Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | TYT TH-UV3R Help

Reviews Summary for TYT TH-UV3R
TYT TH-UV3R Reviews: 14 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $69.99
Description: Micro Dual Band Ham Radio HT.

You can write your own review of the TYT TH-UV3R.

N5LXI Rating: 4/5 Jun 28, 2012 22:35 Send this review to a friend
Update  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
You can program alpha tags with the software. I still find software is quirky. But it does work.

After a couple weeks, I'm happy with the little radio. I posted a little one page help sheet at http://www.n5lxi.com . It might help you get started, although the brief printed manual is pretty good.

73, joel / N5LXI in Dallas

M6DSK Rating: 5/5 Jun 15, 2012 10:57 Send this review to a friend
Software Does Work!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased this rig direct from China from a company I have dealt with numerous times and NEVER had a problem with. For 35 (about US$55) this rig is brilliant. In my opinion, it is built better than a Baofeng UV-3R(+), MUCH nicer to use than a UV-3R(+), accessories are inexpensive and audio reports, both on simplex and through repeaters here in the UK are very, very good.

Now, the supplied USB charging cable is what it is - it will not allow programming of the rig, it charges either the rig directly or charges batteries through the supplied desktop charger. To program this rig up you will need the latest version on the software - V9.01, which is free from tyt888.com and a 'Mini' USB Data Cable. Mine all work fine and YOU CAN ATTACH NAME TAGS TO ANY CHANNEL IN THE MEMORY YOU WISH. You just need to know how to use the software.
This 'shirt pocket' rig does everything you need and nothing you don't need and for the money, it's a throw away; having said that, once you use it and get to know it I believe you'll use it an awful lot. I even use mine through a Diamond X200 and get great results.
My recordingsfor HIGH POWER in the UK Amateur Bands (144-146MHz and 430-440MHz) are 1.8W and 1.6W repectively. As yet I haven't measured the low power settings, and to be truthful, don't really care at the moment.
In Conclusion:
Very happy and wouldn't hesitate to purchase another one.
TX Good;
RX Good;
Battery Life Good;
All Good, Good,Good.

IF YOU ARE THINKING ABOUT A BAOFENG UV-3R... THINK AGAIN AND SPEND AN EXTRA FIVER AND GET ONE OF THESE!!!!

N5LXI Rating: 4/5 Jun 12, 2012 02:26 Send this review to a friend
Solid  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
All HT's have their quirks, and so does this. The hardware seems quite solid and once you figure it out, it's not bad to use. The supplied duckie antenna is fine for the size. I'm working on a mini-guide which I will post on www.n5lxi.com soon. It will help new users.

After I downloaded updated software and a driver the USB cable works. It does not allow you to program alpha tags and a few other things as well. I found the best way to program it was a combination of the software and the radio itself, with a few uploads and downloads. At least you can backup your settings.

For listening (which I mostly do) and hitting some close repeaters it works great. It's cheap and cute. I have owned several tiny low power HT's. They all have compromises, but this is the best of the lot even without the low price.

W1MSH Rating: 5/5 May 3, 2012 22:34 Send this review to a friend
Tiny but solid - nice audio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This radio is very compact - smaller than my Yaesu VX-8r, but looks and feels sturdy and well made. Buttons are firm rubbery ones.

Using the built in voice prompts is probably a good idea while you're learning your way around the radio, but I ended up turning them off after about an hour because they seemed loud and at that point the beeps were as good as the words.

Any frequency the radio covers can be used in either the top or bottom screen position. (VHF/UHF, UHF/VHF, VHF/VHF, UHF/UHF)

With the manual handy, it didn't take long to program in a couple of repeaters I wanted to have in there. The manual is a little too brief, and they tend to draw the radio buttons in black with small white text that's hard to read, but I was able to muddle through without much delay.

The next day I added a couple more repeaters, and didn't need to consult the manual. It seems more intuitive than my Yaesu.

I was happy to see it uses a normal SMA connector for the antenna. (Same as the Yaesu)

It's available in black, red, and a couple variations of green. I went for the red one as I'm an amateur astronomer, and red is easier to find at night when I'm using a red light.

With the standard antenna I'm able to easily reach a repeater a few miles away from inside of my home. I was happy with that as I have aluminum siding under the vinyl siding and that cuts down on radio signals. When I hooked it up to a mobile antenna on my car I was able to reach a repeater that's several towns away.

The manual indicates power output is 2w. Most ads say 2.5w.

Audio is loud and clear.

The one glitch I've had is it's supposed to tune in the FM Broadcast band, and mine is totally deaf on those frequencies. It goes through the motions, but can't pick up anything. I don't know if this is a design flaw or a just a problem with my radio. (The US based dealer has responded appropriately)

I expect to get a lot of use from this radio. My Yaesu has more features, but this one is more convenient, and holding them side by side, it's hard to figure the TYT was less than 1/4 the cost.