Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Kenwood TH-K20A Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TH-K20A
Kenwood TH-K20A Reviews: 7 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $140.00
Description: The Kenwood TH-K20A is a rugged 2 meter HT with up to 5.5
watts of power and straight-forward operation. You get 200
memories and multiple scan modes are supported. CTCSS/DCS is
included. The TH-K20A comes with KNB-63L Li-ion 1130 mAh,
KSC-35S drop in charger, SMA flexible antenna, belt clip and
three Owner's Manuals.
Features:
5.5/2.5/1 Watts RF Output, Backlit LCD, Weather Alert,
Keypad Entry, Easy Operation, Internal VOX, 200 Memories,
CTCSS/DCS, Narrow Band FM Ready.
More info: http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Communications/Amateur_Radio/Portables/TH-K20A

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TH-K20A.

VE2LAM Rating: 5/5 Oct 19, 2013 18:17 Send this review to a friend
Basic but user friendly like none other!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had other Kenwood portables like the TH-F6A, TH-26, TH-28, TH-22, TH-K2AT, TH-D72A, and this TH-K20A stands very well against any of its predecessors. It stands very well against its actual competitors also (and one of its recent brother, the 72A). What I like about this radio?
Lithium-ion battery, cradle charger, charges in 3 hours, excellent tonal quality of received audio, plenty of volume, =>analog<= volume (no "notches" that gives volume staircase-style increments), no more "thump" in earphone when signal drops, very efficient antenna --no need to replace it with an after-market one--, the screen is in center and a bit recessed so less prone to scratches, keys a bit bigger than on the K2AT, nice back-lighting, lightweight, and it is slimmer and narrower than what Internet pictures shows.
it has a *very* direct-friendly-intuitive functions and programming interface. In fact I've not encountered this level of ease of use on *any* of the 70+ portables I had these past 25 years. Like said in another review here, most used functions have been brought up closer to the user, up front on the keypad rather than recessed in sub-sub-menus. Configuring repeater tones or CTCSS is a breeze, or even Tone search, out of other functions!
This is definitely a "grab-and-go" radio, and you can even leave the user manual behind you, being confident that even without touching the radio for 6 months you'll be able to program whatever you want in it, the user interface is a real winner.
Downsides are: no on-screen battery voltage / level, no memory banks / groups, plastic belt clip that is cheaper than the metal ones we had on the TH-22 / K2AT (and TH-D72A), a bit short battery life and, what else? ?.. i can't find other things! And remember, this is a ~150$ radio!
Kenwood: you've done a *very* nice job!

K4JFR Rating: 5/5 Aug 20, 2012 12:28 Send this review to a friend
Good simple 2m radio that works.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Don't expect to be amazed by its features. It is a simple to use 2m radio. Easy to program (free download from Kenwood), charges the Li-ion battery quickly and just works. Feels solid in my hand but compact and light. Audio is loud enough and the display is easy to read.

I have used many different HTs through the years, both LMR and amateur. I own a VX8R, Wouxun, Kenwood, etc. This is a fine radio, especially for the price.

N0GPS Rating: 4/5 Jul 11, 2012 17:32 Send this review to a friend
Almost There  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I wanted to get a handheld radio that was easy to use and had the latest battery technology. The Kenwood TH-K20A hit the mark it is just plain sexy compared to the other brands.... But ( a BIG BUT )
there is no provision to power the radio from a cigarette plug or other source from a vehicle. The other brands do have a provision for a external power source. This put on the brakes and put out the fire for me in my purchasing decision. I need a radio that I can run APRS from my vehicle all the time and be able to take it with me when I need it. BUT if they ever come out with a accessory that lets me use a external power source I will buy the radio for sure... I would buy two if they made a 440 version.

VE7RJZ Rating: 5/5 Jun 27, 2012 16:49 Send this review to a friend
My new favorite radio!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hello,
If you had read my previous post on this radio, you would have noticed that I don't like radios that use Time-Operated (TO) resume on scan.
GOOD NEWS!!!
I received an email from Kenwood today with a new version of the firmware for the TH-K20A that updates it from version 1.00 to version 1.18. Kudos to the people at Kenwood getting this fixed, apparently they read the reviews on eHam.net too! The new version of firmware has resolved my issue with the scan resume on this radio and I am happy to report that I now give this radio a rating of 5 or maybe even 5+.
Thanks to eHam.net for providing this venue to review and rate products and thanks to Kenwood for providing excellent support for the products they manufacture!

WB2NWR Rating: 5/5 Apr 9, 2012 06:25 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Finally, back to basics. Simple but capable. Nice not to need a "Nifty" manual.

K3KTK Rating: 5/5 Apr 1, 2012 22:39 Send this review to a friend
Sweet little radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is lighter and smaller than the TH-2K (it's a tiny bit taller though). I got it for the Lithium battery, and have not been disappointed. It charges in 3 hours and the included cradle can charge a radio or a lone battery if you have two... meaning you can use the radio while the second battery charges.

It's lighter (advantage?) which I like, but does not feel as sturdy as the TH-2K or the VX-150. I like lighter.

Stock antenna is actually pretty good and low SWR. Has a "pager" function and 200 memories with or without names (versus 50 w/names on the TH-K2). Has a bit more power, plus many buttons like tone and freq step are single push now. It also has a programmable button for things like WX channels (10 now), or Channel Names/Freq or Pri Scan. On the down side, it has no Auto Simplex checker... just manual (easily accessible by one button). Also, the display is in the middle of the unit, not near the top as in the TH-K2.
Speaker seems similar and is fine. Love the unit overall. Not a heavy unit and the battery lasts forever and charges super fast.

N7KFD Rating: 5/5 Mar 6, 2012 05:03 Send this review to a friend
Great Little HT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a 2 Meter only HT with the bells and whistles you would expect in a single band HT. It comes with a Lithium-Ion battery that will easily last all day with the radio set to 2.5 watts output (The maximum output is 5.5 watts). The stock antenna is comparable to some Diamond Antennas I've owned and would almost venture to say it's better than the Diamonds (although I have no proof of that). In usual Kenwood fashion the radio is extremely user friendly and the manual is almost not even necessary. On that note they not only included a paper manual they included several, each language getting it's own book. The display is easy to read and the back lit keys are great in low light. The display light is the perfect color so reading the screen in low or no light is very easy on the eyes. The audio quality is very good. Receive signals are easy to understand and solicited audio reports were favorable. There is really only so much you can say about a 2 Meter only HT but Kenwood did a good job with this one, I'll be keeping mine for a while.