Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Jetstream JTB2B Dual Band VHF/UHF Base Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Jetstream JTB2B Dual Band VHF/UHF Base Antenna
Jetstream JTB2B Dual Band VHF/UHF Base Antenna Reviews: 6 Average rating: 2.2/5 MSRP: $60
Description: Dual Band 144-148/440 Base Antenna

You can write your own review of the Jetstream JTB2B Dual Band VHF/UHF Base Antenna.

KN6Q Rating: 5/5 Nov 19, 2015 09:53 Send this review to a friend
Absolutely awesome antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought this at a Hamfest in this spring. I felt so lucky getting a 8 foot tall base antenna so cheap.

I can report it's made it through the 100 degree plus days of the Texas summer, 60+ MPH winds in storms and rain and now we are on the cusp of winter.

I've downsized my power supply to my radio because I can work EVERY repeater in the Dallas/Fort Worth area on 5 watts. Repeaters I could barely key up or couldn't reach with the J-Pole on 50 Watts are no problem now. Same mounting location, same feedline, same radio, 2 different J-Pole antennas. This antenna is just vastly superior, the gain is no joke.

I suppose I should have tried to weatherize it some, but I didn't even think about it at the time. I guess I'll put some sealer on it when I put up the Christmas lights.

It really does seem to be very good construction, and hasn't let me down so far. I use this for my APRS IGate, so it's running 24/7.

All of this for less than $60. Are you kidding me?

I don't why there are not more positive reviews, especially considering all of the positive reviews for the previous version JTB2 - I don't know what the difference is between the two is, but generally I would think the next version is supposed to be an improvement. Did I have good luck or did they have bad luck? I don't know. All I know is I'm impressed and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

KD2DOW Rating: 0/5 Jan 22, 2015 06:06 Send this review to a friend
DOA with minimal use.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This antenna went south after 6 months with less than minimal use. Used mostly for receive.
Complete waste of time and money putting this up.

N6MED Rating: 3/5 Dec 30, 2014 17:12 Send this review to a friend
Some quality comments  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought and put up today, 12-30-14, this Diamond clone because it was more economical than the equivalent Diamond. on casual inspection one can immediately see why it is more economical: it's cheaply built!
The plus:
Has a desirable VSWR with less than 1:1.5 at the 2M band edges on my MFJ 259 (unable to check it on UHF)
The Minuses:
-- Designed so that the upper section on assembly slips into the lower vs. the other way around. If the joiner hardware leaks (refer to next "minus"), water will follow the upper section piece down into the lower.
-- The joiner hardware comes with a rather anemic o-ring that is a very poor fit. Assuring water tight integrity of the assembly required a trip to the hardware to get a grommet that I could re-purpose. It required cutting it in half (around the circumference) so that it created a snug washer to fit between the mating surface of the hardware and fit tightly around the upper section where it slips into the lower. I further wrapped the joiner hardware with tape in a manner that would shed water down past the junction.
-- the element inside the radome is tubular vs solid brass rod (a negative IMHO).
-- the base of the antenna is chromed something-or-other underneath vs. the stainless base of a Diamond. Time will tell how well this weathers.

Long term performance yet TBD.

KM4ANW Rating: 2/5 Jul 30, 2014 12:03 Send this review to a friend
JTB2B problem  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As a newbie to the ham world I have a TX RX problem. I thought it might be my antenna so I replaced my original 2m/70cm antenna with the Jetstream JTB2B. It's 30 ft above ground.

The problem is now I can RX and TX on 2 m and RX on 70 cm but I cant TX on 70cm.

I'm using a Anytone Dual band Transceiver.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

ps. The stations I receive and send are set to the correct PL's.

KB9TMP Rating: 3/5 Mar 15, 2012 10:01 Send this review to a friend
Some Quality Problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine now for about 3 years. It still works fine but the radials are very weak. You look at them wrong and they break off. I have replaced two now with 1/4 inch steel rod cut down and threaded to 6mm. I checked during the winter and the last one has broken off and needs replaced. The threaded part of the radial looks to be just "pot" metal and doesn't hold up. When you buy this antenna there are stickers on the clear outside front of the package stating that it is a JTB2 and the other has Jetstream's 800 phone number. If you look from the inside of the package the JTB2 sticker covers up "X-200" printed on the package itself. Which explains why the Jetstream line looks so much like Diamond products. It's because it's a cheaper made Diamond at half the price which explains the quality issues. Would I buy another one? Maybe but I doubt it unless I just couldn't afford a Diamond. Most likely when it fails I will end up with an Arrow Antenna J146/440 J-Pole and have something stronger, and made here in the U.S.A.

N4HB Rating: 0/5 Mar 15, 2012 07:28 Send this review to a friend
Terrible Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this antenna from R&L Electronics in late 2011. It was installed side mounted on my tower when the weather broke in early March of 2012. This antenna was DOA. I installed a different manufactures dual band base antenna and everything worked as it should have. It was very inexpensive and you get what you pay for; lesson learned! Don't waste your money on this particular product. I have since heard from others that they have experienced the same issues with this series of VHF/UHF antennas.