Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | Alpha VERTICAL Multi-Band Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Alpha VERTICAL Multi-Band Antenna
Alpha VERTICAL Multi-Band Antenna Reviews: 29 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $249
Description: The Portable & Vertical Multi-Band Antenna from Alpha Antenna with the solid state Alpha Match for 6-80 Meters can be expanded for use on 160 Meters with the optional "HF Enhancement Kit" available below, and is an excellent choice for Apartment/Condo Residents & HOA Base, Emergency Deployment, and Field Day or just a good Day in the Field.

Included is the Alpha Match rated at 1000 watts PEP, which nearly eliminates the need for an additional antenna tuner on 6 through 80 meters. Also included is our Extremely Durable milstick whip and our heavy-duty steel tripod made out of 1 1/4 inch diameter steel (standard mast size), which stands 6'6" high. This tripod is designed to be your counterpoise system, to which you can add the optional "Counterpoise Kit" listed below for even greater performance and lower SWRs.

RigExpert AA-54 Alpha Antenna SWR Analysis without "Counterpoise Kit" or "HF Enhancement Kit", both available below: http://www.alphaantenna.com/pdf/Alpha_Vertical_Antenna_SWR.pdf

User Manual http://alphaantenna.com/pdf/Alpha_Vertical_Portable_Antenna_User_Guide.pdf

More info: http://AmateurRadioStore.com

You can write your own review of the Alpha VERTICAL Multi-Band Antenna.

KB8MRC Rating: 5/5 Mar 16, 2014 19:52 Send this review to a friend
Does the job   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had the Alpha antenna 6-80m Alpha Vertical Sr. for a couple of weeks now and have had great success with it. First contact was to Lithuania from Ohio on 10m. I rent so I've had to use portable antennas in the house. With the Alpha antenna setup in the back yard, I now can extend my range. I like not having to re adjust the tuner every time I changed bands. Can now make calls on 40 and 80 meters without tuning. I had a question for Steve and he was very prompt in his response. For those on a limited budget or rent this is a good alternative.

KC1AKV Rating: 5/5 Mar 1, 2014 19:22 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna Works as advertised  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I set this antenna up on a New York City rooftop during the 03/01/14 all band contest weekend. The conditions are challenging at best since I am in a four story building surrounded by tall buildings. I run barefoot with a FTDX 1200 and I have made contacts on 10, 15, 18 and 20 meters from Russia to Morocco to the Azores etc. One contact broke through a pile-up to Russia. WOW! I am more than impressed.

KA6UTD Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2014 06:48 Send this review to a friend
Great performance and low price  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The closest antenna system that I could find to Vertical Sr is the $399 Buddipole Deluxe package and the TransWorld antenna, which costs even more. Well, for $249 I figured I'd give the Alpha Vertical Sr Antenna a try.

As soon as I set up the Vertical Sr, about a 2 minute procedure, I was talking to a station in Russia on 20 meters followed by many state-side contacts that evening on 40 meters. There was only one issue with the antenna; I couldn't get into the local 40 meter nets. A quick call to Steve, owner of Alpha Antenna, and I was reminded that 40 (as well as 80/160) meters all use NVIS for local comms. As this is a vertical antenna element, Steve recommended that I either build or order a Counterpoise Kit from www.AmateurRadioStore.com. This would provide a reflective ground plain under the antenna system and enhance NVIS. I ordered one for $48, making my investment now $297, still $102 less than the BP and far less than the TransWorld system.

I specifically mention these the BP and TW antenna systems in relation to the Vertical Sr because last weekend a couple ham friends and I went camping to 'test our antenna systems'. It was COLD, snow was DEEP, and it was DARK. The BP system required us to change clips when we changed frequency, which was very difficult due to it being DARK and I don't even want to talk about how COLD we got changing the clip! The TransWorld couldn't deal with the DEEP snow, for it requires a flat/steady surface and the wind would tip it over. Neat thing about the Vertical from Alpha Antenna was that we just shoved the tripod into the snow, strung out the Counterpoise Kit, and the built in Alpha Match automatically tuned the antenna (no going outside!). The Alpha Vertical Sr allowed us to stay inside, where it was SAFE and WARM!

Thank you, Alpha Antenna, for providing such an easy to use antenna system that performed as well as the Buddipole Deluxe and TransWorld antenna that we compared it to.

AI6EE Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2013 11:51 Send this review to a friend
Expensive, but easy to set up and it works  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got one for xmas and set it up with my KX3 and was able to make qrp qsos with Eastern OR, Tacoma and Ottowa Canada.

Very easy to put up and take down, nice construction, and it just works!

Bob AI6EE

KA3ZWN Rating: 5/5 Dec 11, 2013 09:46 Send this review to a friend
Have had this antenna for 2 years  Time owned: more than 12 months
Yes, I know this is a portable antenna that isn't built to be left outside in the weather. Mainly because I was lazy, I put it up about two years ago and never bothered taking it down. So I figured it was time to inspect it and perform any routine maintenance. I found that there was a white type of build-up (corrosion?) around the stud where it goes into the mount. Anyways, I called Alpha Antenna to ask them about it; at which time I found out that they had recently switched every part over to stainless steel or brass. They then offered to send all of the replacement parts to upgrade me system! They proved to me that all the reports about their customer service are true!

Performance has been as good as my TransWorld TW2010 antenna on 10, 12, 15, 17, & 20 Meters, which is what I use for portable. I also have a DXCC from Alpha Delta, and the Alpha Vertical performs about the same on 10, 15, & 20. I wanted 12 & 17 Meters too, which is one of the reasons I bought the Alpha. On 40 meters the DXCC does perform about 15% better than the Vertical and on 80 meters it performs about 30 or 35% better. To be fair, Alpha Antenna does make an HF Enhancement Kit, for even they told me on the phone that they 'realize the limitations of the Alpha Vertical Antenna, which is why an enhancement kit is offered for the lower bands...not to mention that a Counter-Poise kit is also offered.' So, I ordered the HF Enhancement Kit, and now I am much more pleased with the antennas performance. I believe that the lower bands are more NVIS so horizontal elements are needed, which is why dipoles and antenna's like my DXCC work well on the lower bands.

N8KR Rating: 3/5 Dec 10, 2013 07:53 Send this review to a friend
Not Worth It  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Spending a couple of months in Florida in a "mobile home" type community, I wanted some type of antenna that would be portable and productive. Being a half a block from the Gulf, I figured this vertical would be the answer. It Was easy to assemble and the swr was as advertised. Making contacts with it was difficult. I added 4 radials with some improvement. Half way through CQWW CW, I decided to erect a 20 and 40 meter dipole 12 feet above the ground and remove the Alpha Senior Vertical. It was like someone turned the attenuator off the radio and the bands came to life. Those two very low dipoles easily produced 75 countries and a couple hundred contacts while I could barely work a station with the Alpha vertical. After being up two weeks, there was rust on the hardware nuts and bolts including the point where the vertical portion attaches to the "chrome" base.
I like the tripod base and am using it to support a 12 foot pole to elevate my dipoles to 20 feet! With a tuner in my radio, I can tune every band from 40 to 10 and work stations with no difficulty. While I don't have 80 meters, trying to use 80 meters (as advertised) with the Alpha Vertical was unproductive.
Pros: nice tripod, nice carrying case, easy assembly, shows low swr on some bands, works best on 10 and 15 meters
Cons: doesn't "hear" or transmit very well.

K1EAR Rating: 5/5 Dec 4, 2013 12:52 Send this review to a friend
clever, effective portable vertical  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this to use in temporary housing (landing of second floor of a duplex) here in Rapid City. Antenna assembles or breaks down in about two minutes, and inconspicuous enough not to annoy my landlord.
SWR was not quite as per published charts but still good for the bands I work; about 1.6-1.4 across 20 M, and 1.9 on 30 M. My SWR meter does not cover 50 mhz but seems to tune well there too.
Performance has been surprisingly good in directions where I have a clear path, working into South America and Europe easily with 100w.
Very pleased with this well-made antenna, and looking forward to installing with the radial kit when I get a permanent qth.

KB1ZUQ Rating: 5/5 Nov 12, 2013 16:02 Send this review to a friend
Great Portable Antenna System  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Alpha Vertical is quick and easy to set up, with SWR right out of the box as described. Have been making numerous contacts on 10, 15, 17, and 20 meters thus far, with contacts as far as Eastern Europe and South America from the North East. Customer service is also top notch - Steve is always ready and takes the time to answer questions, and has been quite helpful with suggestions on how to make the antenna system perform even better. I expect to be making good use of this antenna for portable operations for some time to come.

KC2RSE Rating: 5/5 Oct 30, 2013 16:05 Send this review to a friend
excellent antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is an excellent portable antenna. It is super easy to set up and take down. It certainly fits my needs living in an adult community in New Jersey. I have recently added the counterpoise kit to this antenna as well and most of my signal reports are good. I am very happy with this antenna and the counterpoise kit.

KF9RM Rating: 5/5 Oct 30, 2013 15:37 Send this review to a friend
Perfect Solution For My Situation  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The Alpha Antenna Vertical Sr on a 6ft tripod is the perfect solution to my situation. My HOA has a “No Communications Antennas” covenant.

I have been using my Alpha Sr Vertical for several months now. During contests, I can work most of the DX I hear. When the band is open, I can consistently get through the pileups in one or two calls using an Ameritron 80B.

I have had DX stations tell me I was 59+, very strong and ask what I am using for an antenna. When I tell them an Alpha Antenna Vertical on a 6 foot tripod, sometimes they come back and ask, ”What did you say you are using for an antenna?” in an amazed, almost in a voice of disbelief, “A vertical on a tripod?”

I am using 4 counterpoise with the antenna. I have experimented with HF horizontal elements, but cannot really say whether my transmitted signal was any better or not by adding the horizontal radiators. I do need to experiment more here, primarily for 40 and 80.

We all know that there is no magic antenna, but the Alpha Antenna vertical does what it is designed to do and does it well. Easy for me to put up and take down and stay off the HOA radar screen.

Steve, the owner has always been there to answer my questions as I work to see if I can make the antenna perform even better than it does.

Steve takes the time to explain the design philosophy, other considerations, trade-offs and why he chose to implement what he did. He also offers up other suggestions for experimentation.

My next experiments are to try using the Vertical Sr. as a 24 or 33 ft vertical with the additional of wire and slope the wire towards a tree. I also have an Alpha Antenna Moto Marine Antenna. I never found much time to use it on the boat, so I am going to also use it as a 24 or 33 ft vertical same as the Vertical Sr, but vary the slope of the wire to the tree so one should perform better on the lower bands and the other better on the HF bands. I am also going to experiment with the signal strength due to directivity of one having the sloping wire oriented north to south and the other east to west, but while maintaining a constant slope.

I also have an Alpha Antenna 6-160 HF J-Pole which I used to use before I purchased my amplifier. I have the J-Pole hooked to an older backup rig and the receive performance is amazing. I am able to make contacts on it, but do not use it much as it is hooked up to my secondary rig. Looking back at the logs, I was able to work DX with it, although I do recall it took a little more work using it with 100W than the Vertical with an Amplifier. But the J-Pole is oriented pretty much horizontal. I should probably try and add some slope to it at some point in time and then run some 100W and less comparison tests.

I do sometimes switch between the J-Pole and the Vertical to see which has the stronger signal. On 6 meters, I was getting a better signal on the J-Pole, but it is higher off the ground than the Vertical at around 20 feet or so. The J-Pole is usually better on 40 than the Vertical, but due to the extra length of the J-Pole, that should be expected. Funny thing is that sometimes it is the other way around. 80 seems to be a toss-up. 20, 15 and 10 usually favor the Vertical.

In summary, the Alpha Antennas provide me stealth solutions that keeps me off the HOA radar screen, are quick to put up and take down and work very well. And also give me something to experiment with.