Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Verticals and Wire | Intenational Antenna Corporation Double Bazooka Antennas Help

Reviews Summary for Intenational Antenna Corporation Double Bazooka Antennas
Intenational Antenna Corporation Double Bazooka Antennas Reviews: 64 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $200 (160m model) others less
Description: Double Bazooka antennas, 160m 80m 40m 20m 17m
More info: http://www.iacantennas.com

You can write your own review of the Intenational Antenna Corporation Double Bazooka Antennas.

KD2C Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2012 04:09 Send this review to a friend
80m Full Size Double Bazooka  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have limited space for antennas on my property and have tried many different antennas to access 80m. The IAC antenna has substantially
outperformed the Alph Delta DX-DD antenna I have had for the last 5 years.

The antenna is constructed of top notch materials and is built to last. It was easy to install and tunes up easily from 80m to 10m. I have even used it occasionally on 160m.

I highly recommend this antenna for anyone with limited space and need a high performance antenna.

K3BHX Rating: 5/5 Jan 1, 2012 18:34 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic addition to the Shack  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
After seeing the construction of the IAC Double Bazookas at Dayton last year, and having success with a DB previously, I ordered a 160M DB on line after getting home. It arrived in excellent condition just a few days later. When I read that they recommended a messenger line support (a rope that runs the entire length of the antenna and from which the antenna wire hangs to decrase support on the wire) I called for clarification. The owner called me back that same afternoon and explained that in very heavy ice conditions they had experienced stretching in a few rare cases. Since it was contest weekend and I didn't have enough rope to do this, I hung it quickly from a 60 foot tree and tried it out. Great success!. So I ordered some rope and ran the messenger line, not wanting to loose this winner. A great solution for a 160 meter antenna. I will be ordering an 80 meter DB as soon as the weather clears.

N3FQG Rating: 5/5 Jan 1, 2012 15:33 Send this review to a friend
Great Product ! Great Customer Service !  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought my 160 meter DB after seeing it at the Dayton Hamvention. Took me awhile to get it up in the air, but now all I can say is what a great antenna ! It was easy to tune to 1.900 MHZ and has a low SWR both up and down from there. I get nothing but great reports and the recieve is just as good, I had one problem and it was no fault of the antenna. I pulled on one end trying to get it around a tree limb and it came a part at the point where the ladder line attaches to the coax. I gave Dave and his wife a call and he gave me repair instructions and sent me a new peice of heat shrink to do the repair at no charge. Great customer service !!!! I highly recomend IAC to all !

Best 73's Always
Kelly, N3FQG

PS: See ya on 160M, 19:00 eastern on 1.900 MHZ nightly

KA4UPI Rating: 5/5 Sep 14, 2011 09:42 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Product!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have built and purchased from other vendors Double Bazookas over the years due to the performance of these types of antennas and I must say that this is without doubt the best constructed and best performing antennas of this type I have used to date. I started with the full 40 meter version and liked it so much that I later purchased the 80 meter full size version and both work great. There is also NO comparison to the quality of materials and construction of these antennas by any other manufacturer that I am aware of. Yes you may pay a bit more for them than some other competitors but it is well worth the price for a quality product that will hold up. I also plan to purchase the 160 meter version for operating this fall. You definitely won’t be disappointed with this product or the company.

N4FBW Rating: 5/5 Sep 11, 2011 18:12 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna, great company  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased a 20M Double Bazooka from IAC. It arrived quickly via USPS. The first thing I noticed about this antenna was just how well made it was. This antenna looks like it could survive a hurricane! IAC antennas cost a bit more than the competition but you get what you pay for.

Once the antenna was installed I found that it exhibited rather high SWR across the 20M band. I sent an e-mail to IAC and they responded very quickly; note that this was on a SUNDAY afternoon!
It turned out that the antenna was defective and so I sent it back for a replacement. Jeanna and Dave were helpful and responsive and Jeanna paid me back for my return shipping charges. It's very apparent that Jeanna and Dave really care about their customers.

The new antenna arrived within a few days and I put it up. This antenna works just fine. Here are the SWR figures without any adjustments to the antenna:

14.004 1.6:1
14.050 1.5:1
14.100 1.3:1
14.200 1:1
14.300 1:1

Given my experience with IAC antennas, it's very likely that I'll be buying one for a different band in the near future.

N4YIC Rating: 5/5 Aug 20, 2011 10:48 Send this review to a friend
Superb Value  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had 40- and 80-meter IAC double bazooka antennas in the air, with absolutely no problems, for circa ten years. Just today the 80-meter antenna showed high VSWR and, upon investigation, I note the RG-58 coax has finally come loose from the center connector piece. I ordered a replacement immediately. Double bazooka antennas are notoriously fragile, but not the antennas manufactured by IAC; they produce a very tough product line. Imagine, ten years in the air, subjected to rather severe conditions many times, and still performing beautifully. I could not be more pleased with IAC's products, and I am pleased to say so.

KJ4YZF Rating: 5/5 Feb 17, 2011 06:15 Send this review to a friend
Awesome Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I live in South America and wanted something broad banded, could handle a kilowatt and built to last. I read the reviews and selected a IAC DB 40 meters. It's mounted a mast made of the US Army surplus 4 foot poles (from Ebay) - the center is at 32 feet AGL with ends at 28' AGL. The antenna is mounted East to West and to the North there is a drop of over 100' (side of a hill). Performance is incredible on 40 and I can talk to the states from an hour before sunset all night long. I have an AL80B and I am +10 many times into North America and even Western Europe and the Canary Islands. This is my favorite antenna on 40 meters.

W5DGM Rating: 5/5 Feb 13, 2011 17:57 Send this review to a friend
Good Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Installed an 80 meter "shorty" Double Bazooka antenna and a 40 meter "shorty" Double Bazooka antenna on the same pole. Signal performance was impressive. Only wish I had done this sooner.

W3DIY Rating: 5/5 Dec 4, 2010 10:51 Send this review to a friend
Lived Through a Tough Winter  Time owned: more than 12 months
I should have read the directions before starting the install. Discovered that the 160M full length version requires a messenger line for support but I did not have enough rope or cable ties.
Pressed for time I installed as is and crossed my fingers.
Winter arrived soon after in full force. Living on top of a mountain we are subject to high winds and icing.The antenna survived!
The support trees were removed so the antenna was retired. Sold online quickly!

KC9RJS Rating: 5/5 Sep 20, 2010 04:59 Send this review to a friend
Super value...amazing performance !  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Where to begin...I guess I will start with the description of this wonderful antenna. At a glance, the Double Bazooka is a typical dipole. Upon further inspection however, the similarities end. These antennae were originally designed as radar antennae, when radar was in it's infancy. The military was desperately trying everything they could think of to get the best radar setup possible to get ahead of everyone else. For those that know your history, you know exactly what I am referring to. Unfortunately, it did not do well as a radar antenna, but thankfully, it was discovered that it made an excellent transmit and receive antenna. It is simplistic in design, but can be difficult to keep together. The reason ? These antennae consist of 2 wires, not 1 like a typical dipole. The first 2/3 of the antenna is made from coax, with the outer jacket and outer shield/conductor removed. This leaves a center conductor and inner jacket, so you have no exposed wire. The last 1/3 of each leg is 300 ohm twin lead wire, with an end cap. The trick was getting the two odd sections of wire to stay together. Most failed. This antenna is different. The end cap, and joining section consists of mil-spec melting inner, shrink tubing. That's right, mil-spec. The exact same stuff I used as a helicopter mechanic in the Marine Corps. Solid. When this stuff is melted, it doesn't just shrink like the regular stuff you would find in the garage or around the house. This stuff is very thick to begin with, and takes some serious heat to melt, but, just as important as becoming structurally rigid, this stuff has an inner compound that melts to a thick, tar like consitancy, and man does it stick ! It seals out everything then dries to an almost rubber consistency. Between the two, the connection is going absolutely nowhere. In fact the only thing on the antenna that isn't mil-spec ( but it is certainly good enough to be ! ), is the custom designed center section, which joins both legs together to the coax connection. This is rock solid and weather proof. No wimpy, pull-apart center section here ! The PL connector is also mil-spec, gold plated socket and all. Belden coax, and Channel Master 300 ohm twin lead. This is as good as it gets folks !

Using the larger coax inner, and the large twin lead has a few advantages over other dipoles. For 1, you have a larger radiating surface area. Doesn't seem like much ? Consider it is about 3x the diameter of wire in a normal dipole. That's a lot in an antenna of length. 2, it is much easier to zip-tie your messenger line. You do use a messenger line, don't you ? Any dipole type antenna should have one, even if it is supported in the middle. No stretching, or stress at all on the antenna if you do it correctly. Your antenna will last next to forever. 3, is the ability to tune the antenna. All of these models are set for the low, CW portion of the band. Instead of having to take chances cutting your wire, you simply fold the twin lead back over on itself, 1 fold only, in a 6 inch increment. The twin lead folds nice and flat, you zip-tie it when you find the sweet spot, and forget it. Simple. Especially if you have to move it, it can always be retuned for height, ground effect etc. 4, nothing is exposed to the elements. That means no corrosion, and a quiet antenna in inclimate weather. 5, the twin lead actually allows the antenna to be a bit shorter and be on frequency. Every little bit helps, right ?

I have the "standard", or, full length 80/75 meter Double Bazooka, and the standard 40 meter Double Bazooka. With these antennae tuned for the middle of the bands, I have a very low swr all the way across the band. However, with a good antenna tuner, the 80 meter will run 80 - 10, or even 6 depending on your setup. 40 is not very efficient on this antenna, but will still do the job. On the 40 meter standard however, I talked to Costa Rica and Austrailia The fist night it was up. It was loud and clear, both directions. These are probably the quietest dipole type antennae you will find. Being impervious to the elements plays a big part in that. The recieve on them is a thing of beauty, and wow do I get my signal out ! I consistantly have a better signal than most people on the other end, most running as much or more power than I. These things will handle the limit no problem. I would not have bought a second, if I was not truely happy with the first. I would gladly put this up against any other wire dipole type antenna in the same place. I wouldn't think twice about it. I plan on buying several more to use at different angles etc. They have center loaded shortys (not trapped, loaded) for people lacking space, slopers, and more. Wire antennae for every need, want or situation.

Finally, there is David and Jeanna. That's right. Two people, husband and wife, that, not only give you customer service like you are talking to a neighbor or friend, but they put their personal reputation on these antennae. With products like they have, I am sure they are glad to do so. I have NEVER dealt with anyone so caring, not only about their product and support, but you as a person. When was the last time you spoke with someone in any customer service and felt like you should give them a hug when you were done talking to them ? Yes. It really is that good of an experience dealing with them.

To end, I will simply say that I would not only recommend these wonderful antennae to anyone for so many reasons, but I intend to have several more in my antenna farm. Wire antennae just aren't done any better than this. Thanks David & Jeanna for a wonderful product, and a great experience !

73s All.....Eric, south central Wisconsin