Reviews Categories | Microphones | Electro-Voice RE-320 Help

Reviews Summary for Electro-Voice RE-320
Electro-Voice RE-320 Reviews: 11 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $299
Description: Variable-D dynamic vocal and instrument microphone
More info: http://www.electrovoice.com/product.php?id=1065

You can write your own review of the Electro-Voice RE-320.

NC3Z Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2017 07:02 Send this review to a friend
Great performer and good looking!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I had heard several RE320's on the air and they all sounded great so I ordered one. I was using a Heil PR-22 which was working very well but wanted something different and loved the look of the 320.

Between the 2 no one could tell the difference in numerous A/B tests, both always got very good audio reports.

But the 320 won out only because I like dthe way it looked in the shack.

The kicker is always getting unsolicited great audio reports, even more meaningful when DX gives you these reports as you know you are getting their attention and they are taking time out of their run to tell you so.

Setup is the 320 straight into a Yaesu FTDX5000MP, of course with the proper EQ in the 5000 and good compression.

N2RRA Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2017 19:07 Send this review to a friend
Absolutely Stunning!  Time owned: more than 12 months
An absolutely superb looking and performing mic.

Done some comparison's between a couple other mic's of similar quality and design. The out come was the RE-320 shinned in proximity effect, great overall balance across the frequency spectrum and very nice articulation on the top end.

It'll stay here a long time. See no need to swap it for another anytime soon.

73 all and enjoy your purchase should you do so.

W9OY Rating: 5/5 Sep 17, 2016 20:19 Send this review to a friend
Great Mic  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my RE320 for about a year. I use it on my Flex 6700 and find it perfectly tailored for the SDR radios. The gain curve is pretty flat to about 4k and gently rises in gain to 18k. It has good output and I can driver my radio just into ALC (the sweet spot on Flex radios) at less than 2/3 of the gain range. Its gain is about 2x the gain of a RE20, the broadcasters gold standard. I use my Mic to the single ended front panel Mic plug on the Flex even though it was designed for XLR balanced service. I use the proper Heil cable to join the XLR Mic jack to the 8 pin round front panel radio Mic jack (CC1-XLR Y), which works fine with no RF on the line and gives me PTT. I also use this mic on my Flex 6300 which does not have the XLR balanced input, so it's a one cable solution for my needs.

The mic is not a clone of the RE320 but a completely different animal. The RE20 is hand built and has over 200 parts while the 320, also hand built has only 25 parts, but they do share a similar body. The 320 was designed for articulate audio and has a super low mass plastic diaphragm specifically made for responsiveness. It also has the EV variable D feature which means you can turn your head away from the mic without loosing volume or becoming muffled.

With the Flex radio I need very little processing/eq to acheive superior results. For my voice I set the radio's SSB filter bandwidth to 190-3100 (2900hz) and add only a couple dB of boost to the highest graphic EQ bands, leaving the others flat. The Flex has a CESSB speech processor and I run that just turned on. CESSB is a digital processing technique designed by W9GR that increases the average power of the transmitted SSB signal by 2.4 dB without distortion and is used on commercial digital TV signals.

I went to this Mic after I heard a fellow in Arkansas on the Flex net using it on his Flex 3000. He had the best ham radio audio I ever heard. I bought mine from ebay for $200. 73

KA4KOE Rating: 5/5 Dec 31, 2015 08:17 Send this review to a friend
Really Nice Microphone and Audio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Incredible sound with a nice peak around 3 KHz. Fits my voice well. I purchased as a package deal from BSW, including shock mount, boom hardware, and an anti-pop screen.

Friends noticed my audio immediately without prior warning, saying "WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO YOUR AUDIO!?? Philip, you've never sounded this good."

Prior to acquiring the RE-320, I was using a decent Shure SM-58.

The EV-320 is a great microphone.

W3LQ Rating: 5/5 Apr 15, 2014 04:35 Send this review to a friend
Get this Microphone!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am a microphone junky. I have a pretty large collection of Condenser, electrets and dynamics. I just picked this mike up a couple of days ago on Ebay for a great price. I use this mike with my Prosonus preamp anbd Behringer 12 channel mixer.

This mike is currently being used with my Kenwood TS 590. After several on air comparisons with other mikes, this one wins out. I particularly like the two position flat/kick drum filter switch. The kick drum filter position fits my voice perfectly.

Would I buy this mike again?? Yes!! You can pick one of these babies up in mint condition on eBay for less than $200.

Grab this microphone.

WA0TPN Rating: 5/5 Oct 7, 2013 19:25 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had never had an interest in investing in expensive audio accessories until I heard a great sounding signal from an Elecraft K3 using a Heil Pro Line microphone.

Having just purchased an Elecraft K3 for myself I went ahead and purchased a new Electro-Voice RE-320 and boom assembly just to experience something new.

I used the demo version of Spectra-Plus to set the transmit audio equalization built into the K3. Immediately I began to receive unsolicited "nice audio" reports.

Today, after checking into a 75-meter phone net with relatively poor band conditions a station called me after the net ended to ask "what are you running? ...you audio sounds great!"

The $360 that I invested in the EV-320 mic, boom, mic adapter and cables seems to have made a noticeable improvement in audio quality.

Having great SSB audio is easy...all it takes is money... and 30 minutes or so to set the rig up properly using free/demo spectral analysis software.

I am very pleased with the results.

W6LBV Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2013 08:36 Send this review to a friend
Price equals performance  Time owned: more than 12 months
A year has passed since my first review of the Electrovoice RE-320, and I’ve gained much more experience with it. Its use on-air in my station continues to yield exceptional results. But the RE-320 is too expensive to justify its use solely for Amateur radio. It can and needs to do more.

I have now done several series of standardized “recording direct to digital media” tests of my speaking voice involving all the microphones in my collection. No input or output equalization was used for these wideband audio tests, and only sufficient gains to make the testing practical. The (subjective) results from test to test were consistent.

The overall “full bandwidth voice quality” produced by the RE-320 is easily superior to the other mikes in my collection, all of which are lower in cost. When recording with the RE-320 there seems to be no excessive “bottom end” boominess, no pronounced sibilants, no noticeable coloration added to various voice sub-bands. Just straightforward, clean voice audio.

But there is much more also. The very tight cardioid pattern almost completely rejects off-axis room echoes, fans and other background noise, even when it is operating in a location where an omnidirectional studio condenser mike clearly records these. The internal “pop” filter almost completely eliminates ‘plosives, but an external filter could be added if desired. The nearly complete lack of a “presence effect” means that distance between the lips and the front of the mike is not critical.

But beyond even all of this another, rather subjective, factor dominates. The finished “work” produced by this mike in the “voice over” style of recording gives a feeling of what can only be described as “intimacy,” something that is not found with the other mikes. The voice is there, and it is full and mellow even without processing. But it is a solitary voice, not embellished with room reverb, background noises, or for that matter anything else. It is though the listener and the speaker were standing closely together talking in a large empty field on a windless day. It’s “The Voice,” solely the voice, and nothing else!

Now I really understand why this series of dynamic mikes is so popular for broadcast announce duties! The RE-320 (and its older brothers, the RE-20 and RE-27N/D) are probably too expensive to justify owning exclusively for Amateur use, with its very modest requirements for speech. But the RE-320 is still a joy to have in service since, compared to my other microphones, it so clearly demonstrates how “price equals performance!”

AC4R Rating: 5/5 Sep 16, 2012 16:32 Send this review to a friend
Top Notch Mic  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This mic appears to be a cross between the RE-20 and RE-27. I have the shock mount and mounted it on an O C White boom. Great setup producing excellent audio. You cant go wrong with this broadcast type mic. See you on AM.

W6NFL Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2012 16:12 Send this review to a friend
Great Mic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ive had a bunch of mics over the years including almost all of the Heil offerings including the PR 781 and PR 40 and the Goldlines (i have a GM5 also in the shack). These are all good mics for sure but,the RE-320 will shock you on how well it sounds up against those mics. It produces extremely smooth round audio. Its almost the clone of the popular RE 20 at a lower price. You can find sellers on ebay selling them new at a much lower price than your local retailer or if your lucky, find a used one here on eham or qth.com.

W1GNK Rating: 5/5 Feb 19, 2012 00:15 Send this review to a friend
Both Looks And Sound!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This microphone will someday be a legend in the ham radio committee. Its share the same body as its more expensive siblings the re20 and re27 N/D. It has a nice black matte finish and fits into the EV 309A broadcasters shock mount. Its performance would best be described "smooth and natural". If you are using one of the newer DSP rigs you should have no problem tailoring the audio to your liking. An older analog rig may need a little external EQing to find that sweet spot. On the street you can find the re-320 from $199 to $240. Though not cheap, well worth every penny