Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Sirio Starduster M-400 Help

Reviews Summary for Sirio Starduster M-400
Sirio Starduster M-400 Reviews: 5 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $$78 via Ebay
Description: Base station antenna
-Unity-gain, Omnidirectional
-Low radiation angle for excellent DX
-High power handling capability
-Made of aluminium alloy 6063 T-832
-Tunable by whips length adjusting

More info: http://www.sirioantenne.it/prodotti_ant.php?category=CB+27+MHz+Base+Antenna&antenna=STARDUSTER+M-400&idc=1008171241&idg=1008171169&idp=1175790931

You can write your own review of the Sirio Starduster M-400.

AD6DX Rating: 2/5 Oct 14, 2017 16:38 Send this review to a friend
Basic Center Fed Vertical Dipole  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Just a dipole.

1/4 wave up, 1/4 wave down.

Don't use NON-metallic supporting mast and a CMC choke and you might get to enjoy a whole bunch of that wonderful RFI everyone loves so much in the shack, depending largely upon the length of the coax (casing) and whether or not the casing is grounded before entering the shack.

Nor was I impressed with the build quality.

I had mine up for about 3 months until I found energy to swap it out for an 11m 5/8 I ordered and shortened about 13" (5%) for 10M,
- THEN performance began.

The 5/8 was an average of 1.5-2 'S' units better on the IC-756 Pro3, mostly due (I expect) to the difference in angle of radiation, since I doubt 21' of tubing has 10-12dB raw gain over 17' of tubing, near field.

Gave my m400 away. I do not recommend, especially when there's Zero5, Hy-gain, Shockwave, A1 Antennas and others offering full 5/8 for 10M or 11M.

YMMV.

WA8MEA Rating: 5/5 Jul 12, 2015 06:59 Send this review to a friend
Long lasting performance!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've always used verticals on 10 meters. I bought one of these when they first came out. Easy to construct. I have it on a tripod on my roof. This has been up for maybe a decade now. I changed the coax out a couple of years ago. Still use it with my RS HTX-10. I work the world without a problem. Low SWR and VERY broad-banded.

KB0UXV Rating: 5/5 Oct 23, 2014 11:01 Send this review to a friend
Good vertical  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Like K6DIL, I have a 43 foot vertical (set up in a looped configuration to avoid burying wire) and was looking for something light and simple for 12 and 10 meters. I have a ground mounted mast but needed something with little wind load to avoid problems (not guyed). I came upon the US made Starduster clone, and read some negative reviews about the quality. I then found the Sirio version, and read several good reviews on it. I saw a few on Ebay and Amazon, but ended up finding a better deal with a US retailer at "www.rmitaly.us." Shipping was quick and install was easy. I would recommend installing the ground radials on the roof so they don't bend when hoisted. I installed mine on a ground mounted mast, which presents a problem since the coax runs inside the mast. Sirio makes a side mount for this antenna, part "FT-2 mixing bracket" but when using this the vertical is offset from the radials - so you would need two of the brackets. I ended up mounting direct, drilling a 1/2 inch hole in the mast a few feet below the antenna to get the coax out, then sealed the hole. It works well on 10 meters but does require tuning on 12. I did set the whip for the middle of 10 meter phone, if I moved it to 26 or 27mhz it may be OK without a tuner on 12 and 10.

KG4FMQ Rating: 5/5 Dec 13, 2013 18:54 Send this review to a friend
Very Good 1/4 Wave  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a very good antenna! This is a remake of the old style back in the 70's. I have had 2 different antennas by Sirio! They do make a good product! I wish I never sold this antenna, but I would buy it over again. The measurements are in metric, as with all their antennas, but that is no big deal. Sirio is a sound product, and I plan to try more of their antenna line! Again, I use to own this one, and am currently using one of their other antennas on 10M!

Try them out for yourself!

73's

K6DIL Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2012 11:52 Send this review to a friend
working as advertised  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a redo of an old CB antenna from the '70s. It has 4 rods that can be tuned over an octave from 26MHz to above 50Mhz. The military is said to use these for their VHF-Low sometimes.

I am using it for 10m, because my 43' vertical has weird lobes at that high a frequency.

Sirio builds nice stuff.