Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Baofeng UV-5R Help

Reviews Summary for Baofeng UV-5R
Baofeng UV-5R Reviews: 219 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $60
Description: Micro sized dual band 2m/70cm radio.
More info: http://www.verotelecom.com/

You can write your own review of the Baofeng UV-5R.

G3VGR Rating: 4/5 Jul 19, 2014 10:46 Send this review to a friend
Good value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently bought mine for 35 at the Friedrichshafen rally. It was easy to program with CHIRP. I changed the supplied rubber duck for a Nagoya NA-701 and I'm very pleased with this rig on both 2m & 70cm. Originally, I wanted a FT60R, but at less than 1/3 of the price, the UV-5R is all I need for my infrequent visits to the VHF & UHF bands

K7UTA Rating: 4/5 Jun 26, 2014 17:26 Send this review to a friend
Pleased  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've only had this handheld for about six months.
Programing was easy using the Chirp program available online.
I found this is easier to program than the Wouxun is
I've used it as a mobile with a magmount antenna and on a Slim Jim antenna as a base and it seemed to do fairly well.
Like I said, so far, I'm pleased with it.

VE2FAB Rating: 1/5 Jun 17, 2014 16:44 Send this review to a friend
Unable to program the radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought two Baofeng at Dayton, this one and the 220MHz both are malfunctionning!
This one can not program any channel, the programming port did not work.
The menu is really bad. Sometime will not save the parameter.
Only one offset for two band!!!
Harmonics are much higher than what they spec in there manual...

AULDWILLY Rating: 1/5 Jun 14, 2014 21:39 Send this review to a friend
You get what you pay for  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Came with several accessories.
Neither program software nor drivers would load on Win7.
On-line search for software was fruitless.
Wasted the whole morning.
Flashlight worked great.
Sent it back.

N8AUC Rating: 5/5 Jun 9, 2014 19:11 Send this review to a friend
Still working!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one of these last year at Dayton. For $50, I figured I'd take a gamble.

Well, now it's one year later. The darned thing is still working well. It rides in my computer bag every day. A few of the buttons are mildly scuffed, but other than that it still works and looks new.

I dropped it once. It landed on a hard wood floor and survived with no visible or functional issues.

In fact, they were even cheaper this year at Dayton, down to $39 from R&L. So I bought 2 more.
Please note that this is NOT the best radio ever made. But the bang you get for the buck you spend is quite surprising. What it does, versus what it costs, it totally worth it in my opinion.

This is one gamble that has paid off. I remain pleased with my purchase. Now if I can just find one of the 144/220 versions of this radio....

73 de N8AUC
Eric

KO8L Rating: 5/5 Apr 21, 2014 16:51 Send this review to a friend
Nice rig for the working man  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have too give a 5 rating because of the ease of use, some say there hard too program by hand but I really didn't have a problem. Sorry too say it's a throw away world for a 40 dollar radio if it brakes throw it in the trash and buy another one, my UV5R"s have had a lot of use and have all been rock solid when I have needed them. I have destroyed one on a deer hunting trip, it got soaked in a rain storm, so remember there not waterproof. I have noticed the screen washes out when the radio get's warm, but it hasn't been a problem, just let it cool down and it will return too normal. There's a lot of Ham's using the UV5R around my area and I haven't heard a bad one yet.I think every ham should buy a few of these rigs too have in you camper, tackle box or whatever. Now folks can not say Ham Radio is too expensive too get into. Buy the way I have 2 UV3R+ and there great rigs also. Remember this is my own opinion. If you don't have one go out and buy one and give it a try for yourself,if you don't like it your not out that much money.

N8VIL Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2014 02:11 Send this review to a friend
Great cheap radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
On my second one after 2 years of service. My first radio had a lot of use but never let me down. It was all scratched up and the keypad was worn but kept working. Left it on top of the car and fell in the road and was run over several times. Guess what? I was a little disappointed but not suicidal over the loss. Purchased another one for $31.00 shipped. This one works great too. It is not the quality of a big name radio, but it works for what it is. You do need the software to program the radio to keep your sanity. If your one that expects perfection for under $50.00 this is not the radio for you.

KA4EPS Rating: 4/5 Mar 24, 2014 10:31 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio, but look out for DCS compatibility issues  Time owned: more than 12 months
Everything about this radio, and the UV-5RA as well as the UV-82 is great.
But be aware, there is a bug in all of the Baofeng radios I have tested thus far. It has to do with using DCS aka DPL on receive.
If the radio is tuned to a radio such as a Motorola MSF-5000 repeater or other equivalent radio that transmit DPL, there is a problem with the timing of the disconnect tone and the re-establishment of a new transmission that contains the valid DCS/DPL code.
If the repeater or radio that is unkeying as well as sending the 333 hz speaker mute tone is suddenly given the command to transmit once again during the shutdown cycle, the Baofeng radios must see transmitter unkeying for ~50 ms or more before the next transmission containing the valid code is transmitted.
So in other works, if someone keys up right while the repeater or radio sending the DCS code is unkeying and sending the 134 Hz turn off code, the Baofeng radio will not decode the code sent until the transmitter unkeys and keys up again in the next transmission.
This is a serious problem and causes intermittent periods of not hearing anything at all.
KA4EPS

K4FX Rating: 5/5 Mar 11, 2014 15:07 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having owned the UV-3R and as of late the UV-82, I thought I would complete the herd by getting a UV-5R. I recently put my 2m echolink simplex link back up and I was getting tired of running to the shack to make a call via the PC as the 3R doesn't have DTMF and the UV-82 is used in the car.
I really like the UV5R, it works very nicely, the fit and finish seem to be a little better than the other two rigs.
The best place to get one is R&L Electronics, I ordered on a Sat and got it on Monday. They shipped 2nd day USPS at no extra charge and their price was very competitive. I will be using them more in the future!

KG6ZIC Rating: 2/5 Feb 25, 2014 10:12 Send this review to a friend
Cheap for a reason  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Reasonably well made, functionally rich and would seem value for money.

BUT - When you check these radios on a spectrum analyzer it's a different story, on TX they basically behave like broadband rf transmitters with harmonics and spurious emissions all over the place - not a pretty sight believe me.