Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | DIFONA HF P 1 Help

Reviews Summary for DIFONA HF P 1
DIFONA HF P 1 Reviews: 3 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $Euro 109
Description: HF portable antenna, full range
More info: http://www.difona.de

You can write your own review of the DIFONA HF P 1.

F4GFT Rating: 4/5 Jul 25, 2016 09:07 Send this review to a friend
Actually quite good  Time owned: 6 to 12 months

The Difona HF P1 looks like a rebuild of SuperAntenna's MP1, only with metric threads - most of what has been written in the MP1's review section also applies to the Difona model.

I bought the complete kit, including tripod, 80m coil, and the traveling bag. I am able to fit the entire antenna plus my FT-817, CW paddle and 8m of RG58 into the bag, which makes for a convenient go-bag. Only the battery charger goes elsewhere.

The antenna works quite well on 10, 12, 15 and 20m, and I usually obtain a perfect match within 2 or 3 attempts. SWR adjustment is done by shifting a cylinder over a coil, thereby shortening part of the coil and reducing the inductivity. It took me some getting used to, but now I use a template on a piece of card-board and am really quick in adjusting the antenna. I consider this method superior to carrying an antenna tuner with me.

There are two methods to mount the antenna. Most of the time I use the tripod, it's just convenient. I did use the clamp once when my hotel had an iron balcony guardrail. The tripod is usually the fastest method, but as others have said, in heavy wind the antenne risks to fall down if the tripod is not fixed with rocks or something else with substantial weight. I will consider building a guy kit if I ever do SOTA.

My success with 30m and 40m is not that good. A dipol outperformed the antenna on these bands, in particular on 40m. I think I should put a small lightweight dipole in the go bag. I never tried 80m, I don't want to waste my time.

I was able to tune to 6m once, but I had to reduce the antenne length. According to the manual shortening the coil entirely should do the job. I think with more practice I'll figure it out.

For the price paid, I am very happy with the antenna. There are better alternatives (Buddypole comes to mind), but these cost 4x what I paid for this antenna, and I am not willing to spend that much on a /p antenna. I will compare it to an end-fed one day to conclude on the matter. I recommend the antenna: you can see pictures of the antenna in action on my website (accessible via qrz.com)

F4FGB Rating: 4/5 May 27, 2014 04:56 Send this review to a friend
Pas mal  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Bonjour je l'utilise depuis un an en sortie portable, très pratique a mettre en place, a régler et a transporter, il y a un petit temps d'adaptation pour les réglages mais après elle se règle tip top 1.1 ros du 80m au 70cm,je l'utilise sur un petit trépieds de 1m de haut avec les radians légèrement tendu et posé au sol, le rendement est a peu prés celui de 1/4 d'onde du 20m au 6m, ensuite sur le 30m elle a encore un bon comportement, a partir du 40m on est bien en dessous du rendement d'un 1/4 L mais les signaux sont fort sur le 40 sur l’Europe donc c'est pas vraiment un souci, sur le 80m rendement tres médiocre ce qui est normal pour la teille de l'antenne ca mériterai des radians supplémentaires et plus long pour tenter de gagner quelques dixiemme de db....
Dans l'ensemble elle rempli bien sa mission d'antenne portable vite mise en oeuvre du bonheur a l'usage pas de boite de couplage a se trimbaler, elle que des avantages!!
pour le prix rien a redir!!
73s

DK3HV Rating: 5/5 Mar 21, 2012 12:14 Send this review to a friend
The HF-P1 with tripod is a perfect choice for portable use  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I found the HF-P1 at the DIFONA website a few weeks ago. After reading the description I decided to order an antenna for portable usage. In the meantime I used the antenna for portable HF operation. The antenna is perfect for travelling with a size of only 30cm it fits perfectly in a suitcase, but performs very well on HF from 80m up to 10m.
With the HF-P1 I could have many nice QSOs to different continents. The antenna works perfect on 40m- 10m. An 80m coils comes with the antenna and enables operation on 80m. To improve the performance on 80m additional radials should be used.
All threads of the antenna are metric, so the antenna offers a lot of potential for further experiments. In the meantime DIFONA offers an optional tripod for the HF-P1 which enables the use of the antenna almost everywhere.

The HF-P1 with tripod is a perfect choice for portable operation!