Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Intenational Antenna Corporation Double Bazooka Antennas Help

Reviews Summary for Intenational Antenna Corporation Double Bazooka Antennas
Intenational Antenna Corporation Double Bazooka Antennas Reviews: 84 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $200 (160m model) others less
Description: Double Bazooka antennas, 160m 80m 40m 20m 17m
More info: http://www.iacantennas.com

You can write your own review of the Intenational Antenna Corporation Double Bazooka Antennas.

K1CGZ Rating: 5/5 Oct 4, 2014 16:27 Send this review to a friend
Well made; excellent customer service  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
My first double bazooka was the IAC 40 M version that I bought from an estate sale. I wasn't sure exactly what I was going to use it for, but the construction quality prompted me to give it a try. I put it up on a 30 foot TV antenna mast as an inverted V. I used it on 40 & 15 M for a year. It worked great. Then we changed QTH.

I found myself in Florida (from Maine). In an apartment on the second floor of a 2 story building. No outside antennas permitted. What to do? I measured the living room and hall and determined that I had room for a 20 M dipole inside. I ordered a 20 M double bazooka from IAC. I gave them my Florida address, but the billing address on my credit card was in Maine. The antenna shipped to the Maine address, so I contacted them. The same day I called, she shipped me a 20 M double bazooka to my Florida address. Sent me a check for the return shipping for the antenna that went to Maine. I received the FL antenna first. Put it up as an indoor antenna and got on the air. A week or so later the ME antenna arrived which I returned to them.

The indoor antenna works well. Not as good as an outdoor antenna, but it works well enough. The construction quality is excellent. Customer service is excellent.

On my next trip to FL I plan to use the 20 M and the 40 M double bazookas as portable antennas. They are rugged enough to haul around in a tote bag. I will sling shot ropes into palm trees and get QRV from some picnic tables I checked out last trip south.

KG9D Rating: 5/5 Aug 16, 2014 08:13 Send this review to a friend
40 double bazooka  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have the 40 meter model hung as a inverted vee with the feedpoint at 45 feet.The swr is below 2-1 on the entire band.I have gotten excellent reports.The craftmanship is very good and it should stay in place for years to come.

WB9KMW Rating: 5/5 Aug 8, 2014 15:40 Send this review to a friend
Low noise, broad band, great results  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I installed the 75M and 40M IAC antennas. Boy, do they work great. Tune up very easy. I have them mounted close to recommended inverted V heights from my tower. My greatest use in on the WI 75M ARES net. I regularly get to hear feedback & complaints from hams around the state about difficulty in copying some stations and high noise levels. My experience with the 75M DB is totally opposite. I usually copy everyone around the state. I don't need fills on ARRL Radiograms. And whether 30 miles away or 200 miles from my QTH, I copy and am heard well by Net Control Stations.

KB6HRT Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2014 20:24 Send this review to a friend
Works "GOOD"  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my second IAC antenna. Ordered the 40m DB a week ago,
received it today an installed it this afternoon, Use a reference dipole
so can tell if the antenna is stronger or weaker than the antenna it replaced, so far its stronger than the 40m dipole it replaced at 36' to the apex, good signal to noise ratio, had an 75m DB about 10 years ago, that antenna worked very well as well! If this antenna holds up as the other one did, I think I have a winner!.........kb6hrt

N2EAC Rating: 5/5 Apr 9, 2014 21:02 Send this review to a friend
Expensive, but a great antenna is better than any amplifier  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I used to run a Cobra Sr. on 160m Phone (1945 MHz) in an inverted V configuration and used a Palstar AT-Auto (ver 1) tuner and a 1 KW solid state amplifier. I added an IAC 160m "shorty" (also in an inverted V configuration), SWR at the Tx freq of 1945 MHz is 1.25:1 (actually tuned 1.1:1 to about 1925 MHz). Running just 200 watts of exciter power (NO amplifier), I was told by my ragchew group that the Tx audio was superior with the IAC shorty double bazooka (that goes for Rx audio too) than the Cobra Sr with the 1 KW. Its construction and instructions are first class. Now, be advised, (a) it is a single band antenna, (b) it is an expensive antenna, (c) it is a lot of work to install - you absolutely need a messenger (support) line, (d) don't cheap out on the coax - buy Belden, and (e) build an RF choke (just in case).

In summary, while an expensive proposition, if you primarily work just one frequency the IAC Shorty 160m double bazooka out performs and is better than any compromise antenna and you don't need an amplifier.

I would buy it again.

73, Ed, N2EAC

WA6QGH Rating: 5/5 Mar 1, 2014 20:05 Send this review to a friend
Very Good 40 Meter Double Bazooka  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had 40 Meter IAC Double Bazooka up for about two years in the inverted vee configuration with apex at 30 feet. I am not on 40 meters much but I have used on SSB and on Olivia and PSK 31 in CW portion and pleased with its performance. I folded back 18 inches of both ends and moved resonance frequency to 7.150. The SWR on each end of band is around 1.7. I have the SWR plotted in excel if anyone is interested. Although not considered DX antenna, yet I have worked Italy & Canary Islands on SSB in past few months. I am very pleased with construction and performance of this dipole antenna.

KJ9M Rating: 5/5 Oct 26, 2013 14:31 Send this review to a friend
Terrific Flagpole Antenna!!!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
After working for years barefoot from an antenna farm of trap dipoles, long wires and pieces of metal that loaded up in my attic because I was restricted by neighborhood association covenants, what a pleasure to fire up the IAC SB-40 as Old Glory waves majestically in my yard.

Pumping nearly a full gallon into my new "flagpole" with my newly purchased Ameritron AL-80B, I received signals louder (3db plus) more than ever before from my attic arrays with a noise floor far lower than expected. I worked every DX station I heard, even getting a 5-9 from a Tahiti station on 10 meters. Now I am a serious player in pileups, and can finally get some of those those rare ones. With my antenna tuner, every band from 10 to 40 (including the WARC bands) loads up with less than a 1.5:1 SWR on the SB-40. Plus, I have already received compliments on a great looking flagpole.

I thought I would have to add more radials to the six supplied, but the performance has been terrific without having to do that so I can say that, at least for me, it worked like a charm right out of the box.

Highly recommend this great flagpole antenna to those hams deeply embedded in underground hamshacks in covenant-locked neighborhoods. The SB-40 certainly has been a joy to use over the indoor alternatives that limited my operational capabilities for years.

KK4TY Rating: 5/5 Oct 5, 2013 12:12 Send this review to a friend
Like a Timex - Takes a Licking and Keeps on Ticking  Time owned: more than 12 months
I still have the original 40M array installed that was gifted to me used by W4TUT back in early 2008. I have never taken it down from the original installation at 20 feet. It has taken abuse from wind, falling medium sized tree limbs and even one strike from a Turkey Buzzard bent on self destruction. SWR remains 1.5:1 in the phone portion of the band. I've been licensed over 50 years and I believe it is going to outlast me !!!

N2YXW Rating: 5/5 Aug 2, 2013 15:50 Send this review to a friend
Second Review  Time owned: more than 12 months
My introduction to IAC was their 160 meter shorty double bazooka. I had opted for this antenna as a quick solution to get on 160 meters before I had cleared my property for a full sized version. I was very, very happy with the results. I went to the full sized version and have used it daily for the past few years. I also put up the 80 meter and the 40 meter full sized versions. I have experimented with many wire antennas especially on the 80 and 40 meter bands. I have compared delta loops, OCF dipoles, single band dipoles , and cage dipoles. The IAC double bazookas have outperformed everything with the exception of my cage dipoles. The cage dipoles come with a variety of support, wind and ice loading issues so I have taken them down and not looked back. My on air signal has resulted in quite a few of my fellow hams also purchasing IAC double bazookas and to my knowledge not one of them has taken theirs down or been disappointed. I have also noted the improvement in their signals. Granted, these are better suited as monoband antennas but the bandwidth and results are worth it! I have had questions over the years and Dave has always provided a quick answer. They are very well made and the visual impact is much better than my cage dipoles. If you are in 2,3,4 or 8 land listen to us on 1.945MHZ usually after 11:00pm and you will hear 4 or more very happy IAC double bazooka owners. Thank you Dave for making my operating experience as easy and enjoyable as possible! Bill Morea N2YXW

KA7NIQ Rating: 1/5 May 27, 2013 17:25 Send this review to a friend
Not Even As Good As A Dipole  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought one of these at a Tampa Tailgate.
They were selling off the estate (what was left) of a SK.
It was an International Antenna Corporation Double Bazooka 40 Meter Antenna.
I was told it was made over in Orlando, Florida.
Just the name "Double Bazooka" gave me goosebumps, and I was very excited to get one.

Yes, it "worked", and it was very well constructed.
People could hear me.

It turned out that I did not realize the double bazooka antenna was not even as good, as a regular dipole!

I was on QRZ, and saw a thread with several well known and respected antenna experts bashing my International Antenna Corporation Double Bazooka Antenna!

Well, they did not trash my antenna by name, but they did provide computer modeling evidence that double bazooka antennas are not even as good, as a regular dipole!

So, I installed, in exactly the same place, a 40 meter dipole in place of the
International Antenna Corporation Double Bazooka Antenna. I gained an average of from 1/4 to 1/2 of an S Unit, to people I talk to all the time.

1/2 of an S Unit is 3db!

Yes, the Double Bazooka antenna had just a little more SWR Bandwidth then the Dipole that replaced it.
This may be more important on bands below 40 meters to some people ?
But I was not prepared to give up 1/2 an S Unit, for a little more bandwidth.

Any antenna the size of a Dipole, that gives up 3db to a Dipole is a poor antenna, so that's my rating of the 40 Meter International Antenna Corporation Double Bazooka Antenna that I owned.