Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | Begali Leonessa Help

Reviews Summary for Begali Leonessa
Begali Leonessa Reviews: 4 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $510
Description: Innovative high speed paddle with a unique design which allows it to function as a dual lever paddle for iambic operation, or a dual action single lever key.
More info: http://www.i2rtf.com

You can write your own review of the Begali Leonessa.

P43R Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2016 21:48 Send this review to a friend
My Favorite key  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have a HST MKII, Expedition, Sculpture and this Leonessa. (Yes I am your average uninformed consumer that keeps making irrational purchasing)
All great keys.
I also have some other brand keys.
For some reason, difficult to explain, I like to use the Leonessa most of the time.
it has a, for me, different feel that the others.
First thing I did when I received mine was putting away the feeler gauge and spacing recommendations. I like the gap to be slightly bigger.
It's such a great piece of engineering. It would be, I thingk, a shame not to make use of those precision bearing design and not being able to see the paddle move from side to side. I tried different setting until i found what felt right for me.
I use it back and forth in dual paddle mode and single lever mode. Like dual paddle mode better.
It stays on the table. Doesn't move around when you get too excited with a new call sign contact.
It is my favorite paddle now.
Don't think too much about it. Just let them take your money.
You will thank them for doing so.

IK6BAK Rating: 5/5 Dec 10, 2012 09:30 Send this review to a friend
A superb key  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had the chance to use the Leonessa for about one month.
Tested it in every possible way, from contest to long chats on QRQ and QRS, doing about 500 QSO.
Born from a cooperation between one of the most talented Italian telegraphists and Mr. Begali, who made it with his well-known skill, the key has certainly a secret that makes it extremely pleasant to use.
The particular configuration of the wide paddles provide a unique touch.
Since the mechanism is based on the second degree lever, few grams are enough to get the best results, about 16/18 grams versus 22/25 of a classic key.
Undoubtedly a true jewel, I'm planning to buy it in order to make good company the superlative Pearl I already have.

N7RR Rating: 5/5 May 3, 2012 16:10 Send this review to a friend
Awesome Precision in a Hybrid Single or Dual Lever - N7RR  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Leonessa is a hybrid. It can serve as an incredibly-smooth dual-lever keyer paddle. Then with a small adjustment of a thumbscrew on the left paddle, the Leonessa is transformed into a two-fingerpiece dual-action single-lever paddle. Because of the need for neutral centering, high-quality single-lever paddles are more complicated to engineer than similar dual-lever paddles. The hybrid Leonessa is even more sophisticated.

An oval cam in the rear can be adjusted to change the spacing between the fingerpieces, a setting which is independent of contact spacing. About a 45 setting seems right for my taste. Like the Sculpture Mono, both fingerpieces on the Leonessa are tall and perforated, enabling a variety of paddling techniques. After soldering on the patch cord to suit my right-handed paddling, I set about making the Leonessa perform.

The single-lever mode requires some careful preparation. The instructions make it clear that the Leonessa first needs to be adjusted for satisfactory dual-lever action while plugged into a keyer. Both left/right contact-spacing and left/right return-force are readily adjustable using four large fingerscrews. Then when the paddles are squeezed together to produce the iambic warbling between dits and dahs, that special smaller thumbscrew on the left-hand fingerpiece is tightened carefully so that either a string of dits or a string of dahs is produced. The Leonessa now performs as a single-lever paddle.

The tolerances of the Leonessa are extremely tight. I was able to adjust the contacts so close that in single-lever mode, I can hear no click when closing it either on the dit side or on the dah side. She now purrs flawlessly. I had thought that the Begali Sculpture Mono represented the finest of single-lever paddles. In single-lever mode, the Leonessa is even better. Pietro Begali has only one true competitor: Pietro Begali!

The Leonessa does come at a pretty price: 390 plus shipping. That's actually less than the Sculpture Mono, which will set you back 425 plus shipping. On the other hand, whether you currently prefer dual-lever or single-lever paddling, the Leonessa may be the last fixed-station paddle you'll ever want to buy. If you're currently a bug operator and want to try controlling a keyer with single-lever action you can do so, but then later if you want to develop your dual-lever paddling skills, you can do that as well using the same precision paddle. I moved in the opposite direction: after many years of dual-lever paddling, I've migrated to single-lever style as my sending speed has increased. A guest operator at my station can easily convert the Leonessa from single-lever to dual-lever operation.

IK4VFD Rating: 5/5 Apr 19, 2012 12:56 Send this review to a friend
the best  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had a lot of paddle, but the new Leonessa, has something that makes it unique, precise, with some fantastic features, such as the possibility of adjusting the width of the paddle (that's a short video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2smBEisuLo ) with this key I get an adjustment of the magnets, very low, without fear of having the famous "rebound" effect ...
Begali great, great job