Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Baofeng/Pofung UV-5R Help

Reviews Summary for Baofeng/Pofung UV-5R
Baofeng/Pofung UV-5R Reviews: 264 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $60
Description: Micro sized dual band 2m/70cm radio.

You can write your own review of the Baofeng/Pofung UV-5R.

KM4LCF Rating: 5/5 Aug 8, 2016 06:56 Send this review to a friend
Excellent First Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got my ticket on 6/10/2015, and promptly ordered one of these with a programming cable. Programming was not difficult using the Chirp software available online. For Christmas that year, I received a Nagoya NA-771R antenna and a 3800mAh battery, which provided even further range and longer talk time. I also added a "tiger tail" counterpoise to it, enabling me to hit repeaters 7 miles away from inside my house.

Compact Size
Easy to Program from PC
Battery Life

Limited functionality
Darn-near impossible field programming
No Rated Waterproofing
TX/RX range

Too Long Didn't Read Version: You get what you pay for, but several accessories are almost necessary.
NY7Q Rating: 4/5 Jul 9, 2016 20:33 Send this review to a friend
Not bad considering price  Time owned: more than 12 months
Programming is tedious but doable. built like a tank.I use a new 2016 uv-5r right now.....good reports.
KB9ZB Rating: 1/5 Jul 9, 2016 08:01 Send this review to a friend
good for garbage  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought one as a backup, just in case radio. Programing is just like any other radio, nothing special. It is what it is, I was not expecting a top of the line radio, but I did except it to work the time. Had a bad one, but got replacement no hassle. After presaging I was very anxious to try it out, first issue, it totally deviated my condo neighbors TV. Wiped out several channels, and teed off the neighbor, also got into a baby monitor as well. I have been operating in this environment for the last year and a half running 50 watts without any complaints or problems. Checked this out on a service monitor, talk about spurs it looked like a spark generator!!! Got a replacement, not much better than the first one, you get what you pay for in this case cheap radio cheap results.
For a first time ham not a good option, unless you want to drive them out of the service. The reason I say this is because almost all new hams do not know how to handle rfi issues or even what they really are.
KD0DUJ Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2016 00:27 Send this review to a friend
better internal mic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought my UV-5r from a friend of mine yesterday and this radio works with the speaker mic and with out it and there is no problem with field programming and is a great beginner radio for new hams
KU4UV Rating: 4/5 Jul 4, 2016 20:32 Send this review to a friend
Not bad as long as you have reasonable expectations.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently picked one of these radios up at R and L Electronics for around $40. I went ahead and purchased the matching SMA to BNC connector for the radio as well, as I am not a big fan of SMA connectors. The radio that I purchased apparently had a bad solder connection or loose connection somewhere in the microphone. I kept wondering why no one was coming back to me on the repeaters, even though I was hitting the repeaters just fine. I finally realized that I had no audio output from the transceiver, once I monitored myself on my scanner. Slightly tapping the front of the radio near the microphone seemed to fix the problem, at least for now. R and L told me to bring the radio back in next time I was in town, and they would replace it, but for now, I will hold off on that as long as the radio is working o.k.
These radio seems to be fine, as long as you have reasonable quality expectations out of them. You can't really compare a $40 dual-band radio to a $300 radio from the 3 major manufacturers. I should add that I also work for, and we sell quite a few of these radio. I should know, as I have picked the orders for customers who bought them. I have already ordered another UV-5R from Amazon, as I can pick the 4 Watt version up from Amazon for around $20 with my employee discount. The radio does have a bit of a learning curve to it in terms of programming, especially if you are used to programming a Kenwood, Icom, or Yaesu. The radio isn't difficult to program if you follow the steps in some of the online Youtube videos.
I like the fact that the radio includes a flashlight/strobe feature. I plan on keeping on of these radios in my glove compartment for when I travel, as the strobe light is nice to have to alert other drivers in case you need assistance or have a roadside emergency. The stock antenna is a joke, as are a lot of stock handheld antennas. I highly recommend a different antenna if you purchase this radio. I have already made some satellite contacts through SO-50 using this radio along with a tape measure yagi beam. All-in-all, a nice radio with a lot of good features. For $40, I won't lose too much sleep if the thing craps out on me in a year or two.
KI7EKB Rating: 5/5 Jun 13, 2016 12:58 Send this review to a friend
No complaints  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have had 4 of these for about 2 months now, 2 - 5r's, and 2 of the 8 watt 5rTP units. These have been error free and the battery life with the standard battery has been outstanding. Highly recommended as a first radio for anyone who has just entered the world of Ham. In fact, I have spoken with several long time hammers who also own them. In order to join in on our local net from my "easy chair", I use an old Diamond D-130 to transmit on. While doing so, I have been told several times that my signal is the best on our net. Only reason I am upgrading to a Yaesu is to experience some HF.
VK2NN Rating: 5/5 May 24, 2016 03:02 Send this review to a friend
Great for the money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Only for the dual watch it has and the easy free software programming worth every cent spent.
The microphone on the unit is low needs a mod connecting though the Baofeng Speaker Mic
works ok.
K2PHD Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2016 20:23 Send this review to a friend
Great radio for the price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Now that I have replaced the radio's stock antenna with one from eBay for $2 this radio performs as well as my Yeasu and Kenwood handi-talkies. The price is cheap, the functionality is broad, and with a cheat sheet I have found the radio to be easy to manually program.
M6RIK Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2016 14:17 Send this review to a friend
Exellent performer for the price!  Time owned: more than 12 months
For the price this radio is hard to beat. It's not a sensitive as some of my other radios but it costs 1/5 of what they do.

It can be a little hard to program but it works really well - for the money.
W8QZ Rating: 1/5 May 16, 2016 07:24 Send this review to a friend
Ok while it worked, but . . ..  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I must have happened on a bad one - after owning the radio a couple of months, it has developed a habit of shutting down in a hard lock-up during transmissions. The only fix is to remove the battery, wait at least 10 minutes, and then reconnect. This problem is NOT caused by battery charge level, as far as I can tell. The radio will receive all day, just fine. Oh well, for $30, I can't complain too much - maybe just use the thing for a trap-shoot target?
Programming it is a royal pain, but with the help of it CAN be done from the keyboard. As frequently noted, the stock antenna is pretty close to a dummy load -
I'm now planning to buy something better.
"Buy cheap, buy twice!"