Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | TYT TH-9000 220MHz Mobile Help

Reviews Summary for TYT TH-9000 220MHz Mobile

Contact book

Battery voltage display
DTMF /2 tone/5 tone

ANI ID
Remote kill/ stun/ activate/ revive

EmergenCy alarm

Time-out Timer

Auto Power off
VFO step setting:5/6.25/10/12.5/20/25/50kHz

More info: http://www.tyt888.com/en/products/Detail.asp?ID=2055

You can write your own review of the TYT TH-9000 220MHz Mobile.

WA4DOU Rating: 5/5 Jul 1, 2017 16:13 Send this review to a friend
Very Good Value!  Time owned: more than 12 months
After a lifetime working as a land mobile radio tech, I discovered the Chinese radios and their oftentimes very low cost. Succumbing to curiosity, I eventually bought a couple different brands of dual band portables (2m/220) and a TH-9000 (220). After a year of TH-9000 ownership/experience, I gave it to my son as an incentive to get licensed, and I purchased the TH-9000D, which was the current offering. Having now developed several years experience with TYT, I would rank this brand high among the Chinese manufacturers. I programmed both versions through the keypad/front controls until recently, and the instructions are written better than many of the Chinese vendors. Some sloppy advertising attributes the 220 versions with output power of 65 watts but it's actually 50 watts and mine and others all seem to meet that spec. Medium power is 22 watts and low power is 8-9 watts. Receiver performance is quite good. I use mine with a 9 element yagi at 22 ft. high and with band enhancement, I've worked out to the 150-250 mile range. I've had no trouble at all with mine and I think it represents a great price point for 220 entry level. Have seen pricing from $98-$150.

W4KQB Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2017 16:05 Send this review to a friend
Good radio for the price  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had for two years-works very well-was simple to program local repeaters. Great audio reports. Would buy another.

KD8SII Rating: 0/5 May 15, 2016 01:09 Send this review to a friend
There is no documentation for this radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The manual is VERY poorly written (such bad grammar that I often can't even decipher what they even meant to say). The sentences that are grammatically correct tend to contain no useful information- for instance, it says that the P1 button is "call" ... but gives no hint as to what "call" does (if you press P1, the word "clone" appears in the display and the device stops responding to anything else until power-cycled). Just for an example.

As another example, by default it is set for a negative offset and there is (as another reviewer pointed out) no documented way to change that- you can change the offset but not whether plus or minus, and the offset cannot be disabled. Supposedly it's possible to make the radio usable via a programming cable, but all of my computers run non-windows OSs so no help there.

It does make an excellent brick, and could probably double as a hammer, but as a radio it has been a painfully bad experience. I can't even sell it (it would be unethical) as it would just cause someone else problems.

Stay away from this radio.

N9SSU Rating: 1/5 Jan 14, 2016 14:30 Send this review to a friend
Receive   Time owned: more than 12 months
I have bought 3 of the original 9000 models and 5 of the 9000D.

The 9000 original was flawless, ran cooler even on longer ragchews than the 9000D. After a few years, they are still working.

The 9000D which followed up the original 9000 is REALLY an overall failure. Bad QC.

The main issue is, as another poster below has pointed out, they will drop out receive for 1/2 to 2 seconds, randomly. It is NOT a mic, squelch or other modifiable issue. It is in the firmware, software defined instructions itself or some hardware failure. I have returned the last 3 from the same supplier and have washed my hands of this model. Other problems are a noisy volume potentiometer, run so hot you can burn yourself and the 65watts output is not even close, with 35 to 40 watts being more realistic on a Bird when the radio is COLD, even less when it heats up.

I have tested the Jetstream JT-222M which looks the same but uses a different wired/programmed microphone, buttons and hardware. It is reportedly a re-badged Anytone. I will review it shortly, but it does NOT have the RX dropout, mute, fade or whatever you want to call it problem. Your experience might be different, I hope it is, but it seems like others are reporting this problem too.

N9SSU

VE5RJM Rating: 2/5 Dec 8, 2015 18:49 Send this review to a friend
Controller & IRLP Setup  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I like the radio for what I have seen so far, it was easy to program with the software, and looks like it may be great to be used on IRLP, if I could get it setup correctly. For some reason it doesn't want to take the dtmf tones through the computer. With the modification installation and ordering the header cable for the db9 was quite simple.
I have noticed that connecting to a Arcom RC210 controller where the COS when Active requires <0.6 Volts, the TYT TH9000D only goes to about 1.5 volts. so it's not totally plug n play like it states on the internet.

If anyone has had the same problem or would like to share their thoughts on this, please email me:
ve5rjm@hotmail.com

73's
Randy

KD2T Rating: 0/5 Nov 18, 2015 06:39 Send this review to a friend
Offset issues  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just about the worse radio money can buy. Bought 2 of them, 220 and 2M from Amazon and both will not hold the repeater offset. Program it with the proper offset and shut the rig off and it adds a "0" to the offset number. So on 220 instead of 1600 you get 16000 after you shut it off. Also the 2M rig had a bad mic.
Anyone else have those problems?
They have no service,no help,save yourself a lot of aggravation.
To boot, trying to send them back to Hong Kong is a nightmare with little to no help from Amazon.

WB2JOB Rating: 5/5 Nov 8, 2015 16:13 Send this review to a friend
Great Little radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Received the TYT 9000d 220 radio a week go, very easy to program, had 6 of the 220 repeaters in my area up and running within of 15 minutes of reading the manual.
Much better manual then other Chinese manual I seen and read.
So far all reports have give me a great single report, output power set a 25 watts and bird meter say it's at 23.5 watts.
So far nothing to complain about.

NN4E Rating: 2/5 Sep 2, 2015 19:17 Send this review to a friend
cuts out on RX and TX   Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I picked this up used, New in box" several people I know have these and some experience the receive cutting out. Mince cuts out every few minutes, just long enough to be annoying and miss part of something. Unplugging the microphone as I've heard it is a mic problem does nothing to help.

VA3WV Rating: 0/5 Jul 11, 2015 17:29 Send this review to a friend
junk  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This came with a Chinese manual and programming software. I then had to download a photo copy of the English instructions which are as useless as the Chinese. So now it isn't programmable it's stuck with a minus offset yet won't transit the - offset, it won't restore it's self because the instruction are wrong. IT'S JUNK and going back to China. STAY away from these radios they are a huge was of time and completely frustrating! DO not waste your time, because that's what I'm doing right now and not very happy after I spent time and money to get on 220. I've had it 2 days and spent oh 10 hours of nothing but frustration on it.

K4HYJ Rating: 4/5 Mar 22, 2015 12:37 Send this review to a friend
So fas so good  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Performs OK - on some TX frequencies the output is slightly off according to test equipment, but not enough to cause distorted audio.

It is very difficult to program manually. The software and programming cable are a must!

The mic connector had problems after about 2 weeks use in the shack, but radio mart replaced it quickly. It gets unusually hot running 5 watts compared to a Kenwood and Yaesu mobile I also have running in my shack - so we will see on its longevity.