Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | KLM Multi 2700 Help

Reviews Summary for KLM Multi 2700
KLM Multi 2700 Reviews: 9 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: 2m all mode base transceiver with 10m receiver
(Web site missing—add URL)

You can write your own review of the KLM Multi 2700.

WA7ZBO Rating: 5/5 Dec 1, 2014 18:05 Send this review to a friend
Big Love  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one in 1976 new from a dealer here in Salt Lake City, Utah. I may be one of the only people that actively worked Oscar 10 on it. Hard to use that way since the 10 meter receiver is muted during 2 meter transmit. I outfitted it with an Electro-Voice 655 mic and was told it sounded just like a commercial broadcast station. With out having PL built in the rig is short of practical these days and with only 10 watts out it needs a good antenna.
The 2700 is very unique with digital frequency dial in and a true VFO. FM can be set to wide or narrow and the radio has many features not offered on modern rigs like VOX. In fact if you want a jamming radio this is it. Just forget and leave the mic laying on top the speaker in VOX mod. As soon as squelch is broke the radio starts transmitting/receiving at a very fast pace. This is sadly from a true incident.
All together it is good enough that I just bought another on Ebay and the 655c mike is waiting for its mate.

KC8QFP Rating: 4/5 Nov 6, 2014 08:01 Send this review to a friend
nice rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I had one about twenty years ago. I thought it was a pretty good analog rig. I wanted to get into 2m sideband and simplex, but couldn't seem to get away from the repeaters addiction back then. Then I got into packet, and just did not find much activity on 2m SSB. So I eventually horsetraded it away for who knows what. How many times did I regret getting rid of a good rig? This was one of them. I've thought about getting another, when they show up on ebay, they can be reasonable, I've seen them under 100$. I have an old Icom IC245, but I liked the KLM much better. When I get on 2m, it's pretty much dead around here, even on the repeaters. So I got back to HF. One thing I wish it had is a scan feature to monitor for activity. But I guess that's what a tuning knob is for, aye. Again, I did like the rig and regret getting rid of it. More of us need to CQ 2m and 6m and make some activity. 73, Don

N0HAN Rating: 3/5 Nov 5, 2014 16:33 Send this review to a friend
OK radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
first off this is actually two radio's in one case one for FM and one for SSB! The receiver performance on FM is fair but on SSB it is very attenuated how ever the addition of GAS FET front end really perks the old one up almost to decent levels! Almost every part is still currant in it! As for it's 10 mtr RX I never used it on either one I had.

KF6NFW Rating: 4/5 Dec 17, 2013 22:02 Send this review to a friend
Neat Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I picked up this rig last year from another ham. It is a little scratched and not in the greatest looking shape, but it isnt broke either. the LED's need to be replaced in the freq display as they have burnt out over the years. Checking the alignment of this rig against others shows that it is still within a close tolerance.
I have yet to work anyone on SSB, or through a bird on it, but look forward to getting it on the air soon!

VA3MLV Rating: 5/5 Aug 14, 2013 19:18 Send this review to a friend
Dedicated to VE9DEN  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well I was able to recieve a FDK Multi 2700 from a friend of mine in NewBrunswick Canada VE9DEN when I made my yearly summer trip to Dalhousie NewBrunswick August 20013, I was able to hook it up and play with it for a bit while I was there and it worked great. The TX audio sounded good coming thru my FT7800R in the mobile during on air tests, recieve worked great also. So it's packed up with a few other pieces of equipment that I will be playing around with once I get back home to Ontario Canada. Had to write a review on this rig for sure...... 73

N0TES Rating: 5/5 Oct 19, 2009 08:40 Send this review to a friend
Satellite for KLM stable  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
In 2002 AO-7 came back online and has been providing reliable communications by using its' solar panels for power. More information is available at http://www.amsat.org/amsat-new/satellites/satInfo.php?satID=9&retURL=/satellites/status.php. Because the satellite has show life and stability for so many years now, I decided to invest in my life long dream of owning this KLM rig. At first the rig had a hum in the audio when transmitting. It was because the mic had too much gain for the rig. After some easy tuning through the access panel on the top of the rig, while monitoring with my HT, I was soon transmitting a very clean signal. This was confirmed by several very experienced FM engineers who have been monitoring my progress. Last night was my first opportunity to see A0-7. The signal from the satellite was so strong that I thought I was hearing something local. In the days preceding my AO-7 experience I had made several contacts with distant repeaters that were over 100 miles away; showing me that this rig has more sensitivity to offer than I expected out of an older rig. What put it over the top has been my experience on CW & SSB, it is as sensitive as even some of the more modern equipment I have had exposure to. Lastly, it is VERY easy to use. The person I bought it from (actually a representative from a local ARRL club) told me that the rig is often sought after by the blind because of how easy it is for them to use. If you think that the 10 watts this rig offers isn't enough, you can pick-up a 2 meter amp, but unless you're trying to commnicate past the fringe, you won't need it. The antenna for receiving the 10 meter signal is an inverted V and the 2 meter antenna is a corner beam (http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/3516). If I find any thing bad to say about this rig, you will hear back from me, but so far, I am very satisfied, and wouldn't hesitate to spend $450 for a known working version of this rig...though I was luck enough to get one that needed a few simple adjustments for $170 with an amp.

VR2XMQ Rating: 4/5 Dec 28, 2007 22:31 Send this review to a friend
Nice vintage multimode  Time owned: more than 12 months
A nice vintage multimode transceiver that has seen better days. This is a radio that I still put into daily use but it did see better days in it's heyday and was probably top of the class when first introduced.

It has a stange feature, it incorporates a 10M oscar satellite converter which could be used to recevied the Russian 10M satellites, but would be of little use today.

It is out classed by many of the newer multimodes on 2M, but still earns an honorable mention to this day. Marketed Stateside under KLM label but originally from FDK Multi stables in Japan.

A nice radio to use but nothing fancy.

KC2MRU Rating: 4/5 Sep 16, 2005 21:25 Send this review to a friend
Nice All-Mode radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought my KLM Multi-2700 all-mode almost a year ago now . These radios have FM/N , FM/W , USB , LSB , CW and AM modes in them . I've used it for contesting,local Sideband work and on the local repeaters . This rig has really good receive and transmit as well as great audio and that's with using it's 600ohm stock mic that came with it . These are an older model and do not have the PL Tone encoders in them for repeaters with tones , but those can be bought and added very easily . Not everybody can find a good one,but I think I was lucky enough to have come across one that had good care in the past . I like mine alot and hope to get many more years out of it .

AK8I Rating: 4/5 Oct 4, 2000 22:27 Send this review to a friend
Multi mode 2mtrs w/10 mtr OSCAR rcvr.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Dependable rig with good if not spectacular results. Somewhat awkward when using Sat Rcvr as you have to interpolate frequency. Divided face allows manual digital readout on left(a-la TR7400), with VFO operation on right. Repeater offset on left side only.AM,fm, ssb,cw,and wide FM. Relay switched which makes for poor packet results. Covers 143 to 149MHZ w/o mods. No tone option. I still own mine from 1977, never had a problem. Worked SSB into Georgia on Meteor scatter with 10 watts---a real hoot! Mike gain controls accessable easily under small lid on top.....cw delay also. Fm Center meter. In those days, it was a great thing as it allowed one to net crystals for your friends.....rememeber those? Crystals, not friends...har. All in all, a great rig for me. Many pleasurable hours at home using BUILT IN a/c supply, and on boats using 12 VDC.