Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Baofeng UV-5R Help

Reviews Summary for Baofeng UV-5R
Baofeng UV-5R Reviews: 224 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $60
Description: Micro sized dual band 2m/70cm radio.
More info: http://www.verotelecom.com/

You can write your own review of the Baofeng UV-5R.

N8ZEE Rating: 5/5 Nov 3, 2014 17:49 Send this review to a friend
Great Value  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have 3, my buddies, 11 of them have at least one. I have two Yaesu radios, and you cannot compare them with the Baofengs in how they are built, but holy cow, look at the price difference. My radios and my buddies have had nothing go wrong with them, and the acc, for the radios, batteries, are really low cost. I have used Baofeng radios for over 14 months, and nothing has gone wrong with them. I have one in each car, and one in the house, I always take one with me hiking or geocaching. Give one a try, you will not go wrong.
Bill
N8ZEE

G0APM Rating: 0/5 Oct 31, 2014 10:54 Send this review to a friend
Junk  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Junk!

Harsh words but after trying 4 in an attempt to get a good one I gave up.

Various faults:
Failed to program
LED not working
No RX
UP button not working

I bought the radio for a friend and ended up with a millstone around my neck trying to sort the damn thing out.

Just to add. I own a UV-5R+ which has had no such problems and works perfectly.

Was supplied by a well known supplier which was fully "Fulfilled". I nearly wore their damn locker out.

But an FT-60 instead.

N8ZEE Rating: 5/5 Oct 8, 2014 20:25 Send this review to a friend
Great radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Have 3, have purchased 7 more for friends after they saw how mine worked. Everyone still happy, and a couple of them bought more for members of there family.. I can truly say, the best investment you can make for the money. I have two Yaesu VX-6, which are better made, waterproof, but I leave the Baofengs in both cars, and one in my pack. I look at them as throwaways if something goes wrong. Invest in one and you will not be sorry.

N7IBC Rating: 0/5 Oct 4, 2014 15:56 Send this review to a friend
2nd Boefang piece of garbage  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having received a Boefang BF-F8+ last week which failed to program or even be recognize by the computer, I figured the UV5R was a better bet.
So, in my infinite wisdom,(lacking),I ordered in a UV5R to replace it. It looked good, felt okay, but, it had a dead receiver, right out of the box. I tried a reset, and still dead. I am done with these, at least based on the track record at this point.I do have a UV82L and it works okay for right now.I am not hopeful for a survival from these two past experiences but will stay hopeful for this one.

N3IG Rating: 5/5 Oct 3, 2014 05:23 Send this review to a friend
UV-5RA Great Value  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I could not resist, a $35 dual band. I have wasted more money than that before so if I had to throw it away, live and learn.

After getting it I actually thought about selling my high priced HTs. Mine has better receive than my FT-60 or TH-F6A and everyone tells me that it sounds fine on transmit. I know a lot of hams that own at least one and only one has had a failure.

I agree with the comments about using Chirp, I hit something in the menu and changed the language to some kind of oriental and could not begin to read anything to reset it. Luckily I had my configuration saved in Chirp and a download to the radio saved the day.

Would I recommend? The Kenwood is sold and the Yaesu is in the box, the UV-5RA is with me everyday.

G3VGR Rating: 4/5 Jul 19, 2014 10:46 Send this review to a friend
Good value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently bought mine for 35 at the Friedrichshafen rally. It was easy to program with CHIRP. I changed the supplied rubber duck for a Nagoya NA-701 and I'm very pleased with this rig on both 2m & 70cm. Originally, I wanted a FT60R, but at less than 1/3 of the price, the UV-5R is all I need for my infrequent visits to the VHF & UHF bands

K7UTA Rating: 4/5 Jun 26, 2014 17:26 Send this review to a friend
Pleased  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've only had this handheld for about six months.
Programing was easy using the Chirp program available online.
I found this is easier to program than the Wouxun is
I've used it as a mobile with a magmount antenna and on a Slim Jim antenna as a base and it seemed to do fairly well.
Like I said, so far, I'm pleased with it.

VE2FAB Rating: 1/5 Jun 17, 2014 16:44 Send this review to a friend
Unable to program the radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought two Baofeng at Dayton, this one and the 220MHz both are malfunctionning!
This one can not program any channel, the programming port did not work.
The menu is really bad. Sometime will not save the parameter.
Only one offset for two band!!!
Harmonics are much higher than what they spec in there manual...

AULDWILLY Rating: 1/5 Jun 14, 2014 21:39 Send this review to a friend
You get what you pay for  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Came with several accessories.
Neither program software nor drivers would load on Win7.
On-line search for software was fruitless.
Wasted the whole morning.
Flashlight worked great.
Sent it back.

N8AUC Rating: 5/5 Jun 9, 2014 19:11 Send this review to a friend
Still working!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one of these last year at Dayton. For $50, I figured I'd take a gamble.

Well, now it's one year later. The darned thing is still working well. It rides in my computer bag every day. A few of the buttons are mildly scuffed, but other than that it still works and looks new.

I dropped it once. It landed on a hard wood floor and survived with no visible or functional issues.

In fact, they were even cheaper this year at Dayton, down to $39 from R&L. So I bought 2 more.
Please note that this is NOT the best radio ever made. But the bang you get for the buck you spend is quite surprising. What it does, versus what it costs, it totally worth it in my opinion.

This is one gamble that has paid off. I remain pleased with my purchase. Now if I can just find one of the 144/220 versions of this radio....

73 de N8AUC