Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | Alpha VERTICAL Multi-Band Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Alpha VERTICAL Multi-Band Antenna
Alpha VERTICAL Multi-Band Antenna Reviews: 37 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $249
Description: The Portable & Vertical Multi-Band Antenna from Alpha Antenna with the solid state Alpha Match for 6-80 Meters can be expanded for use on 160 Meters with the optional "HF Enhancement Kit" available below, and is an excellent choice for Apartment/Condo Residents & HOA Base, Emergency Deployment, and Field Day or just a good Day in the Field.

Included is the Alpha Match rated at 1000 watts PEP, which nearly eliminates the need for an additional antenna tuner on 6 through 80 meters. Also included is our Extremely Durable milstick whip and our heavy-duty steel tripod made out of 1 1/4 inch diameter steel (standard mast size), which stands 6'6" high. This tripod is designed to be your counterpoise system, to which you can add the optional "Counterpoise Kit" listed below for even greater performance and lower SWRs.

RigExpert AA-54 Alpha Antenna SWR Analysis without "Counterpoise Kit" or "HF Enhancement Kit", both available below: http://www.alphaantenna.com/pdf/Alpha_Vertical_Antenna_SWR.pdf

User Manual http://alphaantenna.com/pdf/Alpha_Vertical_Portable_Antenna_User_Guide.pdf

More info: http://AmateurRadioStore.com

You can write your own review of the Alpha VERTICAL Multi-Band Antenna.

KJ4PV Rating: 5/5 Oct 27, 2014 12:40 Send this review to a friend
Good bang for the buck!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have just re-entered the hobby after a 10 year hiatus. I'm also antenna restricted. I shopped a round, reading reviews, and settled on this antenna. I'm glad I did. Sets up quickly. Breaks down quickly. I leave it up in the back yard until the lawn mower guys come. Then take down and put back up in 15 minutes. I am using the counterpoise kit. Worked the DXCC contest this weekend and made many contacts. For what it is, it's a great little antenna.

KB8MRC Rating: 4/5 Oct 16, 2014 12:31 Send this review to a friend
Works fine for a vertical update review  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Had done a previous review back in March. Since then I have worked New Zealand twice and made my first 6m contact to Florida from Ohio. I'm dropping my rating a to a 4 since it's still basically a vertical on a 6.5 ft tripod. I run barefoot and have it set up as specified. Still love the fact that I really don't have to tune it other than 80m. Will not out perform a Beam at 40ft. But will do fine for Field days, state QSO parties. The better the propagation the better the performance.

KF5SMS Rating: 5/5 Oct 10, 2014 09:14 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Field Antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I took this antenna out for the first time this last week, and boy was I surprised! Setup was extremely fast and intuitive, and getting up and running was a breeze. The bands seemed to just open up, and for a few hours, I was able to log several very long range contacts. When it came time to tear down, it took less than 5 minutes, which was incredible.

KA6GWF Rating: 5/5 Jul 29, 2014 13:43 Send this review to a friend
Excellent for quick setup and operation  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Thanks for the follow-up e-mail after my purchase. The short story is that I am very pleased with the antenna. The extremely easy installation and take down is easily half the reason I am so pleased with it. I found that my Yaesu ATU and my LDG tuner both handled a match across each band that the antenna covers. I recently camped for a week in the High Sierras at nearly 6000 ft. elevation and used the antenna mainly for reception with an FT-450 and an FT-817. The end of my camp week was Field Day so you might understand that I couldn't get many valid signal reports during a contest period! I did make my own radial kit which helped swr a bit and I did invent a foot sleeve of my own to stake down the tripod legs during windy periods. So again, thank you for your inquiry and for producing a fine high quality and effective antenna so that I may quickly set up for CW operation from my RV.

N5MZL Rating: 3/5 Jul 25, 2014 11:04 Send this review to a friend
It is what it is  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the Alpha Vertical antenna a couple of months ago with high hopes. But as WB4MIO pointed out, the laws of physics still apply, with the result that I was rather disappointed. Indeed, had I seen his review before purchasing the antenna, I would have passed on it. Yes, you can make the occasional contact with the Vertical, especially when the upper HF bands are open. But then, if 10-17 meters are really open, you can work the world with not much more than a six inch piece of wet string, so this is not saying much. Having been a ham for nearly 30 years, I should have known better. I was hoping for performance comparable to a resonant dipole, but that is not what I got. The antenna is built pretty well; that "mil-stick" whip is much preferable to the usual telescoping type. However, if you experience much in the way of a stiff breeze, you will need to guy the tripod in some way, if not using the counterpoise wires. Otherwise a 15-20 mph breeze will blow it over. Also, adding a 33 foot wire to the vertical, as suggested by WB4MIO, does indeed help on 40 meters. As I said at the start, it is what it is. You can make some contacts with it, but do not expect miracles.

WB4MIO Rating: 5/5 Jul 18, 2014 07:57 Send this review to a friend
Very good antenna for what is was designed for.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I did 40m comparison tests against a "Ham Stick" type, Hustler mobile with the high power coil, and a G5RV. It performed as I expected it would. I found it to be better than the Ham Stick, almost as good as the big Hustler, and about 4 s-units below the G5RV on both transmit and receive. (40m is the only band that I have all three types of antennas for.)

I set it up for just a little bit of field day. I only worked 40m. I used the 4 - 15' counterpoise wires and the single 33' "NVIS wire" and worked six southeastern states (AL, FL, TN, NC, SC, GA) on 40m in the hour I had to play with it. I heard stations in LA, AR, MS, MO, IL, and KY but couldn't get through the field day pileups.

I have not used it much on the higher frequency bands yet. On the receive tests I did it seems to perform better on 20m and up as you would expect. On 17m there was very little difference in received signals on the Alpha and my G5RV.

I like the segmented whips much better than a telescoping whip. While I hope I don't inadvertently test this, it seems to me that this type of whip would be much more rugged than a telescoping whip. This type whip could be repaired with a new segment. A telescoping whip is all or nothing....

I am doing a few of things different than the "out of the bag" setup:
1 - I put a quick disconnect where the whip mounts on top of the matching unit. For me that is a lot easier than trying to line the threads up with the whip extended and a lot quicker too.
2 - I put a 5' piece of nylon cord at the end of the 15' counterpoise wires. That gives me some flexibility on where to drive the stakes or lets me tie it off to other objects such as a small tree, fence, etc. I could tie them off to some type of weight if using the antenna in an area where you can't drive stakes such as in a parking lot. (I made my own counterpoise and NVIS wires.)
3 - I bought four wrist/ankle weights (5 lb. each) and put them on the tripod legs and the center pole just above the braces. That makes the tripod very stable even if you don't have the room to guy the tripod with the counterpoise wires.

Also, remember that a vertical antenna usually has a lower angle of radiation. If you are planning to work close in (under 100 miles) on 80m or 40m you probably need to add the NVIS wire.

The only thing that did not meet my expectations is the tripod. I got the aluminum tripod, but had expected it to be a little more robust than it is. If I had it to do over I might get the steel tripod instead. The tripod is the only reason I am giving a 4.9 rating rather than a 5.0 rating.

If you are expecting this antenna to compete with a full size G5RV or a resonant dipole, you will probably be disappointed. A 13 foot whip 6.5 off the ground is never going to work as well as 102 of wire in the air at 40 as long as the laws of physics apply. If you are looking for an antenna that can be set up where a dipole is not practical, for quick setup portable operation, or in a covenant restricted area then you will probably will be satisfied. With my FT897 in one hand and the Alpha antenna bag in the other hand I can put a station on the air just about anywhere in a matter of minutes. I am satisfied with the antenna and would purchase it again. Finally, I compliment the owner (Steve) on customer support. I called him with quite a few questions before I purchased the antenna. He was most helpful, and everything he told me turned out to be accurate.

AA4DM Rating: 5/5 Jul 17, 2014 16:26 Send this review to a friend
If you've got a problem, you've not asked Alpha for a solution!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I operated portable at Herb Parsons Lake near here in Collierville (30 miles east of Memphis) a couple weeks ago. Fourth of July Saturday weekend. I set up my IC706MKIIG and the Alpha Antenna system and used 4-25 foot radials. I was surrounded by some water about 300 feet away and was operating under a pavilion, with the Alpha Antenna about 50 feet away. Everything was pretty much in the clear, but with several trees around me in the park. I was on battery power using a 35 AMp hr sealed battery. I operated approximately 2 1/2 hrs,running about 90-100 watts. I was consistently one of the loudest signals on the band, bursting pile up after pile up for special event stations, worked west coast with ease, up the northeast with consistent 5-9 signals. SWR was low, and my 706 was happy. Probably close to 50-60 contacts in the period. Worked some DX on 17 into Europe, but some QSB on the bands into Europe.

The system was set up with ease. I clipped on the radials per instructions and just had a ball
with the Alpha.

Advantages:
Super for portable operation.
Consistent low SWR readings.
Excellent antenna construction for durability.
All radios happy!

KK4QOE Rating: 5/5 Jul 17, 2014 15:46 Send this review to a friend
great product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hi Steve,
Sure, would love to share. My Alpha Vertical saved the day at field
day this year, was having issues with tuning a windom antenna that was hung
on a 45 ft temporary tripod. After many issues I finally broke out the
alpha, within 10 minutes I was up and running making contacts all over the
world on 15 meters... the alpha performed flawlessly, it's easy to set up
and take down and does not need any special tuner... prior to field day I
had made my own counterpoise (16 ft) and used that as well... I liked the
performance so much I decided to go ahead and order your Egg Beater Sat
antenna..

Thanks again for a great product, is well worth the wait for it to be built.

Sincerely

KK4QOE
David

KF5VGK Rating: 5/5 Jul 13, 2014 18:54 Send this review to a friend
Great Portable!  Time owned: months
After using the Alpha Vertical Sr antenna for several weeks, I must say I'm impressed! I set up the antenna for some other Ham buddies and they didn't know what to think. I had mine up an operational while they were still trying to tune their other antennas. I've made contacts on all bands that this antenna is tuned for with great reports! Great portable antenna!

KC1AKV Rating: 5/5 Mar 1, 2014 19:22 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna Works as advertised  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I set this antenna up on a New York City rooftop during the 03/01/14 all band contest weekend. The conditions are challenging at best since I am in a four story building surrounded by tall buildings. I run barefoot with a FTDX 1200 and I have made contacts on 10, 15, 18 and 20 meters from Russia to Morocco to the Azores etc. One contact broke through a pile-up to Russia. WOW! I am more than impressed.