Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | AFEDRI SDR-NET Help

Reviews Summary for AFEDRI SDR-NET
AFEDRI SDR-NET Reviews: 15 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $~250
Description: Direct Sampling Software Defined Receiver
More info: http://www.4z5lv.net

You can write your own review of the AFEDRI SDR-NET.

K0INN Rating: 5/5 Apr 16, 2013 09:30 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful HF SDR. I'm delighted.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My first SDR. Very sensitive receiver. It hears everything my Kenwood TS590s does.

Construction and quality of the AFEDRI is first rate. I plan on connecting this SDR to my home network. That way I can monitor HF anywhere in my home via laptop and wireless network.

For software, I'm using HDSDR. It's great for use with the AFEDRI.

This is truly a great value. The performance of a great receiver for the price of a portable (of course you need to already own a computer with a sound card).

VOIDXAR Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2013 09:16 Send this review to a friend
Best value SDR out there  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
When I first heard about the AFEDRI I thought it was not the receiver for me, one of the main reasons was it did not have a front end bandpass filter and the ADC was only 12bit.

After reading a few reviews and taking to people on the AFEDRI yahoo group, I decided to take the plunge, and I have to say its one of the best $250 I have spent in years.

The receiver is simply great and a keeper, I really love the fact that it can connect to my network so I can use it from all my computers, it also has a USB connection that allows it to be used with software that needs a soundcard SDR like Winrad.

I can see 1.3Mhz of bandwidth with the network connection, which is perfect for "watching the band" for DX. The receiver does not have a front end bandpass filter, which has not been a problem for me and I live in a noisy RF home in the city.

I am building a bandpass filter to go along with the receiver, but from talking to people on the yahoo AFERDI group it does not make much of a change, maybe I just need an excuse to start another project.

In short if you have only around $300-$500 for a new receiver and like SDR's then give this radio a chance. Actually for under a $1000 I don't think there is a better buy in SDR.

K2DER Rating: 5/5 Aug 23, 2012 06:03 Send this review to a friend
AAA+   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I owned different model of SDR for RX purpose (SDR-IQ,FLEX,FIFI,PMSDR) now Iv had the Afedri SDR NET for a few weeks when took it out of the box first thing to my mind is not going to be good at all however hooked up to my Long wire antenna mainly monitor hf around the world.
Alex was always eager to help and quickly responded to all of my questions and via skype help me to solved all my problem after that WOWWWWW!!!astounding receiver for the price! Highly recommended

K2DER

N5XED Rating: 5/5 May 18, 2012 16:28 Send this review to a friend
Great SDR  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This SDR is the best one available for a features versus price, there is no competition that exists at this moment, period. I have been very pleased with it and the support from Alex, 4Z5LV has been excellent. I use mine as a 'fish finder' and it is a indispensable part of my station.

K3IT Rating: 5/5 May 13, 2012 15:55 Send this review to a friend
Great new direct sampling SDR  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
AFEDRI is one of the lesser known (for now) SDRs. It's a direct sampling modern receiver, which can send the I/Q stream either by USB or via an IP network (up to 1 MHz of bandwidth). There is no other receiver in this price range, as far as I know, with similar performance. The radio can be powered entirely by USB, or with an external power supply.

I must say that it took quite a bit to set up the receiver they way I wanted. Some of the configuration settings were not obvious (to me at least) and I could not avoid studying the manual! However, Alex was always eager to help and quickly responded to all of my questions. There is also a fairly new yahoo discussion group for this receiver.

The performance by spec "numbers" and subjectively is quite good. So far I was able to see on the screen every signal that I could hear from my transceiver (IC746). A variable RF gain amp is really useful on higher bands.

Afedri was very helpful in elbow fighting inside 7O and 6O pileups last week!

Payment (paypal) and shipping were hassle free. I ordered a version with the enclosure - very nicely done and compact!

If you are looking for a reasonably priced SDR with a "big gun" performance I don't think you will be disappointed in AFEDRI sdr-net.