Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Moonraker GP2500F (fibre glass version) Help

Reviews Summary for Moonraker GP2500F (fibre glass version)
Moonraker GP2500F (fibre glass version) Reviews: 5 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $395.00 ( 250 GBP )
Description: Type: Gound plane antenna
Impedance: 50 Ohms
Base connection: SO239
Length: 7.13M
Weight: 3kg
More info: http://www.moonraker.eu/Amateur-Radio/Base-Vertical-Antennas/Moonraker-Vertical/HF-Vertical/GP2500F-ALL-BAND-80-6M-HF-VERTICAL-FIBREGLASS-VERSION

You can write your own review of the Moonraker GP2500F (fibre glass version).

M3SKF Rating: 4/5 Feb 12, 2013 10:05 Send this review to a friend
does the job  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Had this antenna up for quite some time now and i am very happy with it.The antenna is well made in construction and stands up to the english winter weather with ease.Performance wise the aerial gives a very good account of its self making me regular contacts into local europe and a few into north america.I have other aerials and this is by no standard a good dx antenna but it great for local europe and no tuner needed.

CR7000 Rating: 2/5 Feb 12, 2013 06:26 Send this review to a friend
Needs Help  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ok - At first this antenna seemed to work ok, and it did get me contacts around the world but.......

After some time the balun had filled with condenstion and ruined my coax, and the build quality really didnt stand up to long term use.

I did some research on this antenna, and the balun is very lossy indeed. In fact you can remove all the sections and still see 1:1 SWR on all bands, that says it all.

If you are thinking of buying one of these, please consider the option below.

I installed a simple 66ft longwire, end fed with a 9:1 balun and switched between the two antennas.

The difference is night and day, and i was so shocked with the massive improvement of the wire that it took the GP2500F down and took it to the tip - absolute rubbish.

Why have a massive vertical antenna that hardly works when you can put up a simple wire that will outperform it 10x over.

Way overhyped, Way overpriced, Way underperforming antenna

SA3AYF Rating: 3/5 Oct 3, 2012 06:11 Send this review to a friend
Works great - but build quality is no good as is the support  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Have had my antenna up for more than 6 months now and has made 1098 qsos on it. Mostly within Europe but also a good amount of DX towads africa, america, antarctica and the far east / pacific.

The antenna base transformer had to be totally rebuilt as the cable-insulation breached and the center-pin connection on the incoming SO-259 came loose. Also one strand of the wire was never soldered to the antenna output and had arced to the ground. The bottom part was also filled to the brim with water.

The "antenna conductor" in the lowest part (a flimsy brass tube) was full of cracks and had oxidised heavily only after 3 months of use and had to be replaced. I used a 2mm thick enameled solid copper wire for this.

I approached Moonraker about these problems but had no response what so ever ! Even tough the antenna is clearly still under warranty (it was 3-4 months old at the time). Absolutely no response.

Giving it a "3" based on the following:

-The antenna performance is a 5+, it does everything it says and moore
-The construction is ok for the price and gets a "3"
-The support and feedback from the manufacturer is absolutely zero, and gets a "0" rating.

Would I recommend the antenna ? Maybe. There are other manufacturers that may be better in construction and definately in support.

Would I buy another ? Yes, but not from Moonraker!

CR7000 Rating: 5/5 Apr 9, 2012 03:10 Send this review to a friend
Exactly what it says on the tin !  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This fibreglass version has to be one of the most well constructed antennas i have owned or seen, definatly built with quality.

I looked at many antenna options before deciding on this one, and it has performed well.
I use it from 160m through to 6m, and it has very good swr throughout.

I understand that a multiband antenna has losses, and i first used this with my M6 callsign, when i had only 10 watts available, it still brought me contacts around the world, so although it has losses in the matching unit, some of my RF has been well travelled.

Used with my Yaesu radios, FT-450D and FT-857D.

If your only antenna option is an all band vertical, then this one is worth a go.

I went for the fibreglass model for ease of maintenance, they also make an aluminium version, which is slightly cheaper.

Radcom reviewed the aluminium version, which makes an interesting read, and had good results.

Well worth it for me, so far so good !

SA3AYF Rating: 5/5 Apr 6, 2012 12:23 Send this review to a friend
Great no-fuzz vertical !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After reading an older review here on the old aluminium-made version, I was a bit sceptic.
But the price was right so I bought the fibre glass version of the antenna.

First, the building quality is great and gives a high quality feeling !
Assembly is more or less plug and play, since there are only the 4 parts to assemble, no adjusting what so ever !

On the air it performs better than my previous MV-10 antenna, but in all fairness, the MV-10 is a lot shorter.

I am also suprised how little static the antenna picks up, living in a big city the noisefloor is usually higher.
Receiving stations is a lot easier without the static :-)

So far I've in general received better reports than I have sent and the antenna performs very well indeed.

I will get back with another report after using it for 6 months, but the impression so far is that it is a well built, well performing antenna.

And at this price, its a bargain !

Cheers,