Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | MFJ-1926 Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-1926
MFJ-1926 Reviews: 1 Average rating: 0.0/5 MSRP: $149.95
Description: Screwdriver Antenna Tuner for ICOM radio's
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-1926

You can write your own review of the MFJ-1926.

W8LM Rating: 0/5 Mar 9, 2012 10:10 Send this review to a friend
Disgusting Product Service  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I had a few bucks sitting at the local ham store, so I ordered the MFJ-1926. It took 3-4 months to get it. Ham store calls, "Come and get it". When I ordered it it was 70 degrees out. When I got it, it was 5 degrees out. I opened the box and found:
#1 Manual for a MFJ-1924 controller not the 1926!
#2 only 3 wires leaving the controller, even thought the on line manual stated 6 wires.
Emailed MFJ support. Apparently they do not understand the English I write. They offered to ship a MFJ-1926 manual to me, But I informed them unless it was updated over the on line manual. It would do me no good as I did not have 6 wires, but 3 wires and the gray one had a 4 pin connector on it. Their answer was "cut off the 4 pin connector and strip back, then you will have 6 wires". My retort was two fold:
#1 Doesn't cutting off the connector void the warranty?
#2 I paid for the nice 4 pin connector, cutting it off does not seem the solution. As connectors serve a purpose. Would not a mate connector be better?
Another Email back and forth and these geniuses at MFJ told me, I should "go down to Radio Shack and see if MAYBE the shack would have a connector I could mate to". My retort was four fold:
#1. If they ARE the manufacturer, therefore the experts, why don't they have answers to my dumb questions?
#2 If they supply the connector, don't they know what it's mate is? They could not supply that.
#3. If so they would know if Radio Shack stocks it, or from where I could get one.
#4. Why should I waste my time and money trying to find a connector they should know specification of as it is attached to their product.
The next Email reply was, "CUT IT OFF your warranty will not be voided" my response was two fold again, was:
#1 "Supply me a connector" (or specifications of)
#2. Refund me my money.
At that point MFJ's response was that they would send me the connector and took my shipping information.
That was better than 2 months ago, It's now warming up to where I can tinker with the box in my drive way without freezing. Still no connector.

Now irrespective of that... My review:
#1. Poor inaccurate documentation even on line at this review date even though inaccuracies have been reported months ago.
#2. They provide a connector they want you to cut off that you paid for, but do not provide a in line fuse holder that they DO want you to provide.
#3. Aluminum enclosure bends are such that the metal is cracking along the bend.
#4. Poor construction overall.
#5. Delays and lack of documentation, parts, information and other reviews.

Now that the weather is getting better, and I am the first to write a review, woah what's going one here?
#1. I am the only person who bought one?
#2. Everyone else is joyous and I am the odd ball with problems?

So having said all of the above. I am not going to make cables, buy connectors, mount product, and spent probably 3-4-5 additional hours trying to see if this even works. Maybe it does but I'm not warm and fuzzy. I wish I never bought it. The concept made sense, nothing else. If the president of MFJ is the stand up guy they claim, he'd send me a check for the $149.95 I paid for it and I'll send it back at my cost. I gave them fair chance to make good Who is going to buy one and write a good review???