Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | TYT TH-UV3R Help

Reviews Summary for TYT TH-UV3R
TYT TH-UV3R Reviews: 11 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $69.99
Description: Micro Dual Band Ham Radio HT.

You can write your own review of the TYT TH-UV3R.

W4SNP Rating: 4/5 Dec 15, 2013 07:09 Send this review to a friend
Nice small HT but...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Nice small HT however when placed on my HP service monitor the high power output was 0.9 Watts not 2.0 Watts as advertised. I suspected this because of the cellular telephone like battery since those devices are less than 1 Watt. Receiver sensitivity was very good around -120 dBm as advertised and a lot of audio for its size. The knob on the top is for multiple functions with its primary 2 being on/off switch and frequency. Operation of using it in conjunction black side button for volume is a bit awkward because the it cannot be changed "on-the-fly" like with most HTs. If you looking for a pocket size HT to use at hamfests or other events this might be the one for you. Just remember if you attend an event like Dayton Hamvention you will most likely get clobbered by all the RF as like all the low-cost Chinese radios this one has wide receiver selectivity even narrow band mode. One last comment the programming software for this radio is the 20121019101555204_R25.rar not the one found on most US web sites. The original _R version gives the impression you cable is not working by the error msg. Also you need something like WinZip to unbundle it. I am looking at various radios for the new people in our club and this one is more advanced to use than the other brands especially since its Chinglish manual is in comprehensible at times even to me with land mobile radio experience. 73 and good luck.

W7DCF Rating: 4/5 Nov 2, 2013 15:51 Send this review to a friend
Small Form Factor   Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The strong asset of this radio is its small size. In comparison with the BaoFeng UV-3r this radio is more polished with a number of added features. If you are not very excited about the small size, I think there are better choices. I find that I use my UV-5r more than either the TYT or the BaoFeng UV-3r. The TYT eats batteries even when it is turned off. I find that the UV-5r meets my day to day needs better for battery and operational convenience.

N5LXI Rating: 4/5 Sep 18, 2013 23:24 Send this review to a friend
Update  Time owned: more than 12 months
It's still a pretty cool little, low-powered HT. The open source Chirp software is a HUGE improvement. Chirp is very easy to use and transfers data between different radios. I don't like the digital "stepped" audio on the radio, seems like it's either a little too soft or too loud. I mostly listen with it, but can hit area repeaters.

The battery will run down even if the radio is off. If must use a "soft" power switch. Charging time is somewhat slow. I bought a couple Nokia BL-6C batteries (made for a cell phone) from eBay cheap and it's not a problem now. Using it with one battery IS a problem.

In summary, with upgraded free software and a spare battery, the radio is fun and is working FB.

73, joel

YO3IDN Rating: 4/5 Aug 18, 2013 11:12 Send this review to a friend
Updated  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
After several months of light use I found that the transceiver is depleting the battery when not in use for few weeks, I have not messured how long it takes. (The same as Puxing-888). The ratting drops at 4.

AA1OF Rating: 3/5 Jun 27, 2013 02:00 Send this review to a friend
awkward  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
low cost, heard can be 2m 220 and 440. have not found anything saying fcc approved. was not able to program without getting the special cable. Recommend: download and read the manual (for free) first. If it all make sense to you then give it a try. Having the rig in my hand did not help it make sense to me and the online forum was not much help. seems to function ok but for me not intuitive, and found i have seldom used it.

WA9PUL Rating: 4/5 Oct 12, 2012 05:56 Send this review to a friend
Pretty darn good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this radio used at a local hamfest just to see what a $60 radio could do. And I am surprised to say that I am very happy with it. While there are a couple functions that are not very well explained in the manual, overall the programming is logical and fairly easy to figure out. Having the programming software and cable makes it even easier.

The receive audio is clear and can be reasonably loud. On my radio at least, the lowest volume setting is about the lowest I would ever need it. The transmit audio sounds good as well, and I like the compander feature, which compresses the audio. This makes mic placement less critical.

Plusses:

1. Nice, well lit display (although it is a little difficult to distinguish a "0" from an "8".

2. Logical single level menu structure with (mostly) clearly identified menu choices makes programming without the manual pretty easy after a quick read-through.

3. Number keys allow direct frequency input as well as providing direct feature entry. The second function of each number key is silkscreened on each key.

4. Decent battery life (> one day scanning and receive only).

5. Wide frequency range includes the FRS channels.

Minuses:

1. Single knob for volume and frequency is cumbersome and the detents are a bit stiff.

2. Side buttons (needed to access volume function) are stiffer than they need to be.

3. While most of the display is pretty good, the indicator showing which band is currently receiving is tiny and hard to see.

4. The programming software works fine but is pretty minimal. You cannot copy and paste large number of frequencies at the same time. You cannot move frequencies around. When programming repeaters, you have to manually enter the transmit frequency.... it is not calculated from the receive frequency and an offset.

5. The programming cable plugs into the radio's USB port but it is actually a USB to serial cable. Not a problem, except you have to figure out what com port it is emulating to set up the programming software... and this changes if you move it to a different USB port on your PC.

6. The speaker has a slight rattle at anything more than quiet room volume.

Yes, the minus column seems longer than the plus column ;) But I still find this a surprisingly good value for the money. If you are looking for a tiny dual band HT, this is not a bad choice.

Paul
WA9PUL

N8PMG Rating: 5/5 Sep 21, 2012 17:36 Send this review to a friend
Good value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the 2 meter/222 MHz version. The full keypad makes programming easier than the original UV-3R, and the antenna seems better than other small radios. Programming is way ahead of other Chinese radios, and the instructions are written better than other manuals. The FM is usable but not great. For the mid $50's price, it is a very good bargain. The USB charge using a standard mini cable is a great idea. The only improvement for me would be to have 440 MHz too.

N5LXI Rating: 4/5 Jun 28, 2012 22:35 Send this review to a friend
Update  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
You can program alpha tags with the software. I still find software is quirky. But it does work.

After a couple weeks, I'm happy with the little radio. I posted a little one page help sheet at http://www.n5lxi.com . It might help you get started, although the brief printed manual is pretty good.

73, joel / N5LXI in Dallas

M6DSK Rating: 5/5 Jun 15, 2012 10:57 Send this review to a friend
Software Does Work!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased this rig direct from China from a company I have dealt with numerous times and NEVER had a problem with. For 35 (about US$55) this rig is brilliant. In my opinion, it is built better than a Baofeng UV-3R(+), MUCH nicer to use than a UV-3R(+), accessories are inexpensive and audio reports, both on simplex and through repeaters here in the UK are very, very good.

Now, the supplied USB charging cable is what it is - it will not allow programming of the rig, it charges either the rig directly or charges batteries through the supplied desktop charger. To program this rig up you will need the latest version on the software - V9.01, which is free from tyt888.com and a 'Mini' USB Data Cable. Mine all work fine and YOU CAN ATTACH NAME TAGS TO ANY CHANNEL IN THE MEMORY YOU WISH. You just need to know how to use the software.
This 'shirt pocket' rig does everything you need and nothing you don't need and for the money, it's a throw away; having said that, once you use it and get to know it I believe you'll use it an awful lot. I even use mine through a Diamond X200 and get great results.
My recordingsfor HIGH POWER in the UK Amateur Bands (144-146MHz and 430-440MHz) are 1.8W and 1.6W repectively. As yet I haven't measured the low power settings, and to be truthful, don't really care at the moment.
In Conclusion:
Very happy and wouldn't hesitate to purchase another one.
TX Good;
RX Good;
Battery Life Good;
All Good, Good,Good.

IF YOU ARE THINKING ABOUT A BAOFENG UV-3R... THINK AGAIN AND SPEND AN EXTRA FIVER AND GET ONE OF THESE!!!!

N5LXI Rating: 4/5 Jun 12, 2012 02:26 Send this review to a friend
Solid  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
All HT's have their quirks, and so does this. The hardware seems quite solid and once you figure it out, it's not bad to use. The supplied duckie antenna is fine for the size. I'm working on a mini-guide which I will post on www.n5lxi.com soon. It will help new users.

After I downloaded updated software and a driver the USB cable works. It does not allow you to program alpha tags and a few other things as well. I found the best way to program it was a combination of the software and the radio itself, with a few uploads and downloads. At least you can backup your settings.

For listening (which I mostly do) and hitting some close repeaters it works great. It's cheap and cute. I have owned several tiny low power HT's. They all have compromises, but this is the best of the lot even without the low price.