Reviews Categories | QRP Radios (5 watts or less) | Hendricks KD1JV Weber Tri-Bander Help

Reviews Summary for Hendricks KD1JV Weber Tri-Bander
Hendricks KD1JV Weber Tri-Bander Reviews: 14 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $200
Description: Any 3 HF bands - 80-15 Meters
DDS VFO. 5-Watts on all bands
Digital Display. Built-in Memory Keyer
More info: http://www.qrpkits.com/tribander.html

You can write your own review of the Hendricks KD1JV Weber Tri-Bander.

JS6TMW Rating: 4/5 Dec 9, 2015 19:11 Send this review to a friend
A great product and great backup  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The performance of this tiny rig is awesome. Most previous reviews have noted the great stability, selectivity, and reliable 4-to-5-watt output. It was my first serious and miniature kit project and I did have a few problems, some of which were due to me and some to the the kit itself. However, the response from both James at Pacific Antenna and Steve Weber has been excellent. I built it for 20, 17, and 15 because the lower bands aren't so great here. For portable work its small size and weight make it so much fun, powered from a small Li-ion battery pack. I have enjoyed chasing DX and my best so far has been JA to LU on 5 watts into a simple antenna. One of the glitches was with the RIT but Steve Weber found a programming error and sent me a new Mega.

AG6QR Rating: 4/5 Jul 14, 2015 13:21 Send this review to a friend
One glitch, but otherwise very nice -- read below  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought my kit shortly after the qrpkits operation was taken over by the folks at Pacific Antenna. It was easy enough to assemble, and instructions were clear for those with some previous kit-building experience, but this might not be the best kit for a beginner to start on.

When I got it assembled, the first step in check-out was to verify that the voltage regulators were putting out the right voltage, even before inserting ICs in sockets. Mine failed, and one regulator was hot, indicating excess current draw. I spent much time looking for my mistake, and finally tracked it down to a pre-installed SMT part, the reference crystal oscillator, which was installed backwards before I got the kit. I e-mailed the folks at Pacific Antenna, and they were extremely apologetic and helpful, confirming the diagnosis. They offered to fix everything and complete the alignment and checkout, but once I was sure of the diagnosis, I preferred to repair it myself. They did mail me a spare oscillator part, in case the one with the kit had been damaged by having reverse power applied.

The rest of the assembly and checkout was straightforward, and the radio works very well. Basic, a few simple controls, filtering is suitably sharp and narrow for CW, digital tuning works well and covers all of the legal ham bands of interest (including SSB segments). This is not a toy radio, but a simple, rugged, compact, low power CW machine with good performance.

I give only 4 stars because of the frustrating difficulty I had with the part they installed wrong. I was ready to give 1 star at one point during the process. In fairness, I'd give them 5+ stars for the customer service experience after I notified them of the problem; they did a very good job there. I just wish the problem hadn't happened to begin with (though it WAS educational). I'd also give 5 stars for the performance of the finished radio. On balance, I wish there were a 4.5 star rating...

N6LQ Rating: 3/5 May 10, 2014 06:07 Send this review to a friend
Great Kit, Poor Customer Service  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Enjoyed putting this kit together, and the finished rig performs well. My only beef is that missing from my kit was the tilt bale and hardware, and 3 emails to qrpkits (to the email address provided for parts) over several months to get the missing parts replaced were met with complete and total silence. Hence, I cannot assign a higher rating. I don't expect an Elecraft level of customer service from all vendors, but it's unacceptable for a vendor to stonewall a customer.

KG6PB Rating: 4/5 Aug 17, 2013 09:24 Send this review to a friend
Solid little performer  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
After being away from amateur radio for a long time it was really fun to learn about the circuitry of this rig and then to build the kit. Except for a faulty ground connection from the band switch to the encoder case (my error), the rig worked flawlessly from the start.
I put up a 20 m dipole and started having fun. The rig's simple features such as keyer speed and memory, rit, and slow and fast tune are easy to use. I am surprised at the contacts I have made (US and DX) with five watts or so.
This has been a great way to get back into our hobby.

PA3BYW Rating: 5/5 Jul 22, 2013 14:20 Send this review to a friend
great QRP rig!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Here my review about the KD1JV Tribander, provided by Hendricks QRP Kits.
I have purchased the PFR3 kit a few years ago and I was impressed by the quality and the capabilities of the little rig. I decided to build another Hendricks kit.
So, I have bought the Weber Tribander kit a couple a months ago. The price was very reasonable. The kit arrived within one week here in the Netherlands.
I first counted all the part, one piece was missing: the tilt stand bale. After an email, Doug Hendricks provided the missing part and I received it within a week. Very good service Doug!
You can choose the ham bands you desire; I selected 80, 40 and 30 meters, my favorite bands.
Assembling the kit was no problem at all, it took me 2 days. The construction manual is very accurate. When assembling the band filter parts you have to be careful, read the precise instructions in the manual! The same thing about wiring the band switch.
It worked right away, output 5 to 7 Watts depending on the power supply voltage.
I connected my G5RV antenna and made several QSOs on all bands.
The receiver is based on the proven NE602/ LM386 combination. It is very sensitive and the crystal filter gives a good selectivity. The DDS VFO provides a very stable signal. I like the audio controlled ACG and love the tuning knob. The RIT is very convenient. You have the possibility to record your CQ but I have never used it, I am not a dx-er or a contester.
One thing I disliked was the annoying side tone. It is ok when you use your elbug with the build in keyer but I like to operate a sideswiper key, bug key or straight key as well. I didnt like the clicks and the sharp tone, so I decided to alter that part of the design. I removed the coupling capacitor to the amplifier section (C67) and replaced it with a small two section audio CW filter tuned for the 600Hz sidetone. You can find it on the web, search for:
PA0LQ cw audio filter.
That filter has four filter sections but I just used two of them. The result is a clean sounding sidetone.
On YouTube I have a video with both kit radios. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpiEfdUB-F0
This summer I took the two kit radios to my holiday camp site. I made fb QSOs on all possible bands with an end fed antenna up 4 meters.
Conclusion: a very fine QRP transceiver kit for three ham bands, reasonable priced and a good service by Hendricks QRP Kits.

72/ 73, Durk PA3BYW

2M0CFB Rating: 4/5 Mar 22, 2013 04:39 Send this review to a friend
Great value triband pick'n'mix  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First off, I think this kit is great value for money. It is stable due to the dds design and has the nice features you get with that and seems to have a pretty quiet rx.
The build went fine, maybe not best for your first kit but not difficult by any stretch of the imagination. Alignment is super-easy, after a couple of easy steps the rig was hearing cw and putting out between 4.5 and 5.5 watts on 15, 17 & 30m with my 11.1 volt lipo.
There seem to be some build snags on other tribanders out there, the band select switch is easy to wire up correctly. It helps to look at the way this works, the switch is doing 2 things: grounding the mega for logic control of the dds to the band you want and hitting the band switch relays with dc to latch them and select the correct lp filter. So you need both poles of the switch selecting the same band for a start, and you need to remember when the switch is in the middle you are default to the lowest band. It helps to test the switch for continuity in different toggle positions to work out where your transfers go on the case.
I painted my case yellow and attached the transfers, it looks the business now.
The bale stand and attaching pieces were missing, but Doug reponded to my email within 24 hours and is sending them out.
Thanks to Doug and Steve, good kit, good rig.
73.

HB9AFZ Rating: 4/5 Mar 5, 2013 10:46 Send this review to a friend
Compact and powerful  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
QRP 40/30/17m-Band works well: excellent image rejection and sensivity/selectivity.
TX power: 5W on all bands.
I have problems with the tune, perhaps rotary encoder is defective (or ATM processor)? The tune is no longer possible.

NG9D Rating: 5/5 Feb 17, 2013 09:22 Send this review to a friend
Hear the TriBander   Time owned: months
When I heard Paul/N0NBD in Humboldt, KS calling CQ on 30 meters with his new TriBander I thought it would be a perfect chance to record its fine signal! I built a Hendricks PFR-3A, so I know what nice radios Steven Weber designs. If you want to hear the TriBander, as received on YouKits HB-1B on afternoon 750km single hop E-layer propagation path, here is the link: http://youtu.be/4eYsYSdlx6k
73 de Lynn/NG9D

AE7RF Rating: 4/5 Nov 17, 2012 20:50 Send this review to a friend
fun small radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My notes echo those before me. Overall the kit went together well. I was also missing a 47ufd electrolytic capacitor, and it came with an extra disk cap of the same size that wasn't used. No "tune" decal. The power plug was a round panel mount instead of the square board mount. I had to reverse the wires going to the band select relays (bb and bc), it was an obvious find while tuning up the BP filters. I haven't gotten a response back from the parts@qrpkits.com e-mail, but the parts were only a couple bucks so got them from a local supplier. Oh, and don't assemble everything nice and tight until the very end, you have to remove the board from the enclosure to install the L7 toroid after testing the receiver. All done and working as advertised. I like it, good filter width and easy controls. If you want a speaker it will have to be amplified somehow to get any volume out of it, I tried a few small ones (.1 to 1 watt), but headphones sound great.

ND6P Rating: 5/5 Oct 27, 2012 15:03 Send this review to a friend
Optimized for CW  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Mine was missing one part, an electrolytic capacitor that I picked up locally. And the power socket that came with mine was not the one I wanted. I picked up a PC board mount power socket that fit the square opening in the rear panel and installed that instead. The one that arrived with the unit was a panel mount type and it didn't fit in the square opening very well.

I painted my cabinet two tone blue, using a light tone for the front panel and a dark tone for the cover. The decals went on easy enough and I am pleased with how it came out. It's a very nice looking radio.

I took my time building and installed all the parts before turning it on the first time. Only problem I ran into is I needed to reverse the relay wires on the band switch to get bands B and C working. My three bands are 40, 30, and 20 meters.

My other QRP rig is an Elecraft KX1. It has SSB RX that is nice to have, but comes as a compromise to its CW capability. The Weber is optimized for CW only. I'll be keeping both.

Jim/ND6P