Reviews Categories | QRP Radios (5 watts or less) | Wilderness SST Help

Reviews Summary for Wilderness SST
Wilderness SST Reviews: 33 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $85,00
Description: 2-watt, ultra-portable CW rig w/superhet RX
More info: http://www.fix.net/~jparker/wilderness/sst.htm

You can write your own review of the Wilderness SST.

KB1NSB Rating: 5/5 Nov 8, 2007 18:26 Send this review to a friend
K1KUZ-- Great high quality radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I chose this rig because of all the positive reviews, and ordered a 30 meter SST. This kit is very well done, with a superb manual and nicely layed out PC board. The fit and alignment of all the parts was great! and the rig fired up first shot. I have'nt QSOed with it yet,still making up an antenna for it, but I see no problem there. I like this rig so much I bought one for 20 meters! Great stuff Bob! Tnx es 73, K1KUZ/QRP

KO6Z Rating: 5/5 Aug 27, 2006 15:54 Send this review to a friend
Nice rigs - great service .  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently built the 20- and 40-meter SSTs for mostly portable use. They haven't left the shack or the patio yet, but I've been having lots of fun with them. Performance is pretty amazing for such a tiny rig. I needed some help with the 40 meter version (my mistake). QRP Bob was great. Highly recommend both the rig and Wilderness radio.

K3MD Rating: 5/5 Jul 28, 2006 17:03 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Extremely cute radio, built on vacation. Had diode in backwards, very friendly and easy service for not much money (unlike some other QRP companies). Works very well.

KB5JO Rating: 5/5 Feb 22, 2006 11:28 Send this review to a friend
Impressive!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I selected the SST-20M because of the low parts count, and only needing to wind 4 toroids. This was my first attempt building a transceiver, having previously built a marker generator and tenna dipper. The instructions are first class, the kit is very well designed, comes with everything needed to completely assemble the transceiver. After about 4 hours, I connected a 12V gel cell, straight key, dummy load, and headphones. Alignment involves adjusting two trimmer capacitors and one potentiometer. I adjusted the output to about 1.5 watts, connected up my antenna, answered a W7 in Washington State calling CQ, and received a 549 report. I have nothing but good to say about this little rig, the performance is pretty awesome for something this small and easy to construct. It's a real kick to QSO using something built on your own bench. I’m looking forward to taking it on a field trip.

NN1F Rating: 5/5 Apr 11, 2005 17:41 Send this review to a friend
great first rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
this was the first rig I built.I built the 20 meter first and then ordered the 40 meter. Made many contacts with it. I used it for my summer place on Marthas Vineyard. Ran a Gusher antenna for 20 meters in my attic and made many DX contacts. I refuse to sell this rig. I hope to pass it on to my son when he gets his license and maybe we can talk to each other when he is in school and away from home. Highly recommend! Easy to build. Worked first time.

KA4AXS Rating: 5/5 Apr 11, 2005 14:40 Send this review to a friend
Great first kit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My first transceiver kit and I’ve never soldered on a board. Although overwhelmed when I first looked at the bag of parts, I took my time, followed the exact directions and it took me one weekend to complete. I started on a Friday night which took me 3 hours to inventory all the parts and identify them and by Sunday night I had made 2 QSOs which were over 600 miles away with 1.75 watts. Here are my suggestions from a new guy to kits.

1. Inventory the parts by taping them to several sheets of white paper. Keep all the capacitors and resistors etc together and label them IAW the parts list. I had to use the magnifier on my Radio Shack “Helping Hands” to read most of the parts. In addition, I used an Ohms meter to test the resistors to confirm the proper part.
2. Search the web and find a good photo of the finished board. I had a color photo, which helped me find the location for each part faster than looking at the black and white diagram.
3. I bought all my supplies at Radio Shack and everything worked fine for this kit.
a. 15 watt soldering iron with pencil point
b. High tech rosin core silver bearing solder
c. Helping hands with magnifier – a must if you want to be able to see and have the board secure while you work on it.
d. Small wire snips and needle nose pliers
e. BNC to 239 connector for the antenna
f. 12 volt, 500 mAh power supply
4. My technique was to put no more than 2 or 3 parts on the board at one time. After several parts are soldered on the board, it can be confusing trying to locate the place to solder. I would only snip one side of the part for 2 or 3 parts, then solder, then snip the other side, one at a time in order to locate the spot. The board is very high quality and I never had a problem with the solder running. I was nervous for the first few parts but once I got the hang of it, it was fine.
5. My radio worked the first time and with the 12 volt power supply, I put out 1.75 to 2 watts of power into my short G5RV antenna (30 feet up) which is tuned to 1:1. The receiver is very quiet and the controls are smooth. I turn down the volume to key the transmitter and then turn the volume back up to listen for a response.
6. This is a great first kit and gives you confidence that you can actually do something of this nature and get it to work the first time. After 27 years as a ham, I was pleased with this kit.

WA9NPS Rating: 5/5 Apr 5, 2004 17:34 Send this review to a friend
Great portable QRP  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought and built my SST40 about 5 years ago. Added a simple mod yesterday to eliminate howl with strong signals. It's even better than excellent now to operate! It cover approx 7.038 to 7.045 with a very selective reciever. The crystal filtering is excellent. I use mine with a MK-64MB paddle, phones or speaker, and 8 "AA" cells or pwr supply. It's a great little rig for the price! Very low current draw and weighs only about 7OZ. Making it perfect for hiking, backpacking, camping, or general use.

K8EAB Rating: 5/5 Aug 24, 2003 19:41 Send this review to a friend
Lots of performance for the cost ...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
"QRP BOB" of Wilderness Radio was in the middle of a move from Cailfornia to Missouri ... he dug through the boxes that his moving van delivered and kitted an SST-30 and sent it to me ... I got the kit Saturday and assembled it in about 5 hours on Sunday ... less than hour after completing aseembly, I had a nice 20-minute QSO with W9GHT in Wisconsin (just under 800 miles) ... my RST was 539 ... a hot receiver, full QSK, 2-3 watts out, and 15 to 20 KHz of band coverage in a very small package ... lots of fun, and you can't ask for a nicer guy/company to do business with than "QRP BOB" ...

DL2NEP Rating: 5/5 Jul 31, 2003 17:40 Send this review to a friend
The best QRP-Rig ever  Time owned: more than 12 months
Very good Receiver. I worked JA, W, HS, RA9, ...
from Germany with this rig (2Watts out). Very easy to build. (abt. 4..5h). I´ve added a small PK3 keyer unit to make this rig "perfect".

DK3QN Rating: 5/5 Jun 26, 2003 13:58 Send this review to a friend
a real CW TRX  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have built the 40 m version. Had to swap the original crystal with a paralleled pair of other crystals to get down to the European CW band.

This kit is real fun. It's easy to build and takes probably 4 to 5 hours to finish the kit. So you don't have to wait too long until you see the red LED coming up and listen to other station's signals.

Front end selectivity on 40m is not good enough to avoid intermod problems in Europe during evenings/night. The rear side ATT var resistor brings the little box back to it's appropriate MDS level during such band propagations.

The built-in crystal CW filter was a nice surprise. It's rather narrow, which I like.

It's still an ongoing surprise for me to see what you can hear and reach with this little box and just 2 watts of output power. Perfect for back-packing.