Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Alinco DJ-X10 Help

Reviews Summary for Alinco DJ-X10
Alinco DJ-X10 Reviews: 7 Average rating: 3.4/5 MSRP: $349.95 approx
Description: Handheld wideband receiver, covers .1 to 1999.9999 Mhz AM,FM,WFM,USB,LSB and CW. 1200 channel memory, alpha tagging on memories, channel scope, multi scanning.
More info: http://www.alinco.com/

You can write your own review of the Alinco DJ-X10.

WD8AQS Rating: 4/5 Mar 18, 2009 22:11 Send this review to a friend
Pleasantly surprised with this handheld receiver  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought my radio used, just got the radio, no antenna, no battery pack. Cost about the price of two large pizzas and I really didn't expect much from it. I put an old 2 meter telescoping antenna on it plus a $5 AA battery pack (thanks R&L!).

Powered it up and to my surprise it worked great. I was also surprised at the sensitivity on the HF frequencies including 80 meters, selectivity wasn't bad for a broadband receiver. AM BC band works fine and scans my favorite VHF/UHF with ease.
The menus are fairly easy to learn and memory storage is pretty painless. The case seems more sturdy then my Yupiteru MVT-7100.

It does seem to be power hungry and battery life is not the best. Its power jack is a strange size but I have found a DC cable for it that fits perfect, from an Insignia portable DVD player.

Overall, I think its a keeper and a fun little receiver but wouldn't pay much more then a C-note for one.

KC2PUA Rating: 1/5 Feb 6, 2008 20:44 Send this review to a friend
lesson learned dont buy it  Time owned: more than 12 months
I SAVED MY HARD EARNED MONEY FOR THIS PIECE BOUGHT IT FROM GROVE WITH ALL THE OPTIONS AND I WAS SO EXCITED I COULDN'T SLEEP.

THIS WAS SUMMER OF 06;

IT CAME IN A 1985'S LOOKING BOX
IT WAS AWFUL ON ALL BANDS FOR RECEIVE,JUST AWFULL.
THE PORTABILITY WAS GREAT THE FUNCTIONS OK DOABLE

THATS FACT
I BOUGHT FILTERS AMPIFIERS HOOK IT UP TO MY HAM ANTENNAS
NO HOPE

ITS AWFULL THE ABSOLUTE WORST 400.00 DOLLARS SPENT

I WISH SOMBODY WROTE THIS FOR ME TO READ.

GW4YZ Rating: 3/5 Mar 25, 2004 20:40 Send this review to a friend
Alinco DJ-X10 Problems  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Excellent set but and big but the press keys failed one by and made the set impossible to operate. Had it cleaned but made little difference. So poor marks in my book for reliability!

JLL711 Rating: 4/5 Mar 1, 2003 20:26 Send this review to a friend
Good radio  Time owned: months
I have owned my Alinco for about 4 years. My biggest complaint is the recharable battery packs. Both are useless now due to memory. I am getting the battery pack for actual batteries from Grove in a few days. The antenna that comes with the unit is not very good either, buy a different one to get some of the lower freqs. Other than the slow scan speed and battery packs, the unit feels good and with a 1000 memories is a good unit to have in any radio shack.

NOHAM Rating: 4/5 Mar 30, 2002 22:21 Send this review to a friend
Not Bad  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bad points:
1) With the stock antenna, reception not what it should be. But with a better antenna, there's a lot of "intermod" (picking up 2 meter signals and 450 kHz signals on the airband, etc.).
2) Most scanners give you some "hang time," allowing for a few seconds of dead air between the time that one person stops talking and the other replies. The DJ-X10 doesn't, and resumes scanning as soon as the first person stops talking, causing you to miss most of the conversation.
3) To avoid receiving cell images, the 935 to 950 MHz range has been blocked, making it impossible to listen to the many businesses using these frequencies.

Good points:
1) Lots of memories
2) Reception of broadcast shortwave signals very good
3) Very heavy duty feel physically

N2JBP Rating: 4/5 Mar 29, 2002 05:03 Send this review to a friend
FUN TO USE  Time owned: more than 12 months
GOOD SENSITIVITY EVERYWHERE BUT BELOW 30 MHZ, WHERE AN PREAMPED ANTENNA IS NEDDED (LIKE THE ACTIVE DUCK). CONFUSING TO SET THE MEMORIES, TOOK ME AN HOUR FOR THE FIRST BANK ALONE! DROP IN CHARGER AND SECOND INCLUDED BATTERY IS A NICE TOUCH. I UNDERSTAND THAT THERE IS A NEWER MODEL NOW OUT SO THE RECEIVER WILL PROBABILY FOUND AT A NICE DISCOUNT, MAKING IT AN EXCELLENT ADDITION TO ANY SHACK.

KB8DNS Rating: 4/5 Jan 27, 2001 02:15 Send this review to a friend
Receives most everything, lacking a bit  Time owned: more than 12 months
Seen one of these at AES's Super Fest as a prototype, I had to get one.
Found mine used on the internet for a good price, $185! Lots of good features but lacking in several areas. Easy to use and has good audio but the memory banks take a bit getting used to. Frequency display is accuate but LSB is a tad off, I wouldn't want to try to tune this rig on frequency internally! CW seems to have a narrow filter built-in Great sound listening to SW broadcasts! Band scope is coarse but usable but only with certain band width tuning, the dot matrix display is too coarse to use for small tuning increments. Back lighting on the LCD display is not the best and contrast is poor but is can be darkened. Based on Alinco's dual band HT it is not good on battery usage. Mine came with two nicads? (should have been one nicad and a AA pack). Antenna woks only marginal but using an external antenna overloads the front end. Best is MFJ's dual band telescoping BNC whip. Good constuction and has a good heavy feel.
I've used mine for "FOX HUNTS" and it is my "secret" weapon! It has an excellent S meter! other than the display and batteries the rig is a good receiver for the money but is close to six years old. Alinco could update this radio. I like it! Rod KB8DNS