Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Baofeng/Pofung UV-5R Help

Reviews Summary for Baofeng/Pofung UV-5R
Baofeng/Pofung UV-5R Reviews: 226 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $60
Description: Micro sized dual band 2m/70cm radio.
More info: http://www.verotelecom.com/

You can write your own review of the Baofeng/Pofung UV-5R.

N4DBM Rating: 5/5 May 25, 2015 20:08 Send this review to a friend
Great for the cost  Time owned: more than 12 months
My dad gave me one as a gift. After I got the Chinese woman to quit talking and learned how to use it, I love it. It works like a champ and I carry it everywhere I go. I just don't see how you can go wrong with this unit. I'd buy another one if I needed one. I know it's Chinese stuff but so is everything else these days. Buy a Japanese radio and you'll pay 5 times as much and it won't really work any better. Just speaking the truth..

KC1BYI Rating: 4/5 May 19, 2015 18:27 Send this review to a friend
A-okay  Time owned: more than 12 months
Of all the Baofengs this is probably the best. Baofeng it would appear is introducing a new model every few months
UV-82, GT-3, and now the 8 watt Baofeng
BTW: That GT-3, issues with the stock rubber ducky antenna being a snug fit

I have read comments, and watched You Tube testing on the Baofeng. One testing on the 8 watt Baofeng, and no wattage at 8 watts

The battery on my UV-5R works fine. Programming is not an issue, if you watch You Tube videos, and smart people who know what they are doing

Bought my UV-5r from R&L in Ohio, and hit repeaters 10 miles from my home

KT0DD Rating: 4/5 May 14, 2015 18:18 Send this review to a friend
update after 1 year  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have 2 of the upgraded BF-F8+ version. I still have reliable use out of mine after over 1 year. Every day I key it up and people say it sounds fine. I've dropped mine 3 times with no ill effects so far. Sure it's cheap but as reliable as mine has been I wouldn't hesitate to rely on it. I had a Yaesu FT-60 that was made in China and the speaker audio was terrible.

When I go camping / hiking, I usually have 2 of these with me just in case one fails. The odds of both failing in an emergency are about as great as having one high dollar HT fail. And it's still less money. YMMV.

G4XTA Rating: 3/5 May 14, 2015 01:41 Send this review to a friend
Not on MY Bands, Please!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Another review of the world's biggest ever selling ham radio seems superfluous, but here's a couple of comments following my purchase of two new ones complete with all extras, accessories and plenty of spare batteries. Total cost of the lot, just over $100. Similar price to cheap kid's toys.
And of course, that's just what you get. Absolute delight to receive all this stuff for almost no money.
What you also get is a sweet lightweight and very capable little radio. But it's unrelaible. The batteries only fit after you've shaved-off bits of plastic from the radio. The rubber duck antenna works fine, but the actual antenna gets so hot that you can't touch the rubber. The heat comes from inside the antenna, about an inch up from the radio (and NOT the radio itself). That's gotta be wasting TX power?
And the RX is effective, but has no dynamic range, little selectivity, and is open to swamping and non-linearity when near other sources of RF. It works like some of the early mini-handies such as the original FT-23 in the early 80's. Badly!
And if it rains while you're out walking, it'll fill with water, so you just throw it in the garbage when you get home. The TX audio is extremely weak due to the teensy mic hole in the front panel. My pals have dismantled theirs and enlarged the hole, thus fixing the problem. I've got a monster-loud voice, so it works OK for me.
Programming is fine from the keypad. No adverse comments. Battery life is excellent.
Manufacturing consistency seems fine, as both of mine are exactly identical in every way, TX and RX. And both display the same degree of faultiness, meaning that any problems are in the design, not because of poor manufacture.
But cheap or not- should we be allowing this second-rate toyshop standard of equipment onto the amateur service? I think not. In an emergency, this is a dangerous piece of equipment. It WILL let you down. Picking up one of my FT60's makes me feel confident and workmanlike after using my two Baofengs for a month. In fact, my kid's pair of Motorola Mickey-Mouse-Club UHF CB handies are far better quality in every way. If my life depended on a radio, I'd have to choose Mickey Mouse over a Baofeng.
But hey, don't get me wrong- I'm having a ball playing with these things. But that doesn't make them good radios!
73 Paul

AF5CC Rating: 4/5 May 10, 2015 11:30 Send this review to a friend
Really good dualband HT  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
If you look around much, you should be able to find one of these for $25 or so shipped! Can you believe that-it takes more money than that to take the family out for dinner. I can remember when I was first licensed an Icom 2AT cost $260 and that was in 1981 dollars.

Enough about the price. Contrary to what most people seem to write about, I haven't really had trouble programming this HT for simplex and repeater memories. The manual that comes with it is pretty worthless, but if you look around the internet you can find some really good manual and sets of instructions for it. Once you understand how to store a repeater in memory it is pretty easy and not a big deal. I have never used the software for mine and haven't needed it.

I have never had screen problems with mine or with the HT getting hot, even on extended ragchews at high power.

You get 4 watts on both 2m and 70cm, which is pretty standard for dualband HTs. You get a LiOn battery with a drop in charger that you can fully charge in 5 hours or so. Most drop in chargers or LiON batteries from Icom/Yaesu/Kenwood/Alinco cost more than the cost of this entire HT.

The stock antenna seems pretty good on 70cm, not very good on 2m, but you can find an 7 inch replacement antenna that does much better for less than $10 shipped. The built in FM broadcast band radio is nice also. I use that feature quite a bit. You can listen to the FM radio while monitoring 2 different ham frequencies in the background, and if a call comes on either one of those, it shifts to that frequencies. The only other HT I know of for sure that does this is the Yaesu VX8R but that costs 14 times as much.

The FM broadcast band receive could be a little better. Programming could be a little easier. That is why I give it a 4, but when you look at performance vs price it is definitely a 10. I have owned probably 25 different modes of HTs (I am not exaggerating) and this is the one I now have. I see no reason to spend any more to pretty much do the same thing.

K7ZX Rating: 4/5 May 10, 2015 09:09 Send this review to a friend
A little hard of hearing  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I wrote an earlier review after having the UV5R-V2+ only a few days. One thing I discovered after a week or so is that the radio does NOT hear as well as my FT-817. It took some A/B testing to find out that the reason I couldn't use a certain repeater was because I couldn't hear it. I could access the machine just fine with the Yaesu, which puts out the same power as the Baofeng. I can also copy another distant repeater with the FT-817 which is totally undetectable on the V2+. Aside from that the radio is still very useful.

KA1VF Rating: 5/5 May 9, 2015 20:03 Send this review to a friend
Awesome HT for $$$  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought one of these on 04/02/15 just to satisfy
my curiosity because these are very popular rigs.
Initially, I was intimidated by all the features
and functions and I really didn't do much with it.
Fortunately, a local QSO with a Ham who owned
one convinced me to buy an original USB cable
from Baofeng, download the latest drivers, and CHIRP.
Wow, I'm absolutely amazed with the capabilities
of the Baofeng UV-5R once you've mastered CHIRP.

KG7AFA Rating: 5/5 Apr 30, 2015 19:29 Send this review to a friend
$27 ???  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ordered this with programming and speaker/mike. Total was $37 with $27 for the radio alone. Charger, tether, battery, antenna. Dual band nominal 1 watt and 4 watt. With the supplied antenna I can hit my local EAARS repeater with full quieting and excellent audio at 26 miles. You can check it out, St Johns Arizona to the top of Greens Peak nearly due south. I have read about programming frustration. I don't care if you have to program this with a hammer and chisel. You can afford them with what you save.

NT9M Rating: 3/5 Mar 29, 2015 15:50 Send this review to a friend
Not bad...not great  Time owned: more than 12 months
A 3 is probably a little low...a 4 is too high in my estimation.

I've owned mine for 16 months now. The more changes you make, the more likely you will remember how to program the thing on the fly. I've done it with chirp and without.

I have two Kenwoods, a Radio Shack, and this HT. The Baofeng is the most convenient, size-wise. The Radio Shack (HTX-404) is the simplest to use. And the Kenwoods (TH-G71 and TH-D7) are superior quality.

I have an Echolink node on the local repeater and one thing I appreciate about the Baofeng I have is that the DTMF tones decode without an issue. Sometimes the Kenwoods have problems with that.

I hooked the Baofeng up to a dual band j-pole about 25 feet up, and the radio was unusable...totally swamped the receiver with pager intermod.

So overall, pretty good as an HT. Can't use it successfully at a base radio on a real antenna.

With the pricing as low as it is, they make it very difficult to justify purchasing new batteries for the older HT's.

G3ZPS Rating: 4/5 Mar 28, 2015 17:37 Send this review to a friend
UV5-RC Great toy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Been in this hobby for nearly 50 years and worked as a professional on very large PMR projects. I never spent fortune on this hobby - but this and a few other cheap radio toys made in China are great fun..I had zero trouble programming without software,I just googled it, one of the tricks is to ensure memory channels are deleted before programming repeaters into them. The charger base rattled when I shook it so I took the bottom off and found an unused LED inside! But for 25 are you serious, its just great. My other experimenters toy is an RTL dongle that was 10. having fun with radio again for little $