Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | ICOM IC-2300H Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-2300H
ICOM IC-2300H Reviews: 24 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $$260.00
Description: 2 meter transceiver

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-2300H.

K1WJ Rating: 4/5 Feb 17, 2016 08:41 Send this review to a friend
Good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Easy to program, QC seems very good. Audio level with mic gain on High - reports good. So far no issues, green display color looks good. Time will be a true test.

AA7EX Rating: 5/5 Sep 14, 2015 09:03 Send this review to a friend
$154.95 at GigaParts A+  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought one 2 weeks ago.. Set it up friday morning on my $50.00 diamond cp-22 antenna 1.0swr on mfj 259b @146.900 and I rag chewed all weekend. Simplex on high power extended periods and i could still put the back of my hand on the heatsink without getting burned... No problem...I was so impressed that I bought 2 more sunday night for my brother and my work truck.. I love everything about it but the top facing speaker but thats the only thing i could think of complainig about.. I was going to try the yaesu ft2900 but didnt like the common overheating mentions... My first vhf mobile was an icom 2100 so i stayed icom.. No regrets

WK3P Rating: 5/5 Sep 8, 2015 10:18 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I love the size of this radio.

I have owned IC-2100, IC-2200 and a few V-8000

Once you learn one, this one is easy to program.

I love that I can do everything with the microphone.

Radio gets great reports.

I have nothing bad to say about this radio.

VK3MJA Rating: 4/5 Aug 21, 2015 00:41 Send this review to a friend
Good rig  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Honestly I am not a big fun of Icom... and this is my FIRST Icom rig. I used this rig for my echolink and this rig can STAND 25W for 24/7 with a little help from the mini electric fan. This is my replacement of my Yaesu Ft-2900R, IC-2300H can dissipate heat better compare to Yaesu FT-2900R may be because with Icom it only requires 11 amps to fire it up while with Yaesu it requires 15 amps. For the time I have the IC-2300H I NEVER had a problem with it and it serves the purpose.
I will recommend this rig to anyone... simple and user friendly! Job well done Icom.

73...
VK3MJA

AD5KO Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2015 12:17 Send this review to a friend
Very nice.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I just installed a second 2300H in another vehicle. Due to the lack of cooling fan and the tight installation I was concerned about heat but the radio puts out full power into a quarter wave mag mount in the center of the roof and does not get hot. Its mounted below the dash and above the transmission tunnel, the radio touches the carpet. Initially I thought I would have to run it at 25 watts but that's not the case.

I already have the programming software for this model so purchasing a second seemed like the best option. I use RT systems software and cable, which works with windows 7 and 8.

I really like the large display and the size of this radio plus the audio is very good both TX and RX.

I recommend it to anyone who is looking for a good 2m mobile or a base because it has the attenuation option which can be useful for big base station antennas.

K3KRN Rating: 5/5 Aug 31, 2014 06:52 Send this review to a friend
solid radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
solid radio. highly recommend. i would also recommend the rt systems software to program the radio.

VE7REN Rating: 5/5 Aug 17, 2014 20:13 Send this review to a friend
excellent  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
replaced my trusty ic2200h with the 2300h.. very similiar.. just wanted the newer version.these radios are always excellent and perform very well.. the 2100,the 2200,and now the 2300.. cant think of any complaints.. very nice..

W0WSP Rating: 5/5 Aug 16, 2014 21:42 Send this review to a friend
Good Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I don't have any complaints, runs cool and programs like most ICOM radios. Good on the air reports. The Squelch attenuator is a great feature.

W5DOM Rating: 5/5 Apr 26, 2014 16:23 Send this review to a friend
Solid 2m mobile for the mountains  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
An IC-2300H is installed in my Jeep Cherokee Sport and it is teamed up with a Larsen 5/8 wave whip with a run of RG-58. I live and operate this radio in the Colorado Rocky Mountains. This transceiver receives excellent audio reports in rugged mountainous terrain. The furthest A+ report I've received via simplex thus far was from an operator using a stock Yaesu FT-60 at 15+ miles and it was not line-of-sight (multiple mountains). Reception from that station was barely audible and not comprehensible. Hey, what can be expected from a rubber duck handheld at that distance in rugged mountains? That individual later let me know that my transmission from the IC-2300H was received and copied Lima Charlie (loud and clear).

This unit has had no issues reaching the local repeaters at 20+ miles.

Something I noticed was that the included mic (HM-133) sounds a bit tinny and does not capture the mid and lower tones of the user's voice. It is entirely functional but I replaced it with the simpler and less expensive ICOM HM-154 and the middle register is relayed much better during transmission. In short, the less expensive HM-154 was an upgrade compared to the pricier included HM-133 mic.

I have not experienced any heat issues with this unit. The unit does heat up at higher wattage as one might expect but nothing I would consider unusual.

This transceiver sports a tuning knob that is of good size and grip. I've found it useful when I as the driver am focused on the trail and my passenger needs to change frequencies (radio mounted on passenger side of center console). No midget tuning knob to mess with like on some mobiles. I have found all the knobs smooth in operation with the tuning knob also exhibiting a nice bump between frequencies/memories which is helpful on bumpy trails.

Easy access to NOAA weather broadcast (and WX alert) for those times when you find yourself all alone miles from civilization with a storm inbound.

Pros:
1. Excellent performance at distance
2. Excellent performance in rugged mountainous terrain
3. Easy to learn controls on the radio unit itself (beats my Yaesu 8800)
4. Well built, solid and sturdy
5. Very good audio reports with the HM-154 mic
6. Large tuning knob
7. Large and easy to read display

Cons:
1. Included HM-133 mic only adequate, tinny and outperformed by the less expensive and simpler HM-154 (why not just package the HM-154 with the radio and drop the sale price another $30 to reflect the change in equipment?)

Bottom line:
I would buy this transceiver again for use as loaner equipment or as a mobile/fixed 2m station with the HM-154 mic. Would I recommend it? Absolutely.

K2XLG Rating: 4/5 Jan 24, 2014 03:14 Send this review to a friend
Good choice for 2 meter mobile  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a straight 2 meter mobile that does a good job.I use it at home with a proper power supply and have no issues.People complaining about heat should turn the power down.It is somewhat odd that ICOM chooses to put the circuit board on top of the heatsink..especially without a fan.With that in mind,I would recommend limiting your time spent at full power.I could only see this being a problem on simplex while mobile..which is where you would tend to run higher power anyway.Repeater use should give enough of a break between Tx to get some cooling.Obviously,using with a higher gain antenna will also allow running at lower power. When looking at this radio,I also considered the Yaesu FT-2900R.This one places the heatsink properly,but after having a couple other Yaesu radios,I've found their "Settings" menu a PIA.It's easier to access the most needed functions with ICOM's system versus the way Yaesu does it..at least,IMHO.The bottom firing speaker on the Yaesu may be a selling point though.But other than these two items,there isn't much difference feature wise.Pluses for this radio include:1-Being able to change display color.2-Having multiple power settings down to 5 watts.One of the other selling points for me was this radio's evolution..coming from the 2200H.That radio has seen a fairly extensive production run and has a ton of really good reviews.And that was the clincher for me.