Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | LDG AT-1000 Pro II Help

Reviews Summary for LDG AT-1000 Pro II
LDG AT-1000 Pro II Reviews: 37 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $539.00
Description: Building on the success of the AT-1000Pro, LDG Electronics has refined and
expanded its flagship 1KW tuner. The new AT-1000ProII keeps many of the
same features of the previous model, but simplifies the operation. With the
two position antenna switch there are 2,000 memories that store tuning
parameters for almost instantaneous memory recall whenever you transmit on
or near a frequency you’ve used before. Just key and it tunes! The AT-
1000ProII will operate at any power level between 5 and 1,000 watts peak RF
input.

The AT-1000ProII has a large, easy to read bargraph with two selectable scale
ranges (100 and 1,000 watts) as well as SWR meter. The AT-1000ProII will
interface with many popular transceivers, enabling their TUNE button to
control the AT-1000ProII’s operation. Dedicated control buttons allow you to
fine-tune capacitance and inductance on those rare occasions when the AT-
1000ProII can’t find a perfect match by itself.

The AT-1000ProII will tune from 1.8 to 54.0 MHz continuously, and will
match an amazing range of antennas, from Yagis and dipoles to inverted-Vs
and slopers; virtually any coax-fed antenna from 6 to 1000 ohms impedance
(16 – 150 ohms on 6 meters). Tuning time is usually under 10 seconds. If
you’re transmitting near a frequency with stored tuning parameters, it will set
those parameters in under 0.2 seconds. Longwires or antennas fed with
ladder line require an external balun.
More info: http://www.ldgelectronics.com/c/252/products/17/67/1

You can write your own review of the LDG AT-1000 Pro II.

N0NA Rating: 3/5 Sep 1, 2016 11:11 Send this review to a friend
Not Really an 'Automatic' Tuner  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This tuner seems to be a bit fragile. I had to return mine for repair. It took six weeks including transport in both directions and was returned to me with the message, "Unit is damaged beyond repair. Technician advises user to be careful to operate this unit within the specifications listed in the manual." That's odd because I only tuned it up once using no more than 25 watts of power and the next time I used it, it failed to tune. I never abused the tuner in any way. To LDG's credit, they shipped me a replacement under warranty. By the way, phone support is no longer available in spite of what the User's Manual says.

The design of the tuner's user interface is poor. You need to refer to the User's Manual constantly as it's difficult to memorize all of the arbitrary displays of light patterns the device uses to tell you what mode it's in, what the error code means, etc. Front panel buttons can each serve multiple purposes depending on whether the Function button was first pressed, how long you press a button (less than 0.5 seconds, 0.5 to 2.5 seconds, or more than 2.5 seconds (or continuously!)), etc. It's hard to memorize such a cumbersome set of user interface procedures. It would have been so much better if the tuner included an alpha-numeric display and some extra buttons to make it easier to figure out the operation of the tuner. But, that would probably increase the cost of the tuner a bit.

The User's Manual could be better. The Specifications page doesn't even list the maximum (or minimum) tuning power. Searching several different pages of the manual shows that 25 watts is the maximum tuning power if your radio has no SWR roll-back circuit and 150 watts is the limit otherwise. But, the limit is 100 watts under high SWR conditions of more than 3:1. But, a footnote states that "Tuning may be performed at up to 125 watts..." Got that?

LDG does not recommend using the tuner in its fully automatic mode, which is ironic because the AT-1000 Pro II is called a "1000w Automatic Antenna Tuner." The danger is that the tuner's relays can be damage if tuning is attempted while transmitting at high power, so you can't let the tuner auto-tune. How much power is high power? The User's Manual doesn't say directly but presumably 100 watts or more would require operating the tuner in semi-automatic mode so as to prevent damage to the relays. The tuner has some built-in safeguards that are supposed to prevent the tuner from tuning under certain conditions and damaging the relays. It won't tune if you use more than 150 watts of power nor will it tune with 100 watts and a high SWR. However, the User's Manual states that those safeguards aren't fool-proof. For SSB operation and fully automatic tuner operation, the first voice syllable might look like low power (under 150 watts) and cause the tuner to start tuning only to have the next voice syllable come through at a much higher power and damage the relays during the tuning cycle. The bottom line: Don't use the fully automatic mode unless you are running really low power.

It looks like a safe procedure for anyone running 100 watts or more would be to use the semi-automatic mode (so tuner doesn't try to automatically re-tune while you are transmitting), reduce power to less than 100 watts (25 watts with no roll-back circuit), do a manual tune, and then return the transmitter to high power. That should probably be done every time you change frequencies (at least check the SWR every time and manually retune if necessary).

N4SJW Rating: 3/5 Aug 1, 2016 20:56 Send this review to a friend
Fell a bit below expectations  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Most of my criticisms for the AT-1000 ProII is
1. it's very noisy and clacks away and my wife upstairs complains
2. it doesn't seem to hold memory very well
3. it doesn't have the same range of the ICOM AH-4 and I'm sometimes at the edge with a minute or so of auto tuning. The AH-4 covers 160 to 6M in 3-5 seconds (and I have an 80-10 inverted V with 600 ohm ladder line into a 4:1 balun)
4. I have the big meter and the DIN plug is very flimsy (soldered to the board not attached to the back panel) so if I move the tuner/meter on the desk I have to wiggle the wire to get the meter working again

I have an ACOM 1010 amplifier so the AH-4 doesn't cover the added power.

AB6ME Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2016 17:40 Send this review to a friend
Great auto tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this tuner when my MFJ998 tuner quit working after 5 months, but that's another story (see my review of MFJ998). I purchased this with the analog meter which I recommend anyone that buys this tuner should do. The combination works great and I am extremely happy with the LDG AT-1000 Pro II tuner. It works perfectly with my 811H amplifier and IC7410 transceiver. My only regret is that I didn't buy this before the MFJ998. Would have saved me $700.

K4QET Rating: 2/5 Jun 13, 2016 10:24 Send this review to a friend
Rather use a manual  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have no idea of what all those buttons do; sometimes it seems to work and other times not, I have little control over this $400 thing. This is by no means automatic, it does all sorts of things you don't want it to do or don't know what it is doing.

I prefer a manual tuner; duh, you tune to the right setting, no mystery.

K5HSV Rating: 5/5 Aug 10, 2015 20:08 Send this review to a friend
Does What It's Supposed to Do!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Okay... I purchased this little gem to use with my Kenwood, TS-480HX. This is my vacation, camping and light weight tuner that I carry along when camping or traveling on the road. First of all, it does what it say it will do. I've have no complaints other than I wish it had a digital display other than LED lights. If that's the only ding, I'm already over it. I've owned this tuner for a little over one year. I do admit that I only use it when out camping or with recreational use, I love this little box. I have used it tuning our of an Ameritron, AL-572 along with my Power Master watt meter, registering 1,200K during tunes. However, I highly advise against it for the sake of the tuner. No smoke... Perfect 1:1 SWR after the tune. I just wanted to see what this little box would handle. It took the punch flawlessly! LDG has a winner her in my opinion. The AT-1000 PRO II does the job! So if you're looking for something small, light and dependable, get one of these. You won't be sorry. Very simple operation and priced very well.

KA1ILH Rating: 5/5 Jun 1, 2015 07:03 Send this review to a friend
Power limits  Time owned: more than 12 months
If there was a 4.9 I would give it that. The tuner is a great tuner but has power limits especially on RTTY. I actually burned mine up because it switched to tune while in RTTY.
It works great but do not put a remote multi antenna switch on its ports. When it memorizes the setting for one frequency and you switch to another antenna on the remote switch it gets really confused and takes forever to tune.
But for folks running 600-800 watts this is a great buy.
Service is fantastic.. sent me the inductor/ferrite free and the repairs fixed it FB.

KA2UUP Rating: 5/5 May 24, 2015 09:24 Send this review to a friend
Works great with Icom IC-746  Time owned: more than 12 months
Almost 2 years and it works very well. It has brought down the workload considerably. No more knob turning.

VA3ITB Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2015 20:00 Send this review to a friend
Great Tuner  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I recently received a LDG 1000 proII from a friends estate. When I brought the tuner home I heard something rattling inside. I opened it up and found a few burnt components. I first contacted LDG and sent pictures. I was told it looked beyond repair. Looking deeper into it I realized I could repair it. I sent LDG an email with the part numbers and description of the parts. I called them and they say they had the parts available and they would just send them to me. The tuner was out of warranty and they sent them to me free of charge to Canada.I installed them and had to do a trace repair. The tuners works amazingly. Little learning curve but after it learns the band it tunes in no time.I have it hooked up to a ft-2000 /Yaesu quatra 1200 watts with a dipole on 80 .Love this unit, great customer service. I have also owned there 100 watt models and also works like a charm. The Question remaining,I know is what happened to the LDG-1000 proII for it to originally blow up. I believe it was not a fault of the tuner but rather operating under failing health issues. By the way Thanks LDG for all your help.

W2NER Rating: 5/5 Apr 21, 2015 14:25 Send this review to a friend
Best tuner I ever had!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had many tuners both manual and auto tuners, from MFJ to Palstar. This is by far the best I have had bar none. I have been able to tune any antenna I put on it with no problems at all. I have their IT-100 as well, same results. Do yourself a favor, get one!!

KD2BMX Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2015 07:25 Send this review to a friend
Good Results 2 Years and Counting  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned the LDG AT-1000 ProII for over 2 years and it has worked flawlessly. I use it with a G5RV 10M to 80M Wire Antenna and it tunes the SWR to 1:1 on all bands.
The memory tune feature is a real time saver when switching bands.
I also purchased the LDG M-1000 Analog Meter to use in conjunction with the tuner and am happy with its performance also. This allows me to set the meter on the LDG tuner on the Average setting and the M-1000 on Peak setting.
The LDG techs are also very helpful in answering any operating questions you may have.