Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | SteppIR MonstIR Pro DB-42 Help

Reviews Summary for SteppIR MonstIR Pro DB-42
SteppIR MonstIR Pro DB-42 Reviews: 2 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $6095
Description: The DB42 Monstir Pro is currently the largest of the Dream Beam series of Yagi antennas, with 5 elements on 20m-6m and 3 elements on 40/30. For those who aspire to the pinnacle of performance, the DB42 provides coverage from 80m through 6m (with optional 80m dipole kit). The DB42 has a 49 ft looped driven element. This patented design allows us to make the end loop elements only 39 feet long, yet the performance is as if all 3 of the loop elements are 49 feet long. The folded dipole loop technology lets the footprint be 40% less than that of a full size yagi, losing only 0.4dB in gain performance.

The DB42 has a optional 80M dipole that works with the SDA100 controller for effortless tuning throughout the entire 80M band. The dipole runs parallel to the boom and uses the end elements as capacity hats, creating zero interaction with the rest of the antenna.

The 6m passive element option for the DB42 adds 3x fixed elements to the antenna, for a total of 8 elements on 6m. With no interaction or wind load added to the antenna, this option creates a 6m Yagi with 14.0 dBi of gain and 25 dB of front to rear!
More info: http://www.steppir.com/db42-monstir-pro-yagi-antenna

You can write your own review of the SteppIR MonstIR Pro DB-42.

W6RS Rating: 5/5 Jul 23, 2017 08:39 Send this review to a friend
Amazing Antenna!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I recently replaced a SteppIR DB-18E with a DB-42. Although the DB-18E was an outstanding antenna I realized that this was probably my last "serious" DX station and wanted to maximize it. The first thing one notices is how large this antenna is. It is NOT for the neophyte to build or install. The first step of the instructions has you do an parts inventory and that alone took the better part of a day. The actual build, working at it part time, took several weeks. It is a mechanically and electrically complicated antenna and should be built slowly and carefully with out rush and double (triple) checking everything. You don't want problems once this big beast is up in the air! Once I was satisfied that it had been assembled correctly and thoroughly checked out the big day arrived. The old antenna came down and the DB-42 went up with the assistance of a 120 foot boom crane. Now that I have been using it for a couple of months I can honestly say that I couldn't be happier. The first things you notice is the phenomenal front to back and front to side. Having three elements on 40 meters is truly a wonderful experience. As with all SteppIR antennas the instant 180 degree reverse feature is amazing. Being able to check signals long/short path with the push of one button saves time and rotor wear. The materials are all first class and heavy duty. I look forward to many years using this antenna. Was it expensive, Hell yes. Is it worth it, Hell yes. This is a big, heavy antenna and demands nothing short of a HEAVY duty tower and rotator. Once it's up your will be pleased at how you open a band and how short the wait in pileups are when calling. I have no hesitation recommending the DB-42 Dream Beam!

LA3ZPA Rating: 5/5 Mar 3, 2012 02:11 Send this review to a friend
Evry Ham's Dream Beam  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have a 36.5 (120 feet) meters crank-up tower, the tower can handle 1 x large dish, or several small antennas in the stack. My choice was Optibeam 18-6 OB or DB-42, the choice was DB-42. 8 elements yagi 6m, and 60 and 80 meter dipole what impact givene of my choice. I do not have the opportunity and have a great 6m yagi, and a rotatable dipole for 80m on the same tower. I am very happy with my choice, it is what some bumps along the way, before I got that, and work. The first manual from SteppIR, had many holes, and installations of antenna, was unnecessarily complicated. SteppIR has improved the manual many times since then, the new owner's pleasure. This is a very complicated antennas, and assemble together, especially if you are all alone, which I do not recommend. I got help from LA8DW LA3ZH and at the end of the assembly, thanks to Karl-Gustav and Leif for your help. So back to the most important, how is it on the air. It is not even faith, which passed this antenna provides, I have salt water 270 degrees 50-70 meters from the antenna, there is no cons. 80m, is surprisingly good, it looks like I keep up with the station around me with full size 4SQ, which surprised me greatly. I had not expected at all, now is the antenna for 53 meters above sea level, so it's not amazing, and much salt water around the antenna. 60 meters and appears to work very well, have not tested it much, but it seems promising. For an antenna on 30/40meteren on 40meter I run VK / ZL and JA Long wire, hanging low, and the G5RV at low altitude, stations with good antennas from ZL / VK is the 59 + + + both ways. This is what I paid for, great. 20 to 10 m, for a performance, this is not even faith, for an antenna, yes it is expensive, and it works. I have little noise at my QTH, so I use pre.amp in position 2 on my Icom IC-7700, if I can hear them, I can work them, with good reports, even now I have great problems with and hear the other end, what more can ask for? So for them to run QRP, this is the one and the antenna. I am running mostly from 200w to 1 kW to the antenna, and then before I 59 + + + booming as the report back. I've run as low as 200mW to ww1ww about 6000km with 5/5 raport, what more can forlange.180 degrees the ability of equal performance, easy and skjekke LP / SP conditions, another advantage that only SteppIR offer. I have had only one QSO on 6m, with OH1, about 1600km Arora ships. Look out that 6m is also a killer. Got message via Skype, that's what more people could hear me, unless I heard them. Looking forward to 6m season starts soon.