Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | LDG AT-1000 Pro II Help

Reviews Summary for LDG AT-1000 Pro II
LDG AT-1000 Pro II Reviews: 45 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $539.00
Description: Building on the success of the AT-1000Pro, LDG Electronics has refined and
expanded its flagship 1KW tuner. The new AT-1000ProII keeps many of the
same features of the previous model, but simplifies the operation. With the
two position antenna switch there are 2,000 memories that store tuning
parameters for almost instantaneous memory recall whenever you transmit on
or near a frequency you’ve used before. Just key and it tunes! The AT-
1000ProII will operate at any power level between 5 and 1,000 watts peak RF
input.

The AT-1000ProII has a large, easy to read bargraph with two selectable scale
ranges (100 and 1,000 watts) as well as SWR meter. The AT-1000ProII will
interface with many popular transceivers, enabling their TUNE button to
control the AT-1000ProII’s operation. Dedicated control buttons allow you to
fine-tune capacitance and inductance on those rare occasions when the AT-
1000ProII can’t find a perfect match by itself.

The AT-1000ProII will tune from 1.8 to 54.0 MHz continuously, and will
match an amazing range of antennas, from Yagis and dipoles to inverted-Vs
and slopers; virtually any coax-fed antenna from 6 to 1000 ohms impedance
(16 – 150 ohms on 6 meters). Tuning time is usually under 10 seconds. If
you’re transmitting near a frequency with stored tuning parameters, it will set
those parameters in under 0.2 seconds. Longwires or antennas fed with
ladder line require an external balun.
More info: http://www.ldgelectronics.com/c/252/products/17/67/1

You can write your own review of the LDG AT-1000 Pro II.

AK9S Rating: 5/5 Aug 9, 2017 12:13 Send this review to a friend
Very Pleased  Time owned: more than 12 months
Highly recommended...

PROS
- economically priced
- small footprint (not too tall)
- remembers previously tuned frequencies
- faster to tune from memory than a Palstar HF-AUTO
- second to none customer support

CONS
- will not always tune to lowest SWR, but close

I used mine for 2.5 years and accidentally ran a 600W dead carrier into the tuner on 160M during a QSO. The electronics failed in the tuner, but in doing so, it still kept a flat match to protect my amplifier.

After sending it for repair and knowing most LDG repairs do not exceed $50, I was pleasantly surprised LDG sent me a brand new one in a sealed box. Their Technician wrote "unit unrepairable" on the zero dollar invoice.

The warranty had expired several months prior. Do I need to say more about this exceptional Company?

KE8GPN Rating: 2/5 Jul 1, 2017 13:30 Send this review to a friend
Would not tune 6 meters  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The LDG AT-1000 Pro II failed to tune an SWR just below 3.1 on 6 meters. Two separate units were tried. They were able to tune a high SWR on 80 and 160 meters with no issue.

Both LDG units were returned and a Palstar AT2KD tuner was purchased. The Palstar had no problem tuning to 1:1.

WW8X Rating: 4/5 Feb 19, 2017 12:21 Send this review to a friend
A Learning curve – but is works  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The change from using a Drake MN-2000 to the AT-Pro II was a learning curve. Without the four-part series of helpful videos posted on Youtube.com, I’d probably be still struggling to figure this thing out. So far the unit performs as it was designed. The AT-Pro II tunes my multi-ban, end-fed wire and multi-band trapped vertical quite easily. And yes, it recalls the frequencies it has already tuned on each antenna very quickly with a button push – amazingly cool.

When using amplifier power you need to use Semi-auto mode vs. Automatic mode to insure the tuner doesn’t begin an auto tuning cycle in high power. It’s important to keep the amplifier in 'stand-by' until all tuning in low power is complete. The optional ICOM interface cable allows my icom and tuner to work together – very handy. As others have said the optional analog meter is great and you should purchase it as well!

On the negative side, the owners ‘manual’ is disappointing, being nothing more than some single color printed sheets stapled together and not really user-friendly (You'll need to watch the Youtube videos if you’ve never used on of these devices). I also wish the AT-1000 Pro II had an extra antenna port to connect a dummy load to allow peaking the amplifier off air.

KD4AVP Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2017 22:59 Send this review to a friend
Great tuner!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my second LDG. Had the AT11-MP some years back with my FT847. Was impressed with that tuner then. Moved on to a different HF rig and various wire antennas. The internal tuner on the FT920 I am using now sometimes just struggled with my end fed wire. Used a manual external tuner with no problems in loading. Now added the amp...and I am tired of turning knobs to tune. Guess I am getting lazy in my later years. The 1000 ProII just flat out works like a dream. Loads the end fed anywhere...even on 160. Kick in the amp and it just adjusts so fast you would not even notice it if not for the latching relays doing their thing. Easy to use right out of the box. Took me longer to hook it up than it did to learn to use it. Works almost identical to the older LDG previously used. Well built...and has a nice clean professional look to it. I am very satisfied with my purchase. Will add the external watt meter at some point.

KK6YO Rating: 5/5 Dec 11, 2016 22:58 Send this review to a friend
LDGTM 1000PRO Tuning / Quality issues  Time owned: more than 12 months
I read some of the reviews asking what all the buttons do. I had the same question when I first bought My 600PRO. After reading the manual I still was not sure what they did and how they worked. Honestly, it took some time and experimenting around before it dawned on me that mostly everything made seance after playing with the tuner. I have my IC-300 hooked up to the 1000 after using the 600 for about 1 and 1/2 years. anyway, both tuners are setup the same. 4 of the buttons on the tuner just adds and subtracts capacitance and inductance. This can be done by putting the radio in cw - meter in cw - and pressing the key at around 25 to 40 watts. If you have a slightly elevated vswr you simply press one of the 4 buttons up or down to get a close to perfect match. ( this is done after you went through the normal tuning process),. I know this is kinda wordy but at the end of the day if all your antenna cables are connected tight both on the amp - radio - tuners you should get a good match every time. Just make sure you are tuning the antenna with out the amp on as a high vswr on high power can damage most tuners.

Jerry - KK6YO

KK6YO Rating: 5/5 Dec 10, 2016 18:49 Send this review to a friend
High Quality Tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
Straight up. This tuner works great. I have just upgraded to the 1000 PRO II last week from a LDG 600 Pro. I have been using this tuner (600) for the last year and had no issues in quality and workmanship. Before I purchased this tuner from HRO, I contacted LDG regarding a cable question and was pleasantly surprised of how I was treated over a 19 dollar cable. This company will go out of their way to help you no matter how small the issue is. As far as the product is concerned, It works like a champ. The quality controll is fantastic. And switching out the 600 to the 1000 PRO II was very easy, I have used this tuner by running a coax to a 1.1 BALUN through 300 ohm tv twin lead 25 feet into a inverted v 45 feet per leg out of a fiberglass flag pole with fantastic results. This tuner is something that all ham radio operators should have in their shack where a tuner is needed, I think most importantly, customer service is their key to success. Great Company and Great product. Remember to read the manual if you are a first timer with this and any product you buy and do your research on anything you buy first,
Thank you LDG not only for a great product but great service as well.
73 - KK6YO

N4ALT Rating: 0/5 Nov 25, 2016 07:25 Send this review to a friend
garbage  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had nothing but problems with this tuner!!!Do yourself a favor and buy something else!! I have other ldg tuners which work perfectly but this one is junk.Im going to send it back to them I could never get it to work right ever.Im sorry i wasted my money on it.Buyer be ware!!! over complicated garbage!!!

N5ATM Rating: 3/5 Nov 18, 2016 06:23 Send this review to a friend
Meh...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I agree with the previous poster. This tuner seems kind of fragile and the user interface needs work.

I purchased my first one used. At first everything seemed fine but then it would start a tuning cycle all by itself, after already being tuned. I thought this very odd and couldn't explain it. After using the tuner for about two weeks, and then only lightly it failed on me. One day after a tuning cycle, I smelled something burning in the shack! Sure enough, it was the LDG....smoke rising.

I unhooked it and took a look inside. It had burned traces and a couple of the relays looked burned. I sent it back to LDG with an explanation of my rig and antenna setup along with the issues at the time of the failure.

They told me that the board was fried and could not be repaired. They said that it was obvious that it had been tuned up using high power with an amp. The problem with this "assessment" is, I don't own an amp. Also, since the tuner was new to me, I always took care to follow the tuneup instructions carefully.

I didn't argue with them, as I didn't see the point and since I purchased it second hand it wasn't under warranty. they offered me a pretty good deal to purchase a new one which I did.

While I was waiting for the replacement to arrive, I discovered that the internal tuner on my flex 6500 would tune my 160-10 dipole from trueladderline.com just fine, except for 160m, so I really didn't need the tuner after all.

Strangely enough, the burned tuner never would tune the antenna on 160m and when the replacement arrived, neither would it. Brian at trueladderline.com said that several of his customers had similar issues with LDG tuners.

I decided it wasn't the tuner for me and have since sold it.

Overall it's not a bad tuner, but I wouldn't call it "robust" and it certainly won't tune everything like some tuners. It is very loud and I think the interface could use some work. Rates only a 3 from me.

N0NA Rating: 3/5 Sep 1, 2016 11:11 Send this review to a friend
Not Really an 'Automatic' Tuner  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This tuner seems to be a bit fragile. I had to return mine for repair. It took six weeks including transport in both directions and was returned to me with the message, "Unit is damaged beyond repair. Technician advises user to be careful to operate this unit within the specifications listed in the manual." That's odd because I only tuned it up once using no more than 25 watts of power and the next time I used it, it failed to tune. I never abused the tuner in any way. To LDG's credit, they shipped me a replacement under warranty. By the way, phone support is no longer available in spite of what the User's Manual says.

The design of the tuner's user interface is poor. You need to refer to the User's Manual constantly as it's difficult to memorize all of the arbitrary displays of light patterns the device uses to tell you what mode it's in, what the error code means, etc. Front panel buttons can each serve multiple purposes depending on whether the Function button was first pressed, how long you press a button (less than 0.5 seconds, 0.5 to 2.5 seconds, or more than 2.5 seconds (or continuously!)), etc. It's hard to memorize such a cumbersome set of user interface procedures. It would have been so much better if the tuner included an alpha-numeric display and some extra buttons to make it easier to figure out the operation of the tuner. But, that would probably increase the cost of the tuner a bit.

The User's Manual could be better. The Specifications page doesn't even list the maximum (or minimum) tuning power. Searching several different pages of the manual shows that 25 watts is the maximum tuning power if your radio has no SWR roll-back circuit and 150 watts is the limit otherwise. But, the limit is 100 watts under high SWR conditions of more than 3:1. But, a footnote states that "Tuning may be performed at up to 125 watts..." Got that?

LDG does not recommend using the tuner in its fully automatic mode, which is ironic because the AT-1000 Pro II is called a "1000w Automatic Antenna Tuner." The danger is that the tuner's relays can be damage if tuning is attempted while transmitting at high power, so you can't let the tuner auto-tune. How much power is high power? The User's Manual doesn't say directly but presumably 100 watts or more would require operating the tuner in semi-automatic mode so as to prevent damage to the relays. The tuner has some built-in safeguards that are supposed to prevent the tuner from tuning under certain conditions and damaging the relays. It won't tune if you use more than 150 watts of power nor will it tune with 100 watts and a high SWR. However, the User's Manual states that those safeguards aren't fool-proof. For SSB operation and fully automatic tuner operation, the first voice syllable might look like low power (under 150 watts) and cause the tuner to start tuning only to have the next voice syllable come through at a much higher power and damage the relays during the tuning cycle. The bottom line: Don't use the fully automatic mode unless you are running really low power.

It looks like a safe procedure for anyone running 100 watts or more would be to use the semi-automatic mode (so tuner doesn't try to automatically re-tune while you are transmitting), reduce power to less than 100 watts (25 watts with no roll-back circuit), do a manual tune, and then return the transmitter to high power. That should probably be done every time you change frequencies (at least check the SWR every time and manually retune if necessary).

N4SJW Rating: 3/5 Aug 1, 2016 20:56 Send this review to a friend
Fell a bit below expectations  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Most of my criticisms for the AT-1000 ProII is
1. it's very noisy and clacks away and my wife upstairs complains
2. it doesn't seem to hold memory very well
3. it doesn't have the same range of the ICOM AH-4 and I'm sometimes at the edge with a minute or so of auto tuning. The AH-4 covers 160 to 6M in 3-5 seconds (and I have an 80-10 inverted V with 600 ohm ladder line into a 4:1 balun)
4. I have the big meter and the DIN plug is very flimsy (soldered to the board not attached to the back panel) so if I move the tuner/meter on the desk I have to wiggle the wire to get the meter working again

I have an ACOM 1010 amplifier so the AH-4 doesn't cover the added power.