Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Radiowavz EFH 40/20/10 M End Fed Half Wave Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Radiowavz EFH 40/20/10 M End Fed Half Wave Antenna
Reviews: 1 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $89.95
Description: Radiowavz EFH 40/20/10 M End Fed Half Wave Antenna

You can write your own review of the Radiowavz EFH 40/20/10 M End Fed Half Wave Antenna.

WB1AAT Rating: 4/5 May 16, 2012 11:53 Send this review to a friend
Great performer but awkward matchbox config and rough direction  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I like Radiowavz, being very happy with my DX80 OCF Windom.
This antenna seems to be extremely similar to the PAR End Fez 10/20/40 antenna (I have this one too). A matchbox with SO238 on the end, a 20M radiator, followed by a choke, followed by a length of wire to make it work on 40M. Its about the same size as the PAR coiled up and would be easy to tote along for portable operation. The poly coating on the wire seems a little thicker though. One big difference from the PAR though. This is rated at 100W PEP versus the 25W rating of the PAR.
Let me start with the plus. It tuned up easily. No adjustments needed on 20 or 10 and only a little shortening on 40M. I didnít cut wire, just folded it back as I may use this antenna in a different place later and I didnít have to resort to the using the stubs. For now, its up a tree with the bottom 10 ft off the ground. It works very well, comparing favorably (one S unit or better) over my dipoles on 20 and 40 when the DX is in. Difference is less pronounced when bands are not as good. The goodness of this kind of antenna is that you can get low take off by easily going vertical as I did and only have to worry about one tie point. All in all a good performer and unlike my PAR which will be in my go bag, this one will be up permanently so I can use more power. So far seems to be handling 100W easily.
Now the negatives. The documentation is a bit rough, talking about having to attach to the crimp connectors, using shrink tubing, and such. I didnít need any of that since it was all pre-assembled. Thatís easier, but not consistent with the docs. The matchbox end is also built a little oddly. It seems to be built for something like hotel operation where you attach your coax and drop the wire from the balcony. But for vertical operation, you end up with a skewed configuration with the coax coming in from the top (not bottom where youíd expect) and the wire being pulled at 60 degrees away from the matchbox. I could see this was really stressing the wire connector and Iím certain it wouldnít last long in the wind or under pressure. I got creative a bit by flipping the matchbox tie point upside down and using tie wraps to hold the matchbox in line with the wire and to snug the wire against the matchbox to relieve the stress. Iím a lot less paranoid about it breaking now. I would buy another one despite the oddness.