Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Intenational Antenna Corporation Double Bazooka Antennas Help

Reviews Summary for Intenational Antenna Corporation Double Bazooka Antennas
Intenational Antenna Corporation Double Bazooka Antennas Reviews: 89 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $200 (160m model) others less
Description: Double Bazooka antennas, 160m 80m 40m 20m 17m
More info: http://www.iacantennas.com

You can write your own review of the Intenational Antenna Corporation Double Bazooka Antennas.

N8KZH Rating: 5/5 Sep 11, 2016 08:32 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the Standard 40 meter bazooka. The service from IAC is first rate, very fast shipping. This antenna is really constructed well and looks like it will last for years. Made several contacts with it and all excellent signal reports. Its only up 20 feet as a flat top, The SWR is a perfect match and very broad banded . Very easy to tune. I am really pleased with it es couldn't be happier. This is a great antenna . Ron / N8KZH

KC8WX Rating: 5/5 Apr 18, 2016 18:41 Send this review to a friend
40 MTR Double Bazooka  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've owned an IAC 80 Double Bazooka for years. Awesome antenna with only 100 Watts.

Just purchased the 40 Double Bazooka last week and completed the install, testing and tuning last night. I got into NVIS Antennas a year ago for the Ohio NVIS Day. Was blown away by NVIS performance and Low Noise Receive. I built my own NVIS on 40 and it worked well. Wanted to try an IAC DBZ and inquired how it would do low to the ground as an NVIS. David assured me it would do well and be Quiet.

He was Correct! Antenna of my dreams! Have it on PVC Portable pipes for Emergency Deployment.
The Apex is at 8 feet and the ends are at 10 feet.
I put it up in my front yard with the Apex under a tree for testing.

Antenna is working incredibly well. I ended up tuning the ends/length four times till I got what I wanted for Center Resonance. 7258 is where it came out. SWR is basically Flat to 1.2 at the most, from 7193-7299.

Been listening on regional Nets so I can hear lots of stations from lots of locations. Last night I was up listening to San Diego, AZ, Denver, BC, and Honolulu at 1-2:30 AM. I was amazed my NVIS config was also working well as a DX antenna low to the ground! San Diego and all but BC and HI were coming in S9+. BC was an S6, HI was S7. Due to the Quietness of this antenna I had good copy on the weak ones just above the noise floor.

I also have the IAC 40 Half Sloper up for several years. I can switch back and forth and although the Sloper is within 2 S Units of the Double, the Noise Level is usually 3-4 S Units higher on the Vertically polarized Sloper, so I leave it on the Double Bazooka NVIS config for Pleasurable listening!

Soon will be moving and installing my 80 Bazooka as an NVIS configuration with Apex at 15 feet and ends at 12 feet. I will play with the heights until I nail it. Can't wait to do this testing!

Double the price of the Alpha Delta Long Wire I own, but big difference in TX/RX signal reports plus way more Noise on receive. Not sure what I'm going to do with my 80 Alpha I got last year with high hopes for NVIS. Under-performs in that config.

K0GRC Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2016 20:51 Send this review to a friend
Great Construction!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had the 20m bazooka for 3 years. Recently, a heavy snowstorm broke some large branches in the tree where it was hanging. Some of the branches were up to 8 inches in diameter, and instead of crashing to the ground, they got caught up in the bazooka. I was impressed with the heavy duty construction that took all of this additional weight.
I cleaned up the debris, and the antenna still works great!

W3FW Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2016 06:21 Send this review to a friend
160 & 80 meter Double Bazookas  Time owned: more than 12 months
EXCEEDS ALL OF MY EXPECTATIONS

AB4D Rating: 5/5 Dec 14, 2015 20:01 Send this review to a friend
Nice Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Recently, I was considering various antenna designs for 75/80 meters to be center supported by a 72 foot telescopic tower. Previously, I had an inverted V dipole fed with 600 ohm ladder line mounted on the tower. However, I took that antenna down, so I could utilize the 600 ohm line to feed a 540 foot loop for 160 meters I had installed.

I thought about installing another wire dipole and feeding it with coax, but I wanted to try something different. My search for a new antenna, kept referencing the Double Bazooka as a design that works well in an inverted V configuration. EHam reviews for the IAC double bazooka were favorable, so I decided to order one too.

I'm glad I ordered the antenna and installed it before reading a 6 page discussion on a Eham forum about the DB antenna. Based on what some of these self-appointed antenna experts claim, the DB is a waste of coax and is a poor antenna. Some of their claims suggest, that in comparison to a dipole, the DB has nearly half the performance, the usable bandwidth is just marginally wider, and if the antenna is built from the coax (RG-58) used by IAC, the bandwidth will be no better than a dipole. My experience suggests, that these claims are inconsistent with the performance from the IAC Double Bazooka installed at my station.

Let me state the only negative thing I can say about the IAC DB antenna, at least as it pertains to my particular station. In comparison to the large loop I have installed, when using the DB, it does exhibit a very slight RF field at the operating position. I keep a field strength meter at my operating position as a monitoring aid, and when using the DB the meter shows a slight indication of an RF field when using 1KW of power. The loop does not show any field at all. At 100 watts, the field is marginal when using the DB. Reports of my signal and audio have been positive.

In regard to bandwidth, I am very impressed with how much of the 75/80 meter band the antenna can span while maintaining a 1:5:1 SWR. The antenna is center supported at 70 feet, and the ends are up at about 30 feet from the ground to form an inverted V. Once tuned by shortening the ends by folding. The antenna provides coverage from 3.740 to 4.000 MHz. The SWR at 2:0:1, brings frequency coverage down to 3.650 MHz.

I have the ability in my station where I can quickly switch between the loop antenna and the Double Bazooka. In relation to performance. Signal reports have been good for the double bazooka. Signal reports show the loop and the DB as being nearly equal. However, some stations have reported the double bazooka being significantly stronger or vise-versa. I have also noted that on receive as well. Based on my prior experience, I would say the DB is as good as the dipole it replaced, with the added benefit of wide band coverage.

Tuning the antenna was fairly simple to accomplish. I simply rolled up a short section of the 300 ohm twin lead on each leg, flattened the roll, and used black nylon ties to secure the flat roll. However, the instructions were inconsistent with the amount I had to shorten the antenna. The instructions suggest six feet to make it resonate on 3.900 MHz. However, shortening the antenna about 4.5 feet, gave me the bandwidth coverage I was seeking.

The quality of construction used to build the antenna is very good, and is consistent with what I would expect to see in a commercially produced product, rather than home built. The center insulator is mold injected plastic that encompasses the entire assembly, rather than some adapted PVC plumbing fittings. The antenna is constructed with genuine Belden RG-58 coax, and the 300 ohm twin lead used for the ends, appears to be of high quality, with substantial insulation.

Overall, I am very satisfied with the antenna, and recommend it as a good product.

K4YHQ Rating: 5/5 Nov 29, 2015 19:39 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Antenna!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have the IAC 40 and 20 Meter Double Bazookas, and cannot say enough good things about them. I get great signal reports, and people are often surprised that I am not using an amp. Mine are set up in an inverted V oriented North-South with the peak at 35 ft., and the legs spread out 120 Degrees. The baluns hang from a hook outside my 3rd floor window, the 40 M about two feet above the 20 M. the antennas slope down to two fence posts at about a 45 degree angle, with the end of the legs on the 40 being about 8 ft. off the ground. Oddly enough, this all works very well. Every aspect of the IAC antennas is first class, with the baluns being very sturdy. As many people say, these are strictly one band antennas, but the SRW is flat across the entire band. My Icom tunes the antennas to almost 1:1, and there seems to be no need to retune no matter where I go on the band.

AC9HB Rating: 5/5 Nov 1, 2015 05:36 Send this review to a friend
High Quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The highest quality antennas on the market today. I first saw the IAC antennas at the Dayton ham fest this spring. The craftsmanship and materials used to build these antennas is the highest that I have seen on the market today. The customer service of IAC is also top shelf. IAC (Dave and Jeanna) are both truly concerned that the customer has the most pleasant experience possible. If you are looking for a well built antenna look no further IAC offers the best.

AC9HB Rating: 5/5 Nov 1, 2015 04:29 Send this review to a friend
40M Full Size Great Design  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had the IAC 40 meter double bazooka up for about a month. I have compared the IAC 40 meter antenna against my Alpha Delta 160 thru 10 with the IAC about 2-3 S units better than the AD. I first saw the IAC antenna at Dayton this spring and quality of the build is top shelf, I am especially impressed with the design and construction of the center feed point which has always been the weakest point of a double bazooka. IAC has conquered this issue with a molded one piece design. The materials used in the build of this are of the highest quality available on the market today.

The customer service at IAC is the best that I have experienced in a long time. In a culture where true customer service is hard to find IAC offers the kind of support that makes you feel like you are there only customer they have.

W4ATL Rating: 5/5 Jul 16, 2015 08:30 Send this review to a friend
Good Bandwidth and Reception  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the 80M version of this antenna. I purchased it for the wide bandwidth properties of the Double Bazooka. I wanted to cover the CW and DX portion of SSB. A side benefit is my ability to hear much better than my old dipole or wire vertical that I had. I credit getting my DXCC on 80M to this antenna and my ability to hear better.

My only warning for people is that the resonant frequency seemed to be higher than what the instructions say. My 2:1 SWR installed with no minimum foldover of the ends is 3570 to 3810 kHz. As it turns out, this is adequate for my purposes. I believe that my installation may be contributing to the higher resonant frequency. I have the center up at 70' and the ends at 50 and 40 feet. Plus, it follows my lot with the center near the corner and each element following my property so it is not a straight dipole. So when installing, make sure you can get to the ends easily, measure your resonant frequency, and adjust as necessary. You may need to raise and lower each end a couple times before you get it like you want.

KM4JON Rating: 5/5 Apr 27, 2015 05:16 Send this review to a friend
20M Double Bazooka (Update)  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is an update from below... I spent a few hours this weekend adjusting the IAC 20M DB following Dave's instruction and tweaking. I ended up with an SWR of 1.01:1. While that is impressive, I could have probably gotten a 1.01 from many different dipoles. There are two reasons I am writing this update. I must have taken this antenna up and down in the trees 10 times. Yanking the ends (quite hard) to free them of branches. I was using a messenger line but still...this is a very well built antenna and should last for years. The second is the omni-directional aspect. I am in Georgia and am able to work contacts in Europe, Florida, Louisiana, Texsas, Oklahoma, Iowa, New York, Austrailia, Michigan, California, Nebraska, etc. It seems to have just about 360 degrees of coverage and 10 watts is enough to work 'em.
Highly recommended.