Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Elecraft KX3 Help

Reviews Summary for Elecraft KX3
Elecraft KX3 Reviews: 117 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $ See Desciption
Description: Elecraft KX3 QRP Transceiver

Ultra-portable, all-band/all-mode high-performance transceiver for home, mobile, or field use.
* 160-6 meters (2 m with KX3-2M module)
* SSB/CW/DATA/AM/FM modes; 10 W+ PEP (100 W with KXPA100 amp)
* 1.7" x 3.5" x 7.4" (4.3 x 8.9 x 18.8 cm); only 1.5 pounds (0.7 kg)
* Current drain as low as 150 mA; internal battery (8 AA cells, any type)
* Advanced DSP provides dual watch, noise reduction, noise blanking, autonotch, stereo audio effects, audio peaking filter (APF)
* Software-defined radio (SDR) architecture plus optional roofing filters
* Operates in data modes (PSK31/RTTY) with or without a PC
* Includes RX I/Q sound-card outputs; works with PC RS232 or USB ports; free firmware upgrades
* Options: internal wide-range antenna tuner (KXAT3), interal NiMH battery charger (KXBC3), dual roofing filter module (KXFL3), attached high-performance keyer paddle (KXPD3), internal 2-meter module (KX3-2M), MH3 compact hand mic with UP/DN buttons, KXPA100/KXAT100 100-W amplifier and ATU

$999.95 factory assembled, $899.95 kit

More info: http://www.elecraft.com

You can write your own review of the Elecraft KX3.

VK2BJP Rating: 5/5 May 14, 2014 22:33 Send this review to a friend
Excellant Rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I will give this little gem 10 stars out of 5, for for functionality, ease of use and compactness. I bought the KX3 for sota, it has performed flawlesssly in this role, the display is excellant , I have the time in utc selected on the display, so signal strength, time and frequency only need a glance when working a contact. The atu would tune a wet towel if you needed it to, battery drain is miniscule on receive and very low operating on 5 watts. I like it so much I,ve been using it instead of my IC-706g in the shack. Top marks to Elecraft for this little gem.

G3RCE Rating: 3/5 May 4, 2014 05:16 Send this review to a friend
OK  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
If you are considering a purchase? bear carefully in mind that the addition of the 100 watt amp is expensive.
Also, this radio is just not stable enough with certain data modes, especially WSPR Weak Signal Propagation Reporter,
even after doing the extra temperature compensation procedure.
You may well be better to purchase a K3.
My preference nowadays is the 'best bang for buck' Kenwood TS590S.
I must say that Elecraft gives amazing, almost
instantaneous backup, the best of all.

VE7EPP Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2014 19:23 Send this review to a friend
Great little radio with big features  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got the KX3 for portable CW. I've been taking it with me everywhere I go and using it portable, mobile, and base on CW and phone. I've had no problems making contacts usually at half of its rated 12 watts.

The only issues I have had were user issues that Elecraft quickly helped me through. I've become familiar with the KX3 in a very short time.

I've looked at QRP rigs and kits for quite a while and am very glad to have decided on a KX3 because it does everything very well and I make contacts on low power on phone and cw with ease.

The tuner in it tunes anything I tried. That's fine to fool the radio but not an efficient use of power in many cases. I've never seen a tuner that tunes anything. I'll just make sure my wire lengths are correct for the bands I'm on so I can get as much power out the antenna as possible.

This is a fun little radio with big features and I'm very pleased to have one.

David VE7CN / VE7EPP

VK2JNG Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2014 20:00 Send this review to a friend
Beyond expectation  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have had the KX3 now for several weeks. Has performed flawlessly.
Easy to learn the operation of it with a little effort although still learning more about it. Excellent features. ATU is amazing. I like the CW decoding very much and it works well. Had an issue on day 1 of ownership with the KX3 utility program running on a MacBook pro. Reported it to Elecraft and the issue was resolved within 4 days by means of a new version of the KX3 utility. Is that service or what? Never knew that QRP could be so much fun. Have had several contacts on 100mW.
Have on order the AT1 attenuator from Elecraft because I want to go lower then 100mW.
All up, very happy and the KX3 is definitely a keeper for me.

Gerard VK2JNG/P

W0GI Rating: 5/5 Feb 17, 2014 10:37 Send this review to a friend
QRP Heaven  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a fine little rig. The kit is easy, only a few hours, even going slow. The receiver is excellent, and since I have had a K3 for a few years, no problem with setup and operation of the controls.

I added all the options, and will probably add the 2m module when it is available. Loaded up 8 Eneloop XX cells, and having a great time with this gem. It just works great.

No reason to go on, as there are a lot of reviews, and I can't find one thing I don't like about this rig.

I guess there is one con. Since I have a K1, K2, K3, and now the KX3, I will have to build a KX1, so I have them all. :) Terrible.

As you can tell, I like Elecraft a lot. A great company. I haven't had such good experiences from the "little three".

They still make some good radios, and I still like my MK-V for SSB, but after getting burned a few times, with no support other then, "send it in for repair", I'm done with them :)

Elecraft and Ten-Tec can supply me with everything I need for operating, and they will help you fix problems, not blow you off.

If you have the cash, you can't go wrong with the KX3. It's a keeper.

K2TPZ Rating: 5/5 Jan 23, 2014 08:29 Send this review to a friend
Great radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have three fantastic rigs: KX3, Ten Tec Eagle and Kenwood TS 590. They all rate a 5+. With that said, no is perfect. If I could only keep one of these rigs I would have a tough time deciding.

The Eagle has the best received audio of the three with the KX3 following close behind. The KX3 is the most flexible of the three to operate and the TS 590 is a pleasure to use overall. On the downside, the Eagle lacks some features I wish it had, the TS 590 is a little less quiet to listen to and the KX3 is just a little (and I mean just a very little) less easy to use.

All three are on a par when it comes to selectivity, sensitivity and satisfaction of use. In my 55 years in the hobby I have finally found three rigs that I would find it hard to part with.

I am not an avid DX chaser (although I have my share of DX) or contester. I am mostly a CW operator although I spend some time on SSB Nets. Any one of these rigs would be an excellent station. I am just very lucky and satisfied to be able to own all three rigs.

WV4M Rating: 5/5 Jan 1, 2014 05:48 Send this review to a friend
This is a great rig!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased one of these little beauties second hand from a ham in Arizona. It has the internal tuner, roofing filter option, internal battery holder and I added the CW paddles. I agree with another ham in this forum...this rig is too good for QRP. I have it connected to a Tokyo Hy-Power HL-450B, with 12 watts drive I am getting 125 to 195 watts output, depending on which bands. So essentially I have been using it as my main rig. The receiver with noise blanker and noise reduction are very good, better than my old IC-756 Pro III that I sold after getting this rig. I highly recommend this transceiver to anyone who wants something state of the art. Oh, I also enjoy the PSK31 built in - of course it helps to know morse code which is the input method.

DM2LI Rating: 3/5 Dec 28, 2013 07:56 Send this review to a friend
could be much better  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
after I bought the unit I was quite satisfied with the receiver and the operational functionallity , easy and quite simple to use
but after a while I noticed that the receiver produced havy crossmodulation on the 10 m band, moreover I had to experiance that the transmitter produced unwanted sideband transmission.
all over all the mechanical construction and the finish-off did not satisfy me at all, for such a rather high priced unit I do await much more quality, but I can not complain on the support and service by Elecraft at all.they do respond very quickly!

G0OTT Rating: 5/5 Dec 26, 2013 10:48 Send this review to a friend
Awesome in all area's  Time owned: more than 12 months
#588 rx'd on 4th July 2012.
An easy assembly job, giving you an appreciation of the complexity and condensing of such technology!
This is my favourite RX ever owned, my K2 FT990 and Perseus hardly get switched on these day's.
I'm used to working dx qrp on cw but this is my first experience on ssb.
qrp /p is just incredible with this rig and a 22 foot gp over salt water.
Used it at home for this years CQWW, had a ball.
Dont listen to one on earbud's or cans', you will have to re-evaluate what your listening to and probably get one!!!
Most fun and versatile rig I have owned.
Mainly cw with a bit of ssb,
Merry Xmas es HNY Darren g0ott

K4YAB Rating: 5/5 Dec 25, 2013 07:53 Send this review to a friend
Impressed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Lots of Menus but what Radio isn't these days.
The hardest part I had was figuring out was the Menu related to the FSK D and Psk, CW. I learned how to tune in CW Stations now for it to Decode them.
I know there is auto Decode Display Graph...I had more sucess Just manually tuning with the VFO Knob slowly.
I think this is an excellent radio for $899.95. I built mine.