Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | LDG AT-200 PRO II Antenna Tuner Help

Reviews Summary for LDG AT-200 PRO II Antenna Tuner
LDG AT-200 PRO II Antenna Tuner Reviews: 18 Average rating: 3.5/5 MSRP: $259.00
Description:
5 to 250 watts SSB and CW. (100 watts on 6M)
Easy to read LED bargraph display for RF power, SWR and status
LEDs for Antenna Position and Bypass

4,000 memories (2000 for each antenna) for instantaneous band changing
Two position antenna switch with memories for four antennas on each position
Tuning time: 0.5 to 6 seconds full tune, < 0.1 second memory tune
Built in frequency counter for memory operation
Frequency coverage: 1.8 to 54.0 MHz.
Tunes 6 to 800 ohm loads (16 to 150 ohms on 6M), 6 to 3600 ohms with optional 4:1 Balun (LDG RBA 4-1)
For Dipoles, Verticals, Vees, Beams or and Coax Fed Antenna
Optional external Balun allows tuning of random length, long wire or ladder line fed antennas
Includes 6' DC power cable

Power requirements: 11 to 16 volts DC at 750 mA max during tuning
www.Jameco.com WM1024-760 and 1953663 are compatible power supplies

Enclosure: 9.5D x 7.1W x 2.0H inches
Weight: 2 pounds
More info: http://www.ldgelectronics.com

You can write your own review of the LDG AT-200 PRO II Antenna Tuner.

LA2NI Rating: 4/5 May 15, 2016 05:25 Send this review to a friend
After repair, the tuner works fine!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had different LDG tuners before and I have been very satisfied with all of them. The first I built from a kit (AT11 v/2.4A) and used for many years and the same with a QRP tuner. But when I started to use the AT-200 PROII I felt that something was wrong. After a tuning sequency, when I started to talk into the mike, the tuner started to tune even with a perfect match. This was in AUTO and on the lower bands, 160, 80 and 40 meter.I decided to try to find out what was wrong. When I connecter the tuner to a good dummy load, I could zero the reflected power on higher frequencies but not on the lower bands. I found 2 faults: The resistor across the capacitive voltage divider in the bridge was only 1,5KOhm. Normally it is 3,3 KOhm or larger. When I replaced it with a 3,3KOhm, the zero improved on 40 meter but still not good on 160 and 80 meter. I then removed T1 and measured the inductance and it measured 12uH with the two bifilar 10 turns in series. I then wound 10 turns bifilar on a FT-37-43. This is the same size as the original core. It measured 160 uH. After installing this core into the bridge, the zeroing worked perfect on all bands and now the tuner does not start tuning when I run full 250W SSB on all bands.
I believe that a wrong core and 1,5KOhm resistor has been installed during manufacturing and it is possible that a lot of tuners have this fault. If the tuner is adjusted and tested on 30 MHz the fault is not seen.
I hope this can be to some help for others if they have problems with the tuner "going mad" when using SSB!
After this repair, the tuner works just as expected!

SP5MFK Rating: 4/5 May 2, 2016 02:35 Send this review to a friend
does the job  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The tuner does fine job of matching even the stupidest loads to my FT-897D, within physics boundaries of course. it nicely switches itself to bypass when detects that i am operating on design frequency of my antenna and in general RF-wise i have no problems with the product.

It is however unbelievably noisy and it is no joke that it can wake up your family members.

The first tune of a poorly matched antenna also seems to take longer than expected. It seem that the tuning algorithm is flawed as at times it seems to hit low SWR early in the process (as crosschecked on an external meter) but then keeps cycling the caps and inductors only to provide series pf marginal results and finally reverting to combo discovered within first 3secs of tune. a 15 seconds of extra unnecessary rattling in your shack.

OE3SGU Rating: 2/5 Feb 20, 2016 01:38 Send this review to a friend
update   Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I used the 200 pro II on my last vacation in DU1. No chance to tune my 1/2 size G5RV on 20 meters. In 2009 I used the original AT-200 on the very same antenna and location without any problems. Out of interest I performed some tests at my stealth setup in OE1. This thing could not even tune my wires on some bands while the internal (!) tuner of the IC-7600 had no problem at all! This is not what you expect from an external ATU. It seems that LDG products are getting worse. I really liked them before, but this was probably my last LDG ever, I had a small issue with another LDG product and the service was very bad, the owner of that company is very arrogant and does not deserve my business. Unfortunately this happens with some companies. Once they are getting bigger and doing fine business they don't care anymore. I finally sold the 200 pro II and will use my trusty manual Palstar tuners instead.

KF6KXG Rating: 2/5 Aug 4, 2015 11:08 Send this review to a friend
Not as Good as the original pro  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have tried both the original Pro and the Pro II. I returned the ProII.
It is more sensitive to stray RF and will not tune to as low a SWR as my original Pro. It has a few more features like 2 added LEDs to tell the ant in use and if it is in bypass plus it has more diagnostic readouts on the two LED strips. Even taking that into account, I wish they would go back to the original tuning algorithm.
Another problem that I have with the company is that while Dwayne will promptly answer email tech questions, I prefer talking on the phone to get help. For this reason alone, I will probably look elsewhere when my original Pro needs replacement.

ZS5J Rating: 4/5 Jun 10, 2015 01:25 Send this review to a friend
Noisy   Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this ATU from AES in Orlando while on a trip there. Initially I bought the lower powered AT-100 PRO II, but after looking at the price difference to this higher powered one, I went back to the store the next morning and asked them to swop it out for this higher powered ATU. For only $ 20.00 more, it is a no brainer to rather buy this one and have higher rated components.
I have a love/hate relationship with this ATU. They have VERY noisy relays. But it tunes just fine. The other problem with this ATU is the SWR sampling method using LED's is VERY inaccurate. I have an accurate LP digital vector power/SWR meter and a host of other analysers etc, and this ATU is very inaccurate. It may show an SWR of over 2:1, when it is actually 1.1:1. But it does the job of tuning just fine....just be prepared to warn other members of your house and neighbours, when they hear a jackhammer in your shack

KC1CJN Rating: 5/5 Jun 9, 2015 17:15 Send this review to a friend
Great ATU  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have run this with my FT-897D and G5RV, Buddipole and TWAntenna, with great success. I have it on a OCF stealth random-wire dipole with 4:1 balun now, powered by a FT-817ND and SignaLink USB at 1W with WSPR. It remembers the full manual tune-up optimum on each band, and rapidly hits lowest SWR in < 2sec (under SWR = 1.5 for 10-40m).

Inside, all solder joints are clean, and layout is well organized. An excellent bit of hardware, and very versatile! Other tuners include LDG Z-817, LDG RT/RC-100 and Palstar AT2K. Good info to be had at W4RT http://www.w4rt.com/LDG/LDG%20memory.pdf

VK6IS Rating: 4/5 Jan 31, 2015 21:57 Send this review to a friend
works well  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This tuner is similar to the AT-100 Pro II, except for the power handling capacity which is 250 watts SSB/CW.
But, this was a replacement for another unit, the Z-11Pro11.

Likewise with the AT-100 Pro II, the tuning process is quite noisy. However, once the tuner learns the correct settings,
it hardly ever has to tune, unless you want it to. The memory tuning function is very effective, as well as quiet.

Even though the AT-200 Pro11 is rated to 250W, - that rating is not continuous.

KK4DDM Rating: 5/5 Jun 23, 2014 08:40 Send this review to a friend
Great for beginners  Time owned: more than 12 months
Please note, this is the only tuner I have ever owned so take my review with a grain of salt. I have a feeling that I damaged the device myself and ended up sending it back to LDG after 2.5 years of trusty service. LDG replaced the unit for me after an 8 week wait. I used it with a Yaesu FT-450D set to 100 W except for PSK which I normally run at 40 W. I have a fan dipole strung up for 10m to 80m. I never used any of the buttons on the front. I never used a manual tuner but with this tuner it was 100% auto.

W4DRH Rating: 5/5 Nov 7, 2013 21:29 Send this review to a friend
Happy c tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had one and my brother has one both for TS-480HX. Seems to work as advertised. The software adjustments are hard to remember without a cheat sheet. I would buy it again.

KC4CQS Rating: 2/5 Sep 29, 2013 10:09 Send this review to a friend
Won't handle the 200 Watts  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Went back to using my LDG-100 Pro due the fact of the incorrect power rating of the "Tuner". I detected a smell when I accidently keyed the Xmtr. of my 950 on FM at 100 Watts. I adjusted the xmtr. and decided to remove the cover of the AT-200. To my surprise one of the toroids covered in a protective wax type coating had partially liquified. So now I have a tuner that doesn't tune nearly the loads of the older AT-100 PRO. Yes, I adjusted that to closely match the 100 PRO but before you adjust anything take "Close up "digital pics" of the original position of adjustment points "before the adjustments" if your luck was not as good as mine. Don't trust this tuner at 200W as mine visibly bubbled at 100 Watts on FM in only seconds. Guess you would call that partial duty cycle. I just had to see it and it boiled away! Your results may vary. Sorry, 73!