Reviews Categories | Packet TNCs | MicroSat WX3in1+ APRS advanced digipeater Help

Reviews Summary for MicroSat WX3in1+ APRS advanced digipeater
MicroSat WX3in1+ APRS advanced digipeater Reviews: 5 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $186
Description: Stand-alone unit which can act as an APRS digipeater and an IGATE with its own Internet connection directt to an APRS-IS server. It is also possible to connect a weather station.
More info: http://microsat.com.pl

You can write your own review of the MicroSat WX3in1+ APRS advanced digipeater.

N1TX Rating: 4/5 Mar 4, 2013 21:30 Send this review to a friend
Solid performer  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I coordinate a lot of the APRS network build-out in Interior Alaska. I've been evaluating the WX3IN1 for igate functionality at remote -- very remote -- sites, and it's top-notch. Far more stable than some TNCs and various APRS clients. Current unit under test has version 1.31 firmware, but for some reason I have not been able to upgrade it further to 1.35. It works as advertised, although the manual could use a little work to make some of the procedures clearer. I would like a way to send custom filters to the APRS-IS servers, and an interface for telemetry that does not require the WX3IN1 telemetry module is very desirable. Highly recommended!

G4ZLZ Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2013 10:34 Send this review to a friend
No faults a year on!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Further to previous review, my unit has been on continuously for a year and never stopped running. It is connected to a converted Philips PMR radio and collects data in south-east UK. I have upgraded firmware a couple of times (very simple). I agree with other comments: the USB configuration is slightly more flexible than the web interface - one can set a much longer beacon interval for example - but less convenient. Also, the USB interface is a must to set up the IP address initially - there is no DHCP. One other niggle is that one cannot (yet) set up a range filter for packets sent to this unit from the server.

This is a stand-alone unit, and does not need a PC. If you want to see where your data is going and display it, then I use aprs.fi as a web-bassed display tool.

In summary: excellent unit, very reliable indeed.

KB7STN Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2013 21:25 Send this review to a friend
Nice standalone APRS unit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had been using a laptop with an APRS program to work as a digipeater and to send weather information. But, it seemed like every time I was away from home something would cause a problem, windows update, or some other issue. After reading these reviews I researched this unit and decided to splurge and order one. RPC had quick shipping. I am somewhat of a newbie with APRS, but I soldered up a couple of cable to connect to my radio and weather station, then went through the configuration to setup. I like the unit so far, and really like the fact it allows me to have a digi and send weather data without a computer!

N8MIN Rating: 5/5 Sep 5, 2012 13:23 Send this review to a friend
Small Piece of Magic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ordered from RPC-Electronics and it came in about 5 days, no tracking email but I did not care as I was not in a hurry. This device is just great, has good status LEDs, easy setup via browser or config software, and it works as described. Email to RPC was helpful about IP addresses. The 6 pin mini din plug was not my most favorable pick but I made an adapter to a 9 pin like the Kantronics. And for the price of the unit I will give them an A+. There is a couple of things I would like to see is more weather stations supported and dynamic DNS for remote support but I am happy with all that it does! All I can say is to buy one as you won't go wrong.

IZ4UFQ Rating: 5/5 May 14, 2012 01:38 Send this review to a friend
Great APRS standalone digi/igate/wx/telemetry  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have installed mine yesterday. Configured it in less than one hour as a fill-in digi (wide1-1 only) and IGate. Configuration is straightforward if you have some knowledge of APRS. This is not a "generic" TNC, it can only act as an APRS digi, IGate, and weather station connection (serial); it can also broadcast telemetry data with an add-on module.

It has no serial console, no command line interface. It is designed to work by itself, without a computer.

It has some limitations (web-based configurator does not allow to set every parameter that usb-based does, it has no logging or debugging capability, igate is somehow limited in its functions, IP stack does not support DHCP nor it does support DNS, so you have to enter aprs-is servers with the ip address, not the host name), but it's a great device for the intended use.

Firmware is in continuous evolution, so I believe it will get better. This review is for firmware v 1.24.

I could give it a 4.5 because of the missing features, but it surely deserves a 5 more than a 4.

If you are interested, go and look at the forum on microsat.pl to read or ask about features, because the manual (that you can download freely) is outdated.