Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | Chameleon MIL Whip Help

Reviews Summary for Chameleon MIL Whip
Chameleon MIL Whip Reviews: 11 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $99
Description: The CHA MIL whip is a broadband monopole antenna designed for portable or manpack radios requiring compact but rugged antenna systems.

If used in a stand-alone setup the antenna will cover 28-54 MHz with an external antenna tuner. To enhance RF propagation and antenna performance a ground-plane is required.

The CHA MIL whip can also be used as accessory and replace the upper section of the CHA V1L & CHA V2L to increase the performance between 1.8-7.5 MHz. Combined only with the CHA HYBRID the CHA MIL will whip cover 1.8-54 MHz (limited performance from 1.8-3.5 MHz).

Its design has been borrowed from similar antennas utilized by many armies all over the world. The CHA MIL is very hardy, sturdy and portable (being collapsible). Un-mounted the entire antenna length is less than 29. The 5 aluminum sections are hold together by a piece of 1/8th inch US GI MIL SPEC shock cord that can be replaced by the operator if necessary. But its 85% elongation and break point of 95 pounds properties make the 1/8th inch US GI MIL SPEC shock cord the best on the market.

Specifications:
Frequency: 6M - 160M with CHA HYBRID, 6M - 10M stand-alone.
Power: 1500W SSB
RF Connection: 3/8-24 Thread
VSWR: Subject to configuration
Height: 108
Weight: 1 Lb.
Mounting Configuration: 3/8-24 Thread
More info: http://chameleonantenna.com/

You can write your own review of the Chameleon MIL Whip.

NU6Y Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2014 08:31 Send this review to a friend
Great Portable antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have two Mil Whip antenna's, after getting the 1st and checking out the quality, I got the second. One has been used as my favorite home antenna, It includes a Chameleon Hybrid, with the lower portion of a V1L, then a Cap hat and a Mil whip on top. Four ground plan wires 25' long and I am talking to Europe, japan Russia, etc. This is also a very quiet (low background noise), but a great receive antenna. My other Whip, is part of my travel antenna. Its a champ and in both cases a stealth antenna. This review only applies to 10 meters through 80 meters, I can always match the antenna using an autotuner with SWR always under 2.5, but most of the time below 1.5. I have never tried the antenna on 6 or 160. Note a counterpoise is needed for DX

K5HTB Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2014 05:47 Send this review to a friend
Japan with MIL Whip  Time owned: more than 12 months
Living in a ground floor apartment makes hamming a bit difficult.
Using the Hybrid-Mini base, MIL-Whip, two sections of military fiber glass mast and a 25 foot counterpoise, I worked the ARRL-DX-SSB contest. The Hybrid base is about 10 feet agl and sloping slightly toward the East. The radio was a TS-480sat.
Among countries worked were Japan, Finland, Argentina, Slovac Republic, Columbia, and Poland. For a "compromise" antenna, it works very well indeed.

Travis
K5HTB

KV4AN Rating: 5/5 Aug 17, 2014 18:42 Send this review to a friend
You feel like you should be wearing your helmet  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
When using this antenna, you feel like you should be wearing your steel pot helmet and calling in a SITREP. This is a 10 foot tall sectional whip, like used by the military. I saw a video on the Chameleon web site that showed how to setup the FT-817 with this and a Hybrid base to make a manpack HF set and man was I hooked. I had to have one. Not only is it the coolest setup I've ever seen, but with the Hybrid base, it actually works! Sky wave signals are not real strong on 80, but I worked Germany on 20 CW with 5 Watts. My next task is going to be experimenting with ground wave on 80 meters between a similarly equipped station.

K5HTB Rating: 5/5 Dec 29, 2012 14:36 Send this review to a friend
A great addition to my kit.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I live in a ground floor apartment in Houston, Texas and to say the least, am restricted. When I am able to operate, I use the Hybrid plus the MIL Whip on two fiber glass military mast sections. This places the bottom of the antenna about 10 from the ground in the mount I use.
Between the antenna and the rig, I use an "ugly balun" Twenty feet of RG-8x wrapped around a four inch PVC pipe.
My contacts at 100 watts SSB have included Hawaii, many stations in Canada, Brazil, Argentina, Curacao, Spain, Belgium, Columbia among other Caribbean and Central American counties. With a little additional power, I should do quite a bit better.

Hugh Travis Burgess
K5HTB

KB3YHR Rating: 5/5 Nov 7, 2012 06:38 Send this review to a friend
Very portable flexible antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Currently using the MIL WHIP in conjunction with a Cameleon V11. (The whip is on the upper segment.) The addition of the whip greatly improved the performance on the 80M and 160M bands while keeping the package compact enough to meet HOA restrictions. Very rugged construction and when preparing for Sandy very easy to collapse and stow away,

VE7GNR Rating: 5/5 Nov 1, 2012 11:06 Send this review to a friend
Excellent for 10M/6M or extending HF multiband V1 base  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Garnet Ryder, VE7GNR

Icom 703 Plus (HF+6M 10W QRP transceiver)
Chameleon V1L base + MIL Whip + Hybrid base + 2 counterpoises/radials mounted on top of a 5ft aluminum pole.

Anyone looking for a simple, easy to use antenna system should consider the V1L + MIL whip + Hybrid base!

I live in a condo on the top floor (4th floor) with a rooftop deck. HOA rules prevent me from putting up a permanent antenna. I have the coax, mount & antenna on a 5ft painter's pole. When I want to use the antenna I simply connect the V1L base & MIL whip to the pole mount and clip into brackets on my deck for the evening/afternoon.

My Chameleon antenna operates as an elevated vertical. Radials are hanging over slanted roof & over the edge to hang. I'd like to have more radials, but can't because I don't have rooftop access or permission.

Weekend of 20-21 Oct 2012 on 10M SSB with 10W.
Spoke from Vancouver, BC, Canada to Chicago OH, St. Louis MO, Kansas City KS & Paris TX.
Signals were 59, loud & clear.

The best feature is that I don't have to do anything at the antenna when switching bands. I simply change bands on my radio & adjust the antenna tuner for the band.

I also love how portable this antenna is because it allows me to take to park in the summer, or hiking/camping, or setup at a friend's house during a contest.

KB1UTL Rating: 5/5 Sep 4, 2012 13:36 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna system  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm running a Yaesu FT-897D with the Hybrid Mini, V2L lower element, and the MIL... I live in a condo and I'm only able to set it up as a portable system on the optional tripod but have had amazing results so far... I live in the Boston, MA area and in the first week have been able to talk all over the US and Canada, Poland, England, Brazil, Venezuela, and Hawaii (5000+ mi on 40m)... all reported I was 5/5 or better and they were all +10, +20 on my end... Customer support was wonderful before and after buying... I recommend this antenna to anyone looking for a great portable system!!!

KF5FXZ Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2012 09:50 Send this review to a friend
Simple & Rugged  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I got the Chameleon Mil-Whip to solve for a portable communications operations center for our local CERT disaster recovery team to use in setting up a mobile command post. I was really impressed with the quality of the antenna, and the ease of setup. Making an antenna available that has already been tested by the rigors of military use - for civilian portable use is a genius move by Chameleon.

And it is simple; military R&D has GI-proofed it already, right? There is very little to go wrong with this HF vertical antenna, and it is rated for up to 1500 watts when used with the Hybrid Base! That is RF sunburn territory, out of a portable rig!

The great thing is it can be used on a man-portable backpack rig, in a portable base station, or in a semi- or fully permanent base station application. How versatile is that?

I use it on a portable 10-ft. tripod mast, with great results. Reception range is awesome! Even the faintest signals can be retrieved where other verticals lose the signal in the background hiss. When I add the V-1 antenna base to the Mil-Whip (making an almost a 15-ft. vertical), along with the Chameleon Counterpoise Wire Kit, I can even get down in the lower HF bands, including the MARS-designated frequencies!

Chameleon is also very helpful and responsive to any questions through their forum, and will make pre-purchase recommendations for your rig if you need assistance.

If you are looking at a truly simple and portable no-fuss HF antenna that is rugged and lightweight, I cannot recommend any other currently available setup over the Chameleon Mil-Whip for ease of use, put-up and take-down simplicity, light weight and quality of the craftsmanship and construction.

I see another Mil-Whip in my future, as I will be erecting a permanent base station mast soon, and the performance of the Hybrid Base unit with the Mil-Whip is just phenomenal!

N4DOV Rating: 5/5 May 20, 2012 16:17 Send this review to a friend
Got whipped  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Like the others I have added the Chameleon MIL-WHIP to my Chameleon armamentarium. Breaks down to 29 inches and with the Mil-spec shock cord inside assembles to 10'8". It is made "like a surgical instrument" and with the weight of less than a pound, very portable. So happy with its performance, I have added it above my V1L lower element, as it is light and sturdy enough that it does not whip all over the place, like most stainless steel whips.
I wish to add a note about Chameleon products in general. These antennas and accessories give a certain group of hams the ability to enjoy the hobby. We do not expect multi-element yagi performance, but if you are in one of these categories, it may be the answer : antenna restricted, operate portable or mobile,
emergency communications,or just looking for an inconspicuous antenna.
With the Chameleon products I got :
incredible results that exceeded my expectations,
probably the most versatile antenna configurations,
beautifully made sturdy products,
probably the best manufactures support available,
questions answered virtually immediately,
expedited shipping
I wish to add that I have no relationship to the company(other than they have some of my money in exchange for products)

N9SWR Rating: 5/5 May 12, 2012 16:10 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the Mil Whip mounted on a Hybrid Base on a 10 ft metal pole with no radials. The antenna is grounded at window panel. No problem reaching anywhere in the States or Europe. If you don't have the space, the Chameleon Antenna's are the way to go