Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Yaesu FT-221 (original version) Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-221 (original version)
Yaesu FT-221 (original version) Reviews: 5 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $300
Description: 2m all mode base transceiver
More info: http://www.qsl.net/sm7vhs/radio/yaesu/ft221r/ft221r.htm

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-221 (original version).

AB5NX Rating: 4/5 Jul 26, 2010 15:48 Send this review to a friend
what do you want for a 40 year old radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just did a trade for a FT-221.Had a cb mic and I could not put up with that,found a Yaesu microphone on the ebay and I love the old girl.The case needed repainting but it functions just like new.Have made some contacts with good reports.I have always had a soft spot for old Yaesu radios and this one has earned a place on my bench.I have less than 40.00 in it.

VA3SAX Rating: 4/5 Sep 23, 2006 07:25 Send this review to a friend
good for a little while  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Since my club does a lot of upper band weak signal work I picked up one of these at a fleamarket for what I think was a decent price. Though it seemed that the SSB modes on it were completely non functional. It performed well on CW despite cross polarization issues(was using a vertical)

Of late it hasn't been doing much for me...one day I switched it on and low and behold it didn't do anything for me. I've done some multimeter checks and nothing seems to work the power seems to be running through the device but there is 0 operation

one quirk that I'd note on is that I found the receive Audio doesn't work without having a plug in the tone pad jack

KB0NLY Rating: 5/5 Jul 30, 2002 03:36 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Bought mine used and found an YC-221 digital display for it as well. After some alignment work the receiver started jumping like it should. Has been a good performer for local SSB work, hope to get a better antenna setup and an amplifier to try my luck at longer distance. Easy to work on modular construction, wish all radios had that.

GW4RWR Rating: 4/5 May 4, 2002 17:09 Send this review to a friend
Old 1970s workhorse  Time owned: more than 12 months
I can't adequately describe how thrilled I was when my parents gave me one of these. I was newly licenced, aged fifteen. I can't forget discovering the magic of amateur radio during the summer of 1982; the surprise that that 2m SSB can reach reach each end of Britain, when connected through some RG58 to an 8 el yagi.

Little did I know in those early days that my set produced 18W on FM, but only 9W going on 6W when on SSB. Tx audio was poor, but I hadn't the ability to align it. Even I realised that the set was perhaps 10dB less sensitive than the average set. A preamp brought the S meter to life for the first time, but my first hill top operating took the receiver apart. You put up with a lot when you're ignorant, and having fun!

I eventually sold it in 1985, when replaced by FT707/FTV707, but the received audio quality of this hf set was shameful by comparison. Narrower if filtering.

G1DQX Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2001 04:03 Send this review to a friend
Basic  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well great in its day, though still pretty good now, compared to "modern" rigs the 221 is a little basic, though the lack of digital display and the noise they create is a positive bonus for those working weak signals. I've had mine for over 15 years, second hand from an expert (he had 221,221rd and 225) and though its not been fitted with the enhanced Mutec front end in other than contest conditions its fine, in contests however its selectivity with strong signals close by can be a little lacking. There are several mods possible, Mutec Rx (or reconfigure and use a 3sk88), and variable Tx power (fixed at 10 from factory, can make 18 if pushed, nice to turn down to 3 for portable contests). On the portable side the rig can be mains powered or 12 DC, and I have the moblie mount for use in car (I have used it but its not really suitable!).