Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | Alpha Multiband Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Alpha Multiband Antenna
Alpha Multiband Antenna Reviews: 53 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $249
Description: The Alpha Multiband Antenna deploys in 60 seconds and a perfect SWR match of 1:1 on all frequencies/bands above is easily achieved with your tuner. System and options include a Field Bag, Alpha Match, 13 foot aluminum Mil-Stick whip available in 26 or 13 inch sections, Tripod with Mast, Jaw Mount, Active wire elements, and Counterpoise.
More info: http://AmateurRadioStore.com

You can write your own review of the Alpha Multiband Antenna.

KA5OXA Rating: 5/5 Jun 19, 2016 17:20 Send this review to a friend
EZ UP & Great Performer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Received this antenna two days before Museum Ships Week End. Erected to the aft flag halyard of the Battleship USS TEXAS in a few minutes. Radio room on 2nd Deck and began working. We made over 150 contacts mostly 40 and 20 with many 59 plus reports using the 60 foot EMCOMM element. It was easy to reorient from WNW to NNE
Steve and the others at Alpha Antenna answered a number of questions in the two days before the contest. I definitely recommend the antenna. It is best to feed it from the upper end. Takes more coax but performance and portability is worth it. Operators were KA5OXA, N5KT & K9GEM.

KA6USA Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2016 10:23 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna in a small package  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I took the new Alpha Antenna 6-160 meter Multiband tactical system on my motorcycle with the Icom IC-7300 and a Bioenno LiFePO4 battery for some portable ops. Naturally, smaller is better and its 15" length in the case disappeared in my pannier. I also took a cheapie lighting tripod due to its small folded dimensions.

Setup was a snap and the jaw mount worked well on the tripod. The black coated MilStick had bare metal at each junction for positive electrical connections and each section fit together tightly and perfectly yet slipped together easily. The Alpha Match unit is solid and heavy stainless steel and screwed easily into the mount with one counterpoise connector slipped on before attachment. The MilStick followed easily, I attached the PL-259 connector and raised the tripod to six feet height. I ran out the counterpoise and used the attached and included stake to fasten it into the ground. Do tie down your tripod on windy days as the antenna, thin as it is, does catch some breeze.

This took about five minutes total. Once it had my rig operating I turned off the tuner and tested SWR. I got the following results during this one test. Mind you I could probably experiment with placement, height and counterpoise position but got SWRs as follows: 6=2.3, 10=1.6, 12=1.1, 15=2.3, 17=2.7, 20=1.7, 40=2.7 and 80=2.2. The internal tuner on the 7300 allows up to 3:1 and matched every band tuned to 1:1. I had my MFJ-939 antenna tuner with me as a backup but did not need to use it.

20-80 meters was good this day from Temecula, CA and my first two QSOs with Texas and Michigan received 59 reports. Local stations were booming in and I found the antenna worked for local and DX. One note, I was on a small hill facing west with higher hills to my east. That did not seem to make a difference and my signal got out well in every direction. I could not be happier with the performance or build quality.

KC8J Rating: 5/5 Sep 28, 2015 21:54 Send this review to a friend
Can't Be Beat!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have had the Alpha Vertical Antenna for 5 months, and I am completely satisfied. Not only does this antenna work set up in only a couple of minutes, but it works great. as you can see in the following video, https://youtu.be/FZCGNy_3KSs contacting Australia from south of Los Angeles was no problem! With the optional jaw mount there is no limit to where you can deploy this antenna!

K1EAR Rating: 4/5 Aug 22, 2015 09:40 Send this review to a friend
Update of previous review  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have used the Alpha Senior for two years now, at various qths and all bands, I feel I have to temper slightly my previous enthusiastic review. If I were to characterize performance on each band in one word, I'd say 80M and 6M poor, 40M fair, 30M good, and 20M through 10M still excellent. The counterpoises help slightly on the lower bands, but it's still disconcerting when someone you just worked easily on 20M, and is coming in S9 plus on 80M, can't hear you at all. Most of the power on that band gets eaten up in the Alpha Match (which gets warm to the touch). Still, that's the nature of the antenna, and on the whole, still satisfied...

VK3HOT Rating: 5/5 Aug 21, 2015 23:26 Send this review to a friend
Another Apha triumph!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased second hand from a fellow VK, set up took minutes and I added two counterpointed wires. First call on 20 SSB to a ZL with virtually unreadable copy from his end, second call a while later this afternoon netted a UA4 with a 5/5 report. Running a barefoot Icom 736 into this antenna, so far happy with the results. Nice workmanship as expected from Steve' s products, this is my second Alpha antenna and would recommend to anyone.

KB3RX Rating: 5/5 Jul 17, 2015 10:02 Send this review to a friend
Works as advertised  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Set up and teardown is quick and easy. Great for mountain topping. 'Saves the day' when the soil is so hard it's next to impossible to drive a big stake for an antenna pole. I use three 5 lb. ankle weights on the tripod legs and the counterpoise kit, and it hasn't blown over yet even in a stiff breeze. I like the mil-stick better than telescoping verticals.
With the counterpoise kit, I can tune 80-10M with the exception of 17M with my rig's built-in tuner.
Heck, I even use it when I could drive a stake and erect a pole for my G5RV jr dipole, because it's so easy to set up.
I've worked Eastern Europe, the Middle East, and Northern Africa on 20 thru 10 from eastern PA when the bands are open. Not bad for a 13' vertical radiator on a 6 1/2' mast.
Great value for the money when compared to other portable antenna options such as the 'stick' dipoles and others. No need to get out of the chair and fuss with coils to QSY between bands.
Yes, it won't pick up very weak stations as well as a portable wire antenna. But, 'if you can hear them, you can work them' with 100W.
Satisfied customer of a Made in the USA product.

W4RAA Rating: 5/5 Jun 15, 2015 00:39 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had been looking for a portable antenna system to use for field day and to take with me when I travel. I purchased the 6-80 meter vertical system along with the counterpoise and NVIS.
The other day in preparation for field day I setup my equipment out in the yard under FD operating conditions. The bands have not been in the greatest condition lately and I wasn't expecting too much. I had the complete vertical system setup to include the counterpoise and NVIS.
To my surprise I made multiple QSOs on 17 and 20 meters to Italy, Puerto Rico, Arkansas, Texas, Netherlands and Mexico running 35 to 55 watts. I was no less then S5 all the up to S10+5 on their end and I had no problem at all on the my end hearing them. This is one great portable antenna system. I can't wait for Field Day to give it a workout.

WA5MS Rating: 5/5 Feb 18, 2015 05:13 Send this review to a friend
Superior  Time owned: more than 12 months
I live in CCR neighborhood and have to be "stealth". I have had great success with this antenna. Was able to obtain DXCC (actually 141 ciubtries confirmed), as well as, WAS Triple Play. Customer service is excellent. Almost immedeate response to emails. I would highly recommend and would purchase again.

KJ4PV Rating: 5/5 Oct 27, 2014 12:40 Send this review to a friend
Good bang for the buck!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have just re-entered the hobby after a 10 year hiatus. I'm also antenna restricted. I shopped a round, reading reviews, and settled on this antenna. I'm glad I did. Sets up quickly. Breaks down quickly. I leave it up in the back yard until the lawn mower guys come. Then take down and put back up in 15 minutes. I am using the counterpoise kit. Worked the DXCC contest this weekend and made many contacts. For what it is, it's a great little antenna.

KF5SMS Rating: 5/5 Oct 10, 2014 09:14 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Field Antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I took this antenna out for the first time this last week, and boy was I surprised! Setup was extremely fast and intuitive, and getting up and running was a breeze. The bands seemed to just open up, and for a few hours, I was able to log several very long range contacts. When it came time to tear down, it took less than 5 minutes, which was incredible.