Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | AFEDRI SDR-NET Help

Reviews Summary for AFEDRI SDR-NET
AFEDRI SDR-NET Reviews: 15 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $~250
Description: Direct Sampling Software Defined Receiver
More info: http://www.4z5lv.net

You can write your own review of the AFEDRI SDR-NET.

WB8YQJ Rating: 5/5 Jun 20, 2016 20:32 Send this review to a friend
Great Value.  Time owned: more than 12 months
For only a little more than you would pay for a dongle, Alex provides a 12 bit receiver with adjustable pre-amp, 2MHZ available for viewing, and most importantly an ethernet connection option in addition to the traditional USB hookup.

It also has a metal case like a real ham radio.

The documentation is English as a second language, so it could be better, but Alex provides unlimited personal support for each unit - he will get your SDR working! There is also a Yahoo Message Group.

The product is mature.

I have a SDR-Net v3.0 and a v4. They are both fully supported by SDR-Radio, SDR-Console, and HDSDR. These provide OMNIRig connections to existing CAT capable transceivers for Transmit.

This is a great receiving amateur radio - not to be wasted as a Spectrum Display only.

I2DMI Rating: 5/5 Mar 13, 2016 07:01 Send this review to a friend
good receive - huge assistance from Alex  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have running a AFREDI822x 2Channel on reverse Beacon Network service.
Card is perfect. Rx with a magnetic loop ALA-1530 is fantastic.
Alex assistance deserves 5/5
Frank i2dmi

K8ZK Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2015 19:36 Send this review to a friend
Good performance, great value  Time owned: more than 12 months
Owned mine for a couple of years. I also have the cheap dongles and an airspy and spyverter. The Ethernet interface is the only way to go. USB connectivity is always troublesome with higher sample rates.
The performance is comparable to my older Kenwood hf rig. For the money, it is a great value.

WE1X Rating: 5/5 Oct 12, 2014 06:21 Send this review to a friend
Excellent for HF Panadapter Application  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The SDR receiver market has experienced and continues to go through some interesting changes since the introductions of WinRadio, Perseus and SoftRock SDRs. The RTL dongles allowed some of us to experiment with SDR without spending big bucks. The advent of SDRs from Elad, Afedri, Flex, Software Radio Laboratory and others now offers hobbyists many options at different price points.

Sometime ago I used an RTL dongle for a panadapter application with an Icom IC-7600. It works quite well, albeit from time to time the 8-bit dongle can suffer from some overload. Always looking to improve things I began exploring another option to be used with a second transceiver. After much searching I decided to go with the Afedri SDR-Net.

On the low-end RTL dongles with upconverters were considered. However, I was concerned about the introduction of additional noise, artifacts, limited dynamic range, etc. At the high-end the QS1Rs, Perseus, etc. looked like they would be wonderful additions to the shack, but overkill for a panadapter application. Eventually, and with input from other SDR users, I settled on the Afedri SDR-Net and glad I did.

Ordering was simple and straight forward. Delivery took less than 5 days. Support from Alex has been timely and helpful.

The SDR-Net works nicely with HDSDR (either USB or Ethernet connection) without the limitations associated with the 8-bit dongles. At $260 it's a nice fit for an HF panadapter application.

LU1DO Rating: 5/5 Sep 17, 2014 15:37 Send this review to a friend
Super SDR  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This SDR is the best bang for the buck. I have had it for a couple of weeks running through USB on a small asus netbook and running via tcp/ip on a elder dell vostro 1500 laptop with winXP?
To keep noise out, i used an old mfj manual tuner connected to my normally wire antenna.
In the next weeks I will try other software / operating systems.
73s Miguel

WB8NUT Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2014 10:19 Send this review to a friend
Excellent SDR and Great Features - Excellent Value  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The Afedri is an excellent value. At around $200 it has USB or Ethernet Interface available.

I use it for AM Broadcast as well as general shortwave and ham listening. It does an incredible job. Glad I bought it.

Supported by most of the popular SDR software programs.

It comes from Israel and only took one week to get here.

K0FTC Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2013 07:28 Send this review to a friend
Great for me  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My use for this very moderately priced SDR was to integrate it with CW-Skimmer. It does that very well using HDSDR. I have my KX3 integrated with the HDSDR band screen and CW-Skimmer so as I move about with any of the 3, the other two follow. (I use the outstanding receiver on the KX3 to listen to signals.) I also have an SDR-IQ and looking at the CW-Skimmer screens next to each other, I can't tell the difference. Both of these radios report spots to RBN and I can watch and use 2 different bands at the same time. Powering is easy through the USB and it saves one more plug into already busy outlets. You can sample through the USB, and for CW and looking at the lower parts of band, that will work FB. However, I am using the Ethernet cable connection through my home router, and increase bandwidth and speed considerably, and it does not tie up resources in my case through the USB. Alex (4Z5LV) is very responsive, and there is a very informative yahoo group on the net. If I have need for another SDR, I would not hesitate to order another.

SWL2002 Rating: 3/5 May 15, 2013 08:58 Send this review to a friend
OK  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought one late 2012. For the price, it is a pretty cool SDR. It is definitely better than the RF Space SDR-IQ and the Ethernet connectivity sets it apart in the sub-$1000 price class. However, it is a compromise design. Its dynamic range is limited and it overloads easily with a decent antenna. This is blatantly obvious when compared to my other sub-$1000 SDRs, such as the Perseus and QS1R. Even Alex, the designer of the AFEDRI, says that it is a compromise design and makes users aware of the limitations. The limitations of the AFREDRI can be dealt with, but expect to spend some additional money on bandpass filters as well as a pre-amp. The AFEDRI is not very sensitive and this is noticed on the higher frequencies. Unfortunately, by the time you add on the costs of adding these other components, you might have well bought one of the more expensive SDRs.

PU2ABB Rating: 5/5 May 10, 2013 09:18 Send this review to a friend
WOOWW Amazing!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Product with excellent cost benefit compared to similar model that costs $ 1,500. Afedri installed on my local network and works simultaneously on two PCs without loss of performance of wireless network traffic.
The Afedri is compatible with almost all software available in the market and the native SDR Radio v2.
Alex is amazing in support Afedri always willing to help and solve all problems. Congratulations on the beautiful work of engineering.
Highly recommended.

KJ6BBS Rating: 5/5 May 7, 2013 21:42 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio and Great Price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My first SDR, so I don't have much to compare it to in that realm, but I gave this radio a 5 because for its price point against all the other steeply priced SDR's out there this radio did not disappoint in performance.

The radio is quiet and there is no front-end interference. It picks up everything my transceiver does (Yaesu FT-897D), and picks up a lot more than my Icom RC-20 (a noisy front-end radio).

The aluminum case is strong, and has clean construction. Ports for ethernet, power, and USB are sturdy. SMA connector on back is stable as well. Nice bright status lights on the front.

I tried it out with several software interfaces, starting with SDR-Console ver. 1. This is not recommended, but some folks have had much success getting this to cooperate with the radio connection. On the other hand, SDR-Console ver. 2 was easy to connect up, on the USB, but I still have to resolve how to get the Ethernet connection to talk to it. Speaking of Ethernet connections, if you are going to be using the direct connection from SDR to Ethernet port on PC, be prepared to troubleshoot if you're not network savvy. I got this to work, with some help from the maker of the radio, and he spent a good hour walking me through the set up, and it worked great in HDSDR (formerly WinRadio). HDSDR is the best performing of the all the software, and connects up easy to the radio.

Overall, not a single gripe about this radio. I love it, and I am considering getting a second one. If you want a good SDR radio for a reasonable price the AFEDRI-Net is the way to go.