Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | Chameleon MIL Whip Help

Reviews Summary for Chameleon MIL Whip
Chameleon MIL Whip Reviews: 15 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $99
Description: The CHA MIL whip is a broadband monopole antenna designed for portable or manpack radios requiring compact but rugged antenna systems.

If used in a stand-alone setup the antenna will cover 28-54 MHz with an external antenna tuner. To enhance RF propagation and antenna performance a ground-plane is required.

The CHA MIL whip can also be used as accessory and replace the upper section of the CHA V1L & CHA V2L to increase the performance between 1.8-7.5 MHz. Combined only with the CHA HYBRID the CHA MIL will whip cover 1.8-54 MHz (limited performance from 1.8-3.5 MHz).

Its design has been borrowed from similar antennas utilized by many armies all over the world. The CHA MIL is very hardy, sturdy and portable (being collapsible). Un-mounted the entire antenna length is less than 29. The 5 aluminum sections are hold together by a piece of 1/8th inch US GI MIL SPEC shock cord that can be replaced by the operator if necessary. But its 85% elongation and break point of 95 pounds properties make the 1/8th inch US GI MIL SPEC shock cord the best on the market.

Frequency: 6M - 160M with CHA HYBRID, 6M - 10M stand-alone.
Power: 1500W SSB
RF Connection: 3/8-24 Thread
VSWR: Subject to configuration
Height: 108
Weight: 1 Lb.
Mounting Configuration: 3/8-24 Thread

You can write your own review of the Chameleon MIL Whip.

N4KGL Rating: 5/5 Nov 11, 2015 05:06 Send this review to a friend
Easy to deploy antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I operate outdoors portable and sometimes moveable (Rapid Deployment Amateur Radio aka RaDAR). I have used The CHA MIL whip and CHA MIL whip extension in conjunction with the CHA Hybrid Micro and CHA jaw mount. I also have the CHA four wire counterpoise kit. There are situations where you don't have much room or supports. This is where the whip comes in handy. In fact, I enjoy taking advantage of the saltwater effect for verticals at beach and bays here. I use the CHA Hybrid Micro/Whip combination with the internal tuner on my Elecraft KX3 and the LDG external tuner for my Icom 7100. I just pick a frequency and tune. The whips are the shock cord type and fold up nicely. They are very rugged. I have had success with the whip on many outings. I would take a look at this antenna component for RaDAR, EMCOMM and SOTA.
VE3FAL Rating: 5/5 Nov 8, 2015 12:10 Send this review to a friend
Nice antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own the MIL Whip along with a number of the CHA HyBrid Coils. I use the MIL Whip also in conjunction with a CHA CAP HAT, it allows me to work the lower bands with my PRC-104 with ease of tuning. I use the CHA HyBrid Micro with the V1 bottom, CHA CAP HAT and the CHA MIL WHIP on that.
I have had luck with all my Chameleon products as well as my CHA F-Loop.
W7MCK Rating: 5/5 Sep 11, 2015 10:09 Send this review to a friend
Awesome!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use this with the V1 base and the Hybrid Mini.
Everytime I've used this setup, I've always made a contact no matter what.
I've talked from Reno NV to Tokyo Japan with this and 100 watts many times and they cannot believe that this is all I use.
I originally bought this after I had asked Carl the owner for a suggested setup for my HOA situation.
Now that I don't live in an HOA area and I can put up whatever I want, I still use this. LOL.
I have it on a 16 foot painters pole and use an umbrella stand as my base.
I've also used it on field days and in the park running at only 10 watts and have made contacts up to 1000 miles away.
Great product, hands down.
NY2MC Rating: 5/5 Jan 3, 2015 16:23 Send this review to a friend
Use on my Backpack  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I use the Chameleon Mil Whip on the Hybrid Mini Base and it works great. I have used it on the pack at the park, pedestrian mobile, even strapped it to a stick to stick it in the snow. On top of Hadley mt. the wind was blowing hard and I had to strap the pack to the fire tower guy line. The antenna system withstood the wind with no problems. Great product. Video of my pack on youtube. NY2MC
NU6Y Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2014 08:31 Send this review to a friend
Great Portable antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have two Mil Whip antenna's, after getting the 1st and checking out the quality, I got the second. One has been used as my favorite home antenna, It includes a Chameleon Hybrid, with the lower portion of a V1L, then a Cap hat and a Mil whip on top. Four ground plan wires 25' long and I am talking to Europe, japan Russia, etc. This is also a very quiet (low background noise), but a great receive antenna. My other Whip, is part of my travel antenna. Its a champ and in both cases a stealth antenna. This review only applies to 10 meters through 80 meters, I can always match the antenna using an autotuner with SWR always under 2.5, but most of the time below 1.5. I have never tried the antenna on 6 or 160. Note a counterpoise is needed for DX
K5HTB Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2014 05:47 Send this review to a friend
Japan with MIL Whip  Time owned: more than 12 months
Living in a ground floor apartment makes hamming a bit difficult.
Using the Hybrid-Mini base, MIL-Whip, two sections of military fiber glass mast and a 25 foot counterpoise, I worked the ARRL-DX-SSB contest. The Hybrid base is about 10 feet agl and sloping slightly toward the East. The radio was a TS-480sat.
Among countries worked were Japan, Finland, Argentina, Slovac Republic, Columbia, and Poland. For a "compromise" antenna, it works very well indeed.

KV4AN Rating: 5/5 Aug 17, 2014 18:42 Send this review to a friend
You feel like you should be wearing your helmet  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
When using this antenna, you feel like you should be wearing your steel pot helmet and calling in a SITREP. This is a 10 foot tall sectional whip, like used by the military. I saw a video on the Chameleon web site that showed how to setup the FT-817 with this and a Hybrid base to make a manpack HF set and man was I hooked. I had to have one. Not only is it the coolest setup I've ever seen, but with the Hybrid base, it actually works! Sky wave signals are not real strong on 80, but I worked Germany on 20 CW with 5 Watts. My next task is going to be experimenting with ground wave on 80 meters between a similarly equipped station.
K5HTB Rating: 5/5 Dec 29, 2012 14:36 Send this review to a friend
A great addition to my kit.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I live in a ground floor apartment in Houston, Texas and to say the least, am restricted. When I am able to operate, I use the Hybrid plus the MIL Whip on two fiber glass military mast sections. This places the bottom of the antenna about 10 from the ground in the mount I use.
Between the antenna and the rig, I use an "ugly balun" Twenty feet of RG-8x wrapped around a four inch PVC pipe.
My contacts at 100 watts SSB have included Hawaii, many stations in Canada, Brazil, Argentina, Curacao, Spain, Belgium, Columbia among other Caribbean and Central American counties. With a little additional power, I should do quite a bit better.

Hugh Travis Burgess
KB3YHR Rating: 5/5 Nov 7, 2012 06:38 Send this review to a friend
Very portable flexible antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Currently using the MIL WHIP in conjunction with a Cameleon V11. (The whip is on the upper segment.) The addition of the whip greatly improved the performance on the 80M and 160M bands while keeping the package compact enough to meet HOA restrictions. Very rugged construction and when preparing for Sandy very easy to collapse and stow away,
VE7GNR Rating: 5/5 Nov 1, 2012 11:06 Send this review to a friend
Excellent for 10M/6M or extending HF multiband V1 base  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Garnet Ryder, VE7GNR

Icom 703 Plus (HF+6M 10W QRP transceiver)
Chameleon V1L base + MIL Whip + Hybrid base + 2 counterpoises/radials mounted on top of a 5ft aluminum pole.

Anyone looking for a simple, easy to use antenna system should consider the V1L + MIL whip + Hybrid base!

I live in a condo on the top floor (4th floor) with a rooftop deck. HOA rules prevent me from putting up a permanent antenna. I have the coax, mount & antenna on a 5ft painter's pole. When I want to use the antenna I simply connect the V1L base & MIL whip to the pole mount and clip into brackets on my deck for the evening/afternoon.

My Chameleon antenna operates as an elevated vertical. Radials are hanging over slanted roof & over the edge to hang. I'd like to have more radials, but can't because I don't have rooftop access or permission.

Weekend of 20-21 Oct 2012 on 10M SSB with 10W.
Spoke from Vancouver, BC, Canada to Chicago OH, St. Louis MO, Kansas City KS & Paris TX.
Signals were 59, loud & clear.

The best feature is that I don't have to do anything at the antenna when switching bands. I simply change bands on my radio & adjust the antenna tuner for the band.

I also love how portable this antenna is because it allows me to take to park in the summer, or hiking/camping, or setup at a friend's house during a contest.