Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | Alpha Multiband Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Alpha Multiband Antenna
Alpha Multiband Antenna Reviews: 55 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $249
Description: The Alpha Multiband Antenna deploys in 60 seconds and a perfect SWR match of 1:1 on all frequencies/bands above is easily achieved with your tuner. System and options include a Field Bag, Alpha Match, 13 foot aluminum Mil-Stick whip available in 26 or 13 inch sections, Tripod with Mast, Jaw Mount, Active wire elements, and Counterpoise.

You can write your own review of the Alpha Multiband Antenna.

N1ECC Rating: 5/5 Mar 10, 2018 16:29 Send this review to a friend
Better than expected  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Purchased this Alpha Vertical Multiband Antenna for Field Day last year using a tripod running low power and had Great Results. Late fall I mounted this mounted this antenna on a 10' mast driven into the ground 3' making the antenna 7' above the ground. I used this antenna for Winter Field earlier this year with great results. I decided after Winter Field Day to leave it up for the winter months using my Field Day setup as a second station when weather conditions allowed.
Well earlier this week we up here in New England their was a Snow Storm that hit us with wet snow and strong winds!. After the storm I looked out my window and saw my Alpha Vertical Antenna mil-stick element at 90 degrees horizontal weighed down from the snow. I was thinking that the antenna has now issues and I would have to purchase a new one. After cleaning the driveway etc. I decided to clean the snow off and check out the damage to the Alpha Antenna. To my surprise the element sprung back up to vertical and I found no cracks at all to any part of the antenna. I tested it out making a couple contacts on 20 meters to confirm that everything was OK.
Thumbs up to Steve and is staff on making a super durable antenna. I think this antenna is going to stay up and I will continue to us it as my station 2 antenna.
I highly recommend this antenna not only as a portable but as a Base Antenna in any limited space dwelling.
I am now looking at other Alpha Antenna Products that I can use for future Ham Radio Adventures.

KN4HPW Rating: 5/5 Mar 9, 2018 01:08 Send this review to a friend
Awesome Antenna!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just wanted to put my 2 cents in on the Alpha Antenna Multiband. I purchased this antenna after a couple of months of research as my first HF antenna. I was looking for a product that was well built, had good performance characteristics, and was easy to assemble and disassemble. I have been nothing more than pleased with this purchase. I live in a coastal area where the environment is relatively harsh. I purchased the antenna with the HD-FMJ (Heavy Duty - Full Metal Jacket) Tripod partially with the environmental conditions in mind. The tripod is solid and easy to deploy. The antenna sets up in a matter of minutes and does not require assistance. I have three guy ropes attached to provide additional stability as recommended by the manufacturer. I have had this unit deployed since January and it has withstood the conditions along the Outer Banks of North Carolina including several intense winter events. The performance is accurately described by Alpha Antenna with regards to radiation pattern. I have made PSK-31 contacts as far distant as 5500 miles and have been heard as distant as Antartica when doing a WSPR test on 100 and 20 watts respectively. The antenna has met and exceeded all of the criteria for which I made my initial purchase.

I will make additional purchases from this company for a reason for which I had not considered when first purchasing this first antenna. That is the exceptional customer service. As a new ham I had questions about the radiation pattern of my antenna. I contacted Alpha Antenna by e-mail on a Saturday and much to my surprise within minutes I received an e-mail reply from Steven Deines the founder of Alpha Antenna. We exchanged several e-mails that afternoon and he followed up with me the following week after I gathered some data doing a 24 hour WSPR test. That is the kind of service and support that I would submit one would be hard pressed to find with another company.

Needless to say, I am a real fan and committed customer to a company that has produced an awesome product and stands behind their work with a service commitment that is second to none.
N5JED Rating: 5/5 Jun 16, 2017 17:16 Send this review to a friend
Quality built antenna. Exceptional value. Works super!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is an update to previous e-Ham review of Alpha 13 foot multiband mil-spec whip vertical antenna. Today worked PY5QW on 24.940 MHz. Band conditions were listed as poor for 12 meters. However, received a 56/7 signal report on SSB and gave PY5QW a 56 report. The south Brazil station according to QRZ.COM is located 5,056 miles from my QTH. Alpha makes an exceptionally well built quality antenna that exceeds all literature regarding performance and value for money.
KE0JNC Rating: 5/5 Feb 14, 2017 08:21 Send this review to a friend
Terrific!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just tried my 6-80M 500W Complete Multiband tuner free HF antenna that I purchased from you last month. The performance exceeded my expectations! Having thoroughly researched portable antenna systems for months I decided to purchase your product. It is amazing in that it "hears" things my home station vertical antenna doesn't. Another ham and I did a side by side comparison - my Kenwood 940S/AT running through a Hustler 5BTV ground mounted antenna on one hand, and my Yaesu FT-897D running through your multiband antenna on the other. While comparing these two transceivers is hardly an "apples to apples comparison," there was less band noise on your antenna. I was also able to hear stations on your antenna that I was unable to hear on my home station vertical. Signal reports were great as well. You've produced a terrific product! Thanks!
KB8MRC Rating: 5/5 Feb 11, 2017 20:46 Send this review to a friend
Third review update  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my third review of this product. Just want to add this antenna is very good when using the digital modes. Just worked a couple of stations on JT65 160m band. I don't even have it tuned for that band but it got out. So if you want something economical and portable and your into digital modes, this should do the job. P.S. my call was spotted on the website for digital modes by a station on Antarctica using this antenna. This while I was trying to make a contact with another station. 50 watts, grey line and weak propagation. I would say not bad at all.
KC3RW Rating: 5/5 Jan 14, 2017 15:39 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
We bought this antenna late in year to help the YL in her pursuit of National Parks on the Air (NPOTA) activator. The antenna was great she worked mostly 80 to 10m SSB with great results, we were often asked what antenna we were using. This was the most back pack portable antenna set up we had.
The greatest asset was its ability to be put up and torn down in seconds. Which aided greatly in moving from park to park so quickly. Customer service was great you can ask these guys any questions. You can also mix and match products to give you the best package.
M6MQC Rating: 5/5 Oct 6, 2016 15:22 Send this review to a friend
Under 5 watts  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
ok so I took my alpha antenna to the club I attend and was on my little yeasu 817 nd using solar power so radio was at 5 watts of power and from my club in chorley which is in the u.k we managed to get Adriatic Russia with a 5/7 report WOW I could not believe that my set up would extend that far but was truly amazed the alpha performance was just unbelievable and at only 5 watts also the speed at which the antenna was put up and taken down very nice I must say the whole kit is worth it!!
W4RJJ Rating: 5/5 Sep 29, 2016 12:10 Send this review to a friend
DOES THE JOB FOR ME  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This review is for the Alpha Antenna vertical multi-band with the stainless steel
alpha match which supports the collapsible whip antenna. I think
there are earlier versions of an Alpha multi-band going back
several years which had different component construction. But my
use and review is specifically for the latest version, as of mid 2016,
with the steel alpha match unit.

Along with the steel alpha match, I use their heavy duty tripod, along
with the one counterpoise wire supplied with the unit. This tripod is
substantial but easy to fold and carry. It has pointed plastic spikes on each
foot and that makes it easy to push it into the ground to stabilize the tripod
and thus the whole unit. The tripod is around 6 feet and the alpha match
unit screws onto the tripod and then the 13 foot whip screws onto the top
of the alpha match unit. I have had no problem at all with stability of the
whole antenna as deployed. It stays in place as intended.

As a new ham, I wanted a simple installation to get moving and operating.
My test was, "can I put this together and operate without messing it up".
Passed that test. No measuring, computing, configuring, climbing trees,
slingshots into trees, walking on roof. Plug and play. Now I can operate
while having time to consult with my new ham friends on how to
wire up my yard at some point. But for now, I'm in no hurry because this
antenna is much more than I had anticipated.

Even with a long run of 75 feet of LMR-400 coax to the antenna, the SWR
meter shows very low readings. Low across all bands.
The internal tuner on my Yaesu FT 1200, has no problem bringing it down
to no more than 1.3:1 and usually lower than that.

The performance. It does the job for me. Even with the much documented
declining band conditions, when a band opens, this vertical hits what is there.
No amp. All SSB phone. In the first 2 months operating, when my work
schedule permitted some radio time, the Alpha vertical allowed me to log 34
US States and 16 countries. My two highlights were a 5 minute QSO with Auckland,
New Zealand and a special event station in Omsk, Russia. I am very
pleased with the performance.

One last thing. Steve, the head of Alpha Antenna, is a great example of
how to actively run a company and build customer loyalty. I had a question
about placement options of the counterpoise. I emailed him my question
on a Sunday afternoon at 4 pm. My inbox had his response and answer at
5 pm. On a Sunday. C'mon who does that? Steve obviously.

In summary, this Alpha Antenna multi-band vertical is easy. No worries.
Less than 5 minutes and you are on the air having fun, making good contacts
worldwide, the neighbors think you have a weather monitor on a tripod,
and the family is not yelling at you to get off the roof or out of the tree.
For me it is an exceptional antenna and does the job.

Robert J.
KA0SOG Rating: 5/5 Aug 6, 2016 21:03 Send this review to a friend
Easy Peasy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this because stringing a multi band wire fan dipole in the oak and hickory forest of H Roe Bartle Scout Reservation in the Missouri Ozarks is a PITA. Sometimes you can have too many trees! I bought this system to put on the air at Scout Camp demoing ham radio and teaching radio merit badge. It knocked the ball out of the park in simplicity, durability (I was a staff Trainer and there 43 days total) and it performed satisfactorily even when band conditions were very poor. Used it with a Yaesu 450D and made many contacts across the US and even a few outside! Easy to deploy and take down. Convenient and compact.
KE5YOW Rating: 5/5 Jul 13, 2016 17:42 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

This is a great antenna for use when my 5th-wheel trailer is parked. I've used wire antennas and Hustler Resonators sucessfully, but my wife does not like me climbing ladders anymore. Alpha Antenna is the solution. I set mine up in under 5 minutes, making sure I was doing things right. Now it's a shorter time period, and I expect 60 seconds soon. I didn't tie the antenna down, and a gust of wind knocked it down. Once weighted down, it stayed put. My first contact was from Friendswood, Texas, to Western PA on 15m. A week later I made a contact with a station in Northfield, MN from Friendswood, TX. How's that for a vertical antenna! I am looking forward to ordering some extra parts in the future to try different mounting locations.

I would highly recommmend Steve and Alpha Antennas. If you have a question, he will answer it. Also, the antenna tunes to 160m, and they have this same antenna on their website for $199.00 at this time, saving you $50.00. I don't believe you can go wrong with this antenna.

I called Steve, and I agree with others that Alpha Antenna customer service can't be beat. We miscommunicated on my initial order, and I received the antenna with the claw pole grip. A call to Steve corrected that, and he sent me the tripod version and a return mailing label. He also told me I needed to guy the antenna down using the tripod.