Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | TYT TH-9000 220MHz Mobile Help

Reviews Summary for TYT TH-9000 220MHz Mobile

Contact book

Battery voltage display
DTMF /2 tone/5 tone

ANI ID
Remote kill/ stun/ activate/ revive

EmergenCy alarm

Time-out Timer

Auto Power off
VFO step setting:5/6.25/10/12.5/20/25/50kHz

More info: http://www.tyt888.com/en/products/Detail.asp?ID=2055

You can write your own review of the TYT TH-9000 220MHz Mobile.

W4KQB Rating: 5/5 May 30, 2014 12:04 Send this review to a friend
Not bad for China  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have had now about 2 months-paid 150$ and had in my hand in 5 days. Have all good reports on audio. No glitter or anything , but, for what I needed for a mono band and not costing a bunch, works out just fine.

Good audio reports and using in the mobile, all is working fine , only wish it had a detachable control head. Would recommend to others.

K2YYN Rating: 4/5 Apr 23, 2014 18:10 Send this review to a friend
TYT 9000 Report, almost a Year Later  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Well it was abouth this time last year or almost a full year since I obtained the 220 MHz and 440MHz flavors of this TYT 9000 radio and so far so good, especially after surviving one of the worst winters in my area during my life time of about sixty years on this planet. It was very cold (-8 F) at times and damp, lots of snow and ice outside. But the radios did well in the vehicle operation wise no matter what the weather conditions were outside.

I thought I may have had a problem with the 220MHz receive. While monitoring my local 220MHz repeater a 2nd local 220MHz repeater’s signal was overloading the front end of the radio even when there was no signal present on my local repeater. I noticed this more so when the outside temperature was in the teens or lower and the radio was cold upon start up. However, when outside temperatures got warmer or when the car interior and the radio warmed up the receiver over loadings was less noticeable. Then it occurred to me, this only happened when I was within a mile and a half of the 2nd repeater (LOS). Most 220 MHz repeaters in my area are 25 to 50 watts output to their antennas. As I found out from the owner of the 2nd 220MHz repeater, this repeater is putting out to the antenna 160 watts to a high gain Super Station Master repeater antenna! No wonder the front end receiver was over loaded. Since then and in all my travels, including high RF areas I have not encountered this situation again in any other area on either the 220MHz or 440 MHz TYT 9000 radios. I digress…

So far the 220MHz and 440MHz are working quite well. I have a couple of UHF business frequencies that I am authorized to use, at the radio works well on these also.

So as I approach the one year mark of owner ship. I hope now to obtain the VHF (2 meter) version. I planning to use this radio with authorization of course, for Emergency Management and CERT channels in PW & IG Business Pool – Conventional – with all being narrow band Part 90 compliant.

I’ll post a comment on the TYT VHF radio after I break it in.

I would also like see others post here their own experiences with these TYT 9000 radios especially, if the radios are being used for Part 90 communications in Land Mobile, Industrial Business & Public Safety radio services.

Thanks for reading.

K2YYN

W8STU Rating: 5/5 Dec 5, 2013 07:33 Send this review to a friend
Great radio for the price!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just received this transceiver in the mail yesterday. I bought it direct from Advance Specialties Inc. Very fast shipping. I would highly recommend them.

I had my TYT TH-9000 up and running in ten minutes. Very easy to program. The manual is not the best, but I was able to figure it out with no problems. I have not got into all of the menus, but I was able to program the the transceiver without the included software and programming cable. Over all I am very pleased with the radio and would recommend it to anyone on a budget like I am. I only paid $173.00 shipped to my door. For the price and ease of programming I would highly recommend this transceiver. 73, Stu de W8STU

KY4TS Rating: 4/5 Sep 16, 2013 10:26 Send this review to a friend
Not bad for a cheap rig!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned and used this radio for a little over a year now and it's not a bad unit. The TYT is a decent, inexpensive alternative to the Alinco DR-235 (which I also own) and the Jetstream (I have 2 in one of the EOCs I'm involved with). The receive audio is decent, even with just the built in speaker and I've gotten good reports on the audio. It is a bit more difficult to program manually than the Alinco, so using the software is a big help. The volume control knob seems rather flimsy and would likely not survive a solid impact, so keep that in mind when mounting in a mobile. My only other nitpick is the lack of meaningful labels on the control head. Keep a cheat-sheet handy!
I had it mounted in my car for about 9 months and it was exposed to some really hot and really cold temps. Never gave me any problems. It is now mounted in the shack and still hasn't given me a bit of trouble. Overall, I would definitely recommend this radio to any operator looking to get on the 1.25m band.
In case you are interested, I bought mine from Radio-Mart. They have the best deal on these that I have found. (I am not affiliated with nor have any financial interest in their company.)

W2SWR Rating: 5/5 Aug 2, 2013 04:34 Send this review to a friend
Best Value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Its true, "no button labels". You have to keep the book handy, print a chart, or memorize the buttons but,for around $150, I will adapt!!! This rig is well built. The mic feels cheap but works well with good audio reports. I will be buying the 440 and 2 meter units real soon.

N4WDR Rating: 3/5 May 14, 2013 21:01 Send this review to a friend
typical Chinese, value over glitz  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Pros:
55 watts
great audio in and out
all the repeater tones and stuff you need
low low price

Cons:
Incredibly bad user interface, no labels on buttons, no info on screen, save the manual, you will need it.
RFI issues with home theater, electronic door bells. noisy sucker.

K2YYN Rating: 5/5 May 7, 2013 12:31 Send this review to a friend
Impressive and inexpensive unir  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This little TYT-9000 Chinese import mobile radio in all its three (3) flavors (VHF-Hi 130-174 MHz, 220 MHz & UHF 430-490 MHz) is an impressive little mobile unit. You can look up the specifications and read all the previous reviews yourself about its features, high power etc. My review here is to address those nice bonus features I have discovered about this radio.
What’s nice and most importantly, the TYT-9000 mobile is both FCC Type Accepted for Amateur Radio as well as Part 90 Approved (Land Mobile)
For us hams who are on a strict budget and also for those of us who also serve / volunteer in various Public Safety and / or Amateur Radio Emergency Services (OEM, EM, EMS, VFD, PD, ARES, RACES, RED CROSS, SALVATION ARMY etc…)you can have both Amateur and (with proper authorization from your agency/dept) Commercial/Public Safety frequencies in the same radio!
Unless your department or agency issues you a radio (s), our if your agency has sever budget cuts, or perhaps is just to cheap to issue you a radio, these radios are an affordable alternative option ( for less than $200 or about $150 - $170) and cheaper if you take the time and search for the best deal on line. Rather than purchasing from a higher priced “Commercial Big Boy Manufacturers” yourself. I need not mention here by name the “Big Boy” companies you know who “they” are.
These units may just fit your bill. All the radios are narrow band compliant. In latest firmware versions are 2.5 Hz especially on VHF Hi band. The biggest surprise for me are the CTCSS (PL)/DCS options. Not only can you set a different CTCSS (PL) for TX and RX. You can do the same with DCS, i.e. a different DCS each, one for TX and one for RX, also you can also mix the coded squelch formats with RX being CTCSS (PL) and TX being DCS or vise versa. This is more in line with the options the “Big Boy” manufacturers give their customers. Other amateur radio manufactures when is comes to DCS gave you the only option to set one DCS code for both TX/RX. Newer radios now on the amateur radio market may have addressed this, but again my review is of the TYT 9000, not them.
OK, that's my 2 bits here. Thanks for reading.

K2YYN

KB2VUQ Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2013 23:15 Send this review to a friend
Good Value...  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Found the TYT TH-9000 (220mhz model) to be a great value. To confirm what others have said, once you understand how to program the various parameters, it becomes easy to use without the software or cables, including alpha-numeric channel labeling.

One caveat to be aware of is the squelch and how the radio responds to extremely noisy signals. On simplex, if a mobile enters a marginal signal area (even with the squelch at 1), they simply drop out. The only "work around" is to have everybody involved in the QSO use tone encode / decode and set the squelch at 0). A bunch of us also found that using the compander along with encode / decode improves readability of extremely weak signals. Normally, we are encode only and the compander is off.

Now for something completely different...
I recently purchased a desk microphone from Lentini Communications for the TH-9000 radio. It's a chinese knock-off of a Motorola desk microphone. The outside is identical. The insides are similar, but not amplified. It is plug and play with the 8 pin modular connector and sounds good on the air. It should work on the vhf and uhf models as well, since they are wired the same.
Since TYT, Anytone and Vero are all made by TYT, I found this one by searching and it returned an EBay auction by Lentini....

Search this:
NEW ANYTONE QDM-01 DESK MIC for AT-5888UV Dual Band VHF/UHF Mobile

Best Regards,
KB2VUQ

N6WYY Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2013 14:25 Send this review to a friend
Best 220 Mobile for $150  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Looking for a 220 single band mobile. It's either this or an Alinco or Jetstream (both more expensive). I definitely made the right choice. I did not get the programming cable, but programming using the buttons/knob is not too bad. There were incorrect info in the manual. Pushing both the F key and a P key together doesn't work. Holding the respective P key for 2 sec achieves that same function.

I saw other reviews that mentioned cable/software are needed to program the alpha channel names. I found that not to be the case. Page 36 of the manual outlines the steps to put in alpha names using just the buttons/knob.

Here are some very brief instructions.
1) Program the frequencies/offset/tone and save in a memory.
2) While in channel mode for that memory, push the F key for 2 sec to enter into general setting menu.
3) Use P1/P2 key to select No. 11 menu.
4) Display would show 11 with a blinking cursor to the right.
5) Turn selector knob to select the first letter.
6) Push P5 key to confirm selected letter and advanced to next letter.
7) Use P3 key to return to previous letter.
8) After entering all the letters, push P4 key to exit.

I also found the Voice Compander (square ware symbol on the display) makes the sound worse, so I don't use it.

W6DPS Rating: 5/5 Feb 10, 2013 09:01 Send this review to a friend
Price at retail is a lot lower  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The MSRP may be $249, but the actual retail price runs about $150. Very good value for the money.