Reviews Categories | Filters, Audio: (DSP and others) | ClearSpeech base unit Help

Reviews Summary for ClearSpeech base unit
ClearSpeech base unit Reviews: 33 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $179.95
Description: Stand alone audio DSP unit
More info: http://www.amcominc.com/productdetail.cfm?Prod_ID=16

You can write your own review of the ClearSpeech base unit.

WA3KTZ Rating: 5/5 Dec 7, 2002 10:05 Send this review to a friend
It Delivers!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I would second everything that KC0BUS said about this unit. When I received the unit and hooked it up, I admit that I was a little unimpressed at first. The value that this box brings to the listening experience takes a bit of time to appreciate. For the first month or so, I would switch it on and off to compare performance on select QSOs. After that period, however, its performance enhancements became more and more obvious, and it never has been switched off from then to present.

I still don't understand why the base unit without speaker costs as much as the base unit alone, but the latter option allows me to use my outboard rig speaker, along with the built in noise filters.

This is $150 that is well worth the investment. Just be patient when you hook it up - its benefits creep up on you over a few weeks.

KC0BUS Rating: 5/5 Sep 9, 2002 05:01 Send this review to a friend
IT'S A MIRACLE!!! FINALLY AN ANSWER TO HAMS PRAYERS!!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had this unit for about half a year now and I'll never be able to figure out how I got along without it. I leave it turned on all the time and am able to hear weak stations that I simply couldn't hear before. It also saves on the listening fatigue so I am able to operate longer! It' really is THAT good!!! Yes, there is a little processing sound to the audio but it is well worth the trade off for the many benifits you get in return. It actually makes 80 meters sound as good as 20 meters without DSP! It doesn't do much on strong signals but you don't need it too. Where it reall shines is where it's supposed to- on the really weak ones! Simply a must for every shack. Every ham that I let try this is very impressed and you will be too!

K9VDD Rating: 5/5 Jun 15, 2002 11:33 Send this review to a friend
A REAL MARRIAGE SAVER111  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
OK guys & gals, when was the last time you went HF mobile and brought your other half along, only to hear a complaint soon after starting out that that radio sure sounds like a "hash" grinder and all static. "How can you hear anything"? Then add the road noise and the "noise" of the complainer !! Makes for a rather poor ham radio experience to say the least!

Now comes the Clear Speech machine!! Nice quiet and clear audio, no "hash" and no complaints from the back seat drivers !!!! Result.... enjoyable HF mobile experience and a good trip and a SAVED MARRIAGE!

73, Ralph K9VDD

N6WIN Rating: 4/5 May 20, 2002 07:29 Send this review to a friend
Works great, but...  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I got this unit for my apartment, vertical on 2nd floor balcony was receiving a lot of noise. The Clearspeech Base unit worked great at reducing noise and really helped intelligibility. I had it on most of the time.

BUT, it takes a few seconds to go back into line after transmitting. If you've got the volume up for a weak station, get ready for the earaches. Also, it does indeed add a whispering sound to the audio, like a few people whispering in the background at a restaurant. That could sometimes produce a worse situation than not using it at all. I found that in contest situations the DSP really didn't help that much due to the delay in coming back online after transmitting.

I liked it, but I sold it once I got a FT-1000 Mk V. I'd buy it again if I found the need for DSP on an older rig setup.

KT4XP Rating: 4/5 Apr 14, 2002 17:25 Send this review to a friend
Decent Unit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the base unit for my home station
but after about a week I found it added a component to the SSB signal being received.On very
weak stations in the noise I found it brought
them out a little but at the same time added some distortion and a wispering effect.Even in bypass
mode it still seemed to slightly alter the audio.
I tried it in my mobile and thats where this unit
really shines,It made a HUGE difference in the
backround noise and readability of signals on SSB.
I would reccomend this unit for mobile applications.
This one is still a keeper.

N0MND Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2002 12:14 Send this review to a friend
Works good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I like it, it works good.

K9KJM Rating: 5/5 Mar 27, 2002 23:01 Send this review to a friend
A MUST HAVE  Time owned: more than 12 months
For a long time I skimmed right past the AM COM Clear Speech ads, Thinking it was just another "Gimmick" to seperate money from unsuspecting hams. After hearing several stations on the air give it very high praise, I thought I would give one a try. WOW! almost like magic, reduced noise! After using it for over a year now, I would not be without it! The price seemed high, but for what it does it is worth every penny.

KD3V Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2002 16:40 Send this review to a friend
Works!, but they missed something!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
We need to be able to give fractional ratings.
4.5 is mine.
It works as advertised! and it provides much easier listening with the reduced noise and automatic carrier cancelling... BUT!!! (I would like to know why no one mentions this in these reviews but other owners know about it when we talk on the air)...
When listening to medium strength or weaker signals and you have the volume turned up higher than normal, well, after you unkey, the audio "blasts" can be quite loud until the unit cathches up to the audio stream that returns after unkeying. This IS annoying because on weaker signals the volume does need to be raised to compensate for filtering and the blast of 'noise' can be very loud!
They need to provide a software fix that recognizes the loss of audio as a TX situation and have the processor remember those settings for when the audio returns! Simple!
The problem is the unit see 'no audio' and adjusts its parameters accordingly... which are totally wrong when the user unkeys! The 1-2+ seconds it takes to "catch up" can be quite disturbing.
KDa3Ve

AB7SL Rating: 5/5 Nov 29, 2001 00:19 Send this review to a friend
About warbled audio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
There is a different presence to the audio of course because it is digitally processed audio. So it sounds different than standard scratchy noisy audio. It is clear and very easy to understand. It sure is not distorted audio in any way....if there is any difference it is the fact that the audio is improved and easier to copy and much more comfortable to listen to for extended times. Is it "over-priced"? It is the least expensive of any add-on DSP unit and is the easiest to use and because it alone has the proprietary ClearSpeech algorithm it is also the most effective....it truly beats the DSP that is built-in on todays HF rigs. the fact that it does not have numerous knobs,buttons,readouts etc is a distinct advantage. When I use it and copy a signal i can concentrate on what I am doing instead of twisting knobs and deciphering readouts. Hey it has a 30-day money back guarantee...if you don't like it you get all your money back....but if you want the cleanest and clearest audio GET IT!

W2BRI Rating: 5/5 Nov 28, 2001 19:00 Send this review to a friend
A very Nice Product - No Miracle  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
No doubt, this product does remove a lot of noise. However, I want to be fair and communicate the fact that it is not a miracle. You have to pay the piper, and you pay him with altered audio. Voices sound distorted by the device -- it has a warbled effect which can sometimes be annoying. It does make copy much more readable despite the altered audio MOST of the time, but not always. I like this product a lot, but don't expect the impossible. Also, I think it is a bit overpriced.