fits in one little radio. Further, I haven't found any compromises to make this work. I now travel with the radio and 28 gauge wire to throw in a tree or out the window. I also use the buddistick when SOTA if trees aren't around. The entire setup fits easily in a backpack.

The receiver is very quiet and the filtering is amazing. I have tuned 7.030 in Europe with many loud stations less than 1 kHz away and I can narrow down the filter and still hear the QRP station I'm trying to work. The radio is easy to use, and you don't need to go into the menus to operate. Lots of front panel controls, which is welcome on such a small radio. If you do go into the menu, the settings are easy to find and adjust. The antenna tuner is great. I've never had a gunner that can tune such huge mis-matched loads.

I haven't worked SSB contacts yet, and I would expect low power SSB contacts to be a bit challenging. I also haven't worked QRP at the bottom on the solar cycle, but I can tell you that right now.... I've never turned on the radio and not made a contact!

I really enjoy the radio. I've had so many radios over the years, and this one is a keeper!

IK0YKM Rating: 5/5 May 27, 2014 08:58 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding qrp xcvr  Time owned: more than 12 months
A new masterpiece from Elecraft.
I have had my first new KX-3 for a week now and just can't put it down.
No doubt we have a new standard for QRP transceivers.
I have now intensively used the KX3 for two days
after receiving it and have logged over 70 QSOs with it using SSB and CW.
The DSP filtering is great, like that of my old transceiver.
Perfect size, perfect weight (about 1.5 pound), VERY respectable performance.
My KX3 arrived with several options included:
-MH3 microphone;
-KXPD3 keyer paddle / straight key;
-KXFL3 roofing filter;
-KXUSB USB/serial port adapter;
-KXAT3 Internal, Wide-Range 20-W Automatic Antenna Tuner;
-KXBC3 NiMH Charger

Now i hope in ...... KX3-2M Internal 2-Meter Module :-)

I'm very satisfied

Henk IK0YKM

VK2BJP Rating: 5/5 May 14, 2014 22:33 Send this review to a friend
Excellant Rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I will give this little gem 10 stars out of 5, for for functionality, ease of use and compactness. I bought the KX3 for sota, it has performed flawlesssly in this role, the display is excellant , I have the time in utc selected on the display, so signal strength, time and frequency only need a glance when working a contact. The atu would tune a wet towel if you needed it to, battery drain is miniscule on receive and very low operating on 5 watts. I like it so much I,ve been using it instead of my IC-706g in the shack. Top marks to Elecraft for this little gem.

G3RCE Rating: 3/5 May 4, 2014 05:16 Send this review to a friend
OK  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
If you are considering a purchase? bear carefully in mind that the addition of the 100 watt amp is expensive.
Also, this radio is just not stable enough with certain data modes, especially WSPR Weak Signal Propagation Reporter,
even after doing the extra temperature compensation procedure.
You may well be better to purchase a K3.
My preference nowadays is the 'best bang for buck' Kenwood TS590S.
I must say that Elecraft gives amazing, almost
instantaneous backup, the best of all.

VE7CN Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2014 19:23 Send this review to a friend
Great little radio with big features  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got the KX3 for portable CW. I've been taking it with me everywhere I go and using it portable, mobile, and base on CW and phone. I've had no problems making contacts usually at half of its rated 12 watts.

The only issues I have had were user issues that Elecraft quickly helped me through. I've become familiar with the KX3 in a very short time.

I've looked at QRP rigs and kits for quite a while and am very glad to have decided on a KX3 because it does everything very well and I make contacts on low power on phone and cw with ease.

The tuner in it tunes anything I tried. That's fine to fool the radio but not an efficient use of power in many cases. I've never seen a tuner that tunes anything. I'll just make sure my wire lengths are correct for the bands I'm on so I can get as much power out the antenna as possible.

This is a fun little radio with big features and I'm very pleased to have one.

David VE7CN / VE7EPP

VK2JNG Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2014 20:00 Send this review to a friend
Beyond expectation  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have had the KX3 now for several weeks. Has performed flawlessly.
Easy to learn the operation of it with a little effort although still learning more about it. Excellent features. ATU is amazing. I like the CW decoding very much and it works well. Had an issue on day 1 of ownership with the KX3 utility program running on a MacBook pro. Reported it to Elecraft and the issue was resolved within 4 days by means of a new version of the KX3 utility. Is that service or what? Never knew that QRP could be so much fun. Have had several contacts on 100mW.
Have on order the AT1 attenuator from Elecraft because I want to go lower then 100mW.
All up, very happy and the KX3 is definitely a keeper for me.

Gerard VK2JNG/P

W0GI Rating: 5/5 Feb 17, 2014 10:37 Send this review to a friend
QRP Heaven  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a fine little rig. The kit is easy, only a few hours, even going slow. The receiver is excellent, and since I have had a K3 for a few years, no problem with setup and operation of the controls.

I added all the options, and will probably add the 2m module when it is available. Loaded up 8 Eneloop XX cells, and having a great time with this gem. It just works great.

No reason to go on, as there are a lot of reviews, and I can't find one thing I don't like about this rig.

I guess there is one con. Since I have a K1, K2, K3, and now the KX3, I will have to build a KX1, so I have them all. :) Terrible.

As you can tell, I like Elecraft a lot. A great company. I haven't had such good experiences from the "little three".

They still make some good radios, and I still like my MK-V for SSB, but after getting burned a few times, with no support other then, "send it in for repair", I'm done with them :)

Elecraft and Ten-Tec can supply me with everything I need for operating, and they will help you fix problems, not blow you off.

If you have the cash, you can't go wrong with the KX3. It's a keeper.