Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | MFJ 2286 Big Stick Vertical Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ 2286 Big Stick Vertical Antenna
MFJ 2286 Big Stick Vertical Antenna Reviews: 30 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $$99.95
Description: For Top Portable Performance, Carry a "Big Stick"! Like our Big Ear, this
portable monopole features MFJ's rugged 17’ stainless-steel collapsible whip
paired with an adjustable high-Q air-wound coil. Efficiency matters, so it's not
surprising this winning combination stands head and shoulders above shorter
backpack antennas.

True Backpack Portability: Antenna is over 18 feet long fully extended, but
disassembles and collapses to 28” in seconds. Fits into most any size packs!

Light Weight: Just over 2 lbs. You'll hardly know your packing it!!!

Versatile: Includes MFJ-342T pipe mount -- quickly and easily mounts to a ¼
or ½ inch pipe or mast. SO-239 with lock washer feeds coax underneath the
⅜ - 24 connector.

General Coverage: Tapped loading coil covers 7.0-55.0 MHz without gaps.
Great for Ham Bands and outstanding for image-free shortwave broadcast!

Rugged Construction: All aluminum, stainless steel construction ensures years
of excellent performance. One Killowatt rated components guarantee
electrical safety.

Counterpoise kit included: Ensures low SWR, high efficiency, maximum site
safety.

BigStick™ is for the Ham radio operator on the move and on-the-go and
hungry for the next great QSO anywhere or anytime!
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-2286

You can write your own review of the MFJ 2286 Big Stick Vertical Antenna.

MM3IDR Rating: 2/5 Mar 27, 2017 23:30 Send this review to a friend
Not robust  Time owned: more than 12 months
I rated this 5 previously. Which it is in performance. But the sections are not robust for regular use. The lose grip between each other and end up having to be 'taped up'to prevent slip, or nipped up with pliers.

It isn't strong enough to survive reasonably strong winds without falling apart.

Okay for occasional use, but entirely hopeless for regular use.

KW4MG Rating: 4/5 Nov 14, 2016 10:01 Send this review to a friend
Pretty Good antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I use this with varying results. Haven't got good results ground mounted, but i have a connection on the middle of my roof, and (while parked) I've had great results. With this configuration. Last week I worked 366 stations in 3 hours. 47 of 48 contiguous states on 20 meters. QRZ said the bands were fair on that date. The reason for 4 rating is that I have to tape every section when I put it up vertically or it will collapse. I also have a second whip and have constructed a dipole from an article in May 2016 QST. The dipole at 35 feet on a telescoping fiberglass pole works very well also.

MM3IDR Rating: 5/5 Sep 2, 2016 13:29 Send this review to a friend
Really surprising.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Tried Hamsticks and a Buddipole from my favourite hill top /P location and the signal out was getting precisely nowhere, very disappointing. First time out with this I was getting contacts first time every time on 10 watts. MFJ make some good things and some bad things, quality control can be very variable. But, this particular antenna I couldn't recommend highly enough it just works and works brilliantly. It's such a bargain I have bought a few spares to back up. ONly wish they made more products quite as good as this one.

KE0Q Rating: 4/5 Jul 9, 2016 13:16 Send this review to a friend
Antenna has served me well  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had the MFJ-2286 for about 2 years. I use it as a portable antenna and the results have been extremely good. With it mounted on a chain-link fence at my mother-in-laws home in Kingman, AZ I have worked the world with 100 watts. At a lake in Northern Minnesota the performance has been great in a less than ideal location.

Does the antenna have its flaws? Yes! The wire and clip to change bands in poorly constructed so I replaced them and have had no problem. The mount could be a little beefier and able to accommodate a larger diameter pipe, but that problem is easily overcome by a little ham radio operator ingenuity.

I gave the antenna a 4. I would say the construction is probably about a 3 but, from my limited perspective, the performance is 5 considering that it is a portable antenna. The antenna continues to serve me well.

KG5CGN Rating: 2/5 Jul 8, 2016 19:02 Send this review to a friend
Typical MFJ Quality  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've purchased many products from MFJ... I'm not sure why I keep doing that, but I do!!! This antenna seems to be great at first sight. The stainless steel whip is fine as long as you are careful with it. (Not necessarily in a ham's nature). The coil and mount on the other hand are horrible. I tell myself that I'll never buy another MFJ product every time I get a piece of their gear, yet I keep throwing the dollars at 'em hoping they'll totally redeem themselves. It never happens... I hate having to "FIX" products before I even use them. It's a turd of an antenna system for anyone who has windy conditions and anyone who will be moving it on occasion... if you just install it and forget it, it may be ok. The whip is fine by itself... the coil and mount are paper weights!!!

K5XK Rating: 4/5 Jun 30, 2016 11:07 Send this review to a friend
Good Value, Surprising Results  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just back from visiting harmonics in Middle TN. Using a borrowed FT-817 QRP rig, I deployed the Big Stick per recommended installation. With suggested vertical lengths & inductor taps with the 4 provided radials, achieved 1:1 to 1:5 SWR. Despite the declining propagation, worked a page full of CONUS and DX stations in a few hours of leisure operation.

K1OIK Rating: 2/5 Jun 7, 2015 12:20 Send this review to a friend
Not portable  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
How can you say this fits in a backpack when you have to have a 1/2" pipe, a hammer to knock it in, really?

SM6XUN Rating: 4/5 Nov 15, 2014 00:44 Send this review to a friend
Great portable antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This antenna is very good when used as intended, add some more radials and you will have a great low weight portable vertical that wont break the bank.

When properly installed it covers 40m with low SWR, i dont need to use the radios internal ATU at all.

It does not replace a big fixed vertical but as a portable and temporary solution it is great,
for those with sensitive neighbours it is easy to collapse, remove and store in the shead daytime and bring it out when its dark again.

Dont let it get wet and then freeze during the winter, the ice will expand and most likely break the telescoping tubes.

Use the existing bunch of radials and make three copies, one for each bolt, that will give you 16 radials in total which is a good start and a minimum for really good performance.

KW4JA Rating: 5/5 Oct 30, 2014 11:30 Send this review to a friend
great one antenna choice  Time owned: more than 12 months
The big ear vertical works very well and I've made contacts to the far ends of the world. Usually I just put it on the roof of my car with a mag mount and put it in the trunk when not in use and when I drive. If neighbors protest I say what antenna. No one has said anything yet. Plus I work 40-6 meters and with a tuner length isn't critical. If I ever need to leave my current qth I know I can continue serious HF operating.

What more can you ask for for $99?

KG7DZK Rating: 5/5 May 19, 2014 20:56 Send this review to a friend
Still Going Strong  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had my Big Stick for about 10 months now. It's been on the ground twice, poor engineering of the mounting mast on my part, and still performs like a champ. In an HOA your antenna situation is always a compromise but even at that I recently got through a pile-up to the Slovak Republic on 20m at 75 watts with a 58 report. This antenna is a winner.