Reviews Categories | Microphones | Heil Gold Elite Microphone Help

Reviews Summary for Heil Gold Elite Microphone
Heil Gold Elite Microphone Reviews: 6 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $$160.00
Description: The new Gold Elite microphone is designed and crafted specifically for amateur radio communications. Ir contains two distinctly different high perfromance elements that are available at the flip of a switch to meet the diffeerent types of communications

You can write your own review of the Heil Gold Elite Microphone.

W7ZZZ Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2013 14:25 Send this review to a friend
Superior Quality Mic.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a very good microphone. I have a GM-5 also. This mic. is every bit as good as the GM-5, but with better frequency response. I'm using the exact same mic. setting numbers and EQ numbers that I use with the GM-5 in my IC-7410...and get equally good unsolicited reports of outstanding "broadcast quality" audio. The HC-5.1 element used in the Elite is an HC-5 with slightly wider response. What's not to like?

W0DT Rating: 2/5 Aug 25, 2013 18:39 Send this review to a friend
one okay one not  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had this unit for about a year or more.
The wide cartridge works very well, the narrow is crap. I called when first receiving it, complaining about output on the narrow unit and report was thats the way it is.
If you plan to use the narrow, get a different mike.
I do have other Heil mics that work Fine.
Later and 73
Don W0dt

KI4WMO Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2013 08:35 Send this review to a friend
Great Microphone Once you Set your settings correctly  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Maybe the OM who gave the 1 review had a bad mic - happens I suppose. But, this microphone has been nothing but great for me. I use it with a TS-590S. After some time with the radio's equalizer settings, I get excellent audio reports and high avergae power out on SSB using either element - the wide or the narrow. I also got good audio reports running flat with no EQ on the TS-590, but I think that the TS-590 itself is designed in a way that Kenwood intends you to use the processor to tailor your audio as part of the AF/RF chain on transmit anyway (which helps with avergae power out).

The narrow element does appear, initially, to have less drive than the wide, but this is to be expected. Depending upon your radio, you may have to turn up the mic gain when using the narrow element, especially if you are not using the processor. For me, this is not a big deal, as frankly, if I'm not using the radio's speech processor, I'm probably using the wide element anyway for better fidelity. The narrow element often does help, particularly with a boost from the speech processor, with working weaker stations.

Interestingly, I think the correct element to use will also depend on the other side's audio set up. Usually, with weaker signals, the narrow element is good. But, I've had a few instances of working a weak signal where the other side reported better copy with the wide element. Average and Peak Power were about the same, no splattering was reported. Actually, this is what I really like about this mic - if you get your radio set up correctly (at least on mine) you can switch your voice characteristics with a single switch. This had made a substantial difference in a couple of borderline contacts.

Remember that everyone's voice is different, and the human voice is complex. I went through a lot of microphone trials before settling on this mic. The microphone type and element that works best for you will depend on a lot of variable factors, so make sure to experimet as much as possible before buying.

Could I have obtained a microphone for general usage SSB that would have done the basic job cheaper? Probably? Would it have both elements installed and changeable so easily? Probably not, but possibly. But, I also plan to use this microphone for non-ham radio uses, and really, compared to the other cheaper mics I tried, this had a truer and more articulate reproduction of my voice than other cheaper (and more expensive) options. Your results may vary.

W8GTX Rating: 5/5 May 13, 2012 14:10 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Using an Icom IC-7410. I constantly get unsolicited excellent audio reports and comments about the broadcast quality. Not sure about the 1 rating below?? Excellent audio response and really drives the radio well. I know six others who are also using this mike with various radios and they sound superb when the settings for the radio vs mic are right. One even has it on a 718 and he sounds good given the limited TBW of that radio. I'm using no EQ interface. Maybe it's the pipes :-)

WX7Y Rating: 1/5 Mar 4, 2012 19:16 Send this review to a friend
VERY Disappointed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Heil has done a real injustice to the GOLD line of Microphones with the "Gold Elite" with the HC5.1 element. I have a GM-5 which is a wonderful MIC but the problem with the Gold Elite is that the Audio output of the HC5.1 element is at least half of what the wide element is and requires you to drive the MIC gain up on the radio TWICE as much as with the wide element.
With the Flex 5000 the gain goes from 13 to 26 and on the Elecraft K3 level goes from 30 to the MAX of 60 which doesn't quite make it to full ALC. on the meter.
The "Goldline 5" which uses the same wide element and the HC5 element are balanced almost perfectly.
I will be trying to return the Gold Elite and see if I can find another GM-5 tomorrow.
I Emailed Heil and they said that is how the HC5.1 Element is and is working normally
To BAD it's a beautiful MIC.

Bret WX7Y

N6NJS Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2012 08:47 Send this review to a friend
Great Mic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have used this mic for a week now and my friends on 75 meters tell me that my audio is great using the wide element. I currently have the mic on my Kenwood TS-480HX. The mic gain on the radio is at 30 percent and I close talk the mic one inch away. I have used the speech processor at 50 percent with no distortion for more punch. The boys on 75 did not care for the narrow element but that would be used on DX anyway. This mic is for sure a real keeper. In a few months I plan on getting new TS-590s and we'll see how it works there.