Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | Hamsphere Help

Reviews Summary for Hamsphere
Hamsphere Reviews: 17 Average rating: 3.6/5 MSRP: $30 to start and Free after Award
Description: HamSphere is a virtual shortwave tranceiver client that works in Windows, Linux or Mac or any other Java driven system. It is a communication system simulating shortwave propagations over a virtual Ionosphere much like CQ100. The system is based on SDR (Software Defined Radio) technology such as digital local oscillators, filters, balanced mixers, carrier wave suppressors, modulators etc.

The system uses big servers in continents such as Europe, North America and Australia to generate the virtual simulated radio world of HamSphere.

Operators using HamSphere will get the look and feel of a real Ham Radio shortwave Transceiver and the system is suitable for both licensed Ham Radio operators as well as radio enthusiasts.

Hamsphere users are able to Log Contacts and exchange QSL cards in real time right through the transceiver. A Bonus is the Awards Program for DX Contacts that allows users to work up to a Free Life Membership.
More info: http://www.hamsphere.com

You can write your own review of the Hamsphere .

W3ATT Rating: 5/5 Apr 15, 2017 10:19 Send this review to a friend
4.0 -Awesome Concept  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My review is for Hamsphere 4.0 (HS4.) Trying HS3 was a bit like an Internet chat room where you can choose your contact. No matter where they were in the world, no matter what band, the qso was possible. Not like real radio.

Now onto HS4... Amazing real time propagation from Voacap website. In other words, if 10 meters is closed in the real world, 10 meters will be closed in HS4. And the ability to switch antennas and aim directly at your receiving station is just cool. I watch my s-meter and hear the signal go weaker when I rotate my antennas, just like the real thing.

About the cost? If you can't afford 32 bucks, then ham radio isn't for you anyway. Hams spend THOUSANDS on radio gear, tuners, power supplies, antennas, cables, mic's, etc, etc, etc!! How can anyone complain about 30 euros?? The system uses multiple servers world wide and has a staff of people to program and develop it to make it work. (it ain't gonna be FREE..)

I've met so many great people on HS4 (and HS3,) but I prefer the realism of HS4. These operators are just great to talk with. And you can take it anywhere! You can load it on as many computers as you want (although it will ONLY work on one at a time (prevents sharing of accounts.)) I have it loaded in my laptop and will go with me wherever I go.

I will also use this as a great training tool for my nephew to help him to learn proper operating procedures when on air.

Kudos to who ever thought of adding real time propagation to Hamsphere. It really makes an "ok" thing really good.

I hope for a good future in Hamsphere. And some day the bands will be hopping with lots of activity. Can't wait to see what developments come along too!

EA6VY Rating: 5/5 Mar 22, 2017 05:58 Send this review to a friend
Brought my ham passion back  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm very new to Hamsphere and to this site (hello everyone). I'm a ham licensed since 1980, for about 20 years, due to getting married, new home and kids, sold all the equipment and quit from the hamworld for almost 20 years. One day, I don't remember how, came across and found Hamsphere. Interesting enough, wanted to give it a try.

I've been using it for a month and the simulation of a real rig is amazing, You get most of the good things of real radio, without almost any of the bad ones. Like everything in life it has it's pros and cons. The man who figured out how to bring up something like this is a genius IMO.

So all I can say is: THANK YOU Hamsphere for bringing my passion back. I may even one day in the near future buy new equipment, go back to the real thing and share my time on both worlds.

EA6VY Luis (Balearic Islands)

KT8DX Rating: 0/5 Sep 5, 2016 09:34 Send this review to a friend
Doesn't work - unethical company  Time owned: more than 12 months
I tried Hamsphere for a year. No luck getting it to work on my Microsoft Surface Pro. Support tickets were unanswered with other than an acknowledgement that it was received. I cancelled and told "RingJoeBing Enterprises" I did not want to renew and they renewed me anyway, stealing my money for another year.

I contacted them - still no response. In my opinion the are an unethical company that charges for a product that doesn't work. Even on an old machine where I did get it to work - the "bands" were a ghosttown. No one there.

Save your money.

Bob KT8DX

N7XLR Rating: 2/5 Jun 20, 2016 00:00 Send this review to a friend
not for Windows 10  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I got both versions when I had windows 7. 3.0 always worked better than 4.0. No way was I going to sink all that money into a simulation. I could be spending it on real equipment. I liked 3.0 to begin with, it was cheap and it worked. But after upgrading to Windows 10, it no longer works right. All I get is background noise, and when I do find a signal it is so garbled I can't understand what they are saying. I won't be resubscribing to Hamsphere.

HAMMYGUY Rating: 0/5 Jul 6, 2015 17:07 Send this review to a friend
Save your money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been watching Hamsphere develope over the years and finally like a sucker took the plunge to subscribe for a year. What a waste of $32US.

What is really irrating is that what you hear on the Android version is NOT what you'll hear on version 3.0 or 4.009. It sounds like different servers are being used, but the "live cluster" on 3.0 does show the same stations as Android so I'm assuming that I need to buy more "antennas" to be able hear them as the previous reviewer noted. Additional "equipment" is not supported on the current Android version which obviously is coming and then it will be just like the PC version version which is hearing nothing.

"Equipment" you can purchase include handles, Yagi's (at an average cost of $44!), handles, buttons, cover plates, antenna controls, instrument, s-meters, interactive tools, and instruments. There are very few freebies and most of it costs plenty.

Like a wrecked old car, it appears the new modeling for this junker is to keep pouring money into new "equipment" to be able to hear all users. I'll admit I made a mistake buying into this turkey, but you'll get nothing but a laugh if you think I'm pouring anymore dollars into a lemon. This might be OK for some users who are home bound, but the new business model of milking users for every little extra will do nothing but ultimately chase them away.

VE8AP Rating: 2/5 Jun 17, 2015 06:56 Send this review to a friend
Not impressed  Time owned: more than 12 months
I paid for Hamsphere and worked great and I understand it's a business have to make money but now the new version's if you want to have a QSO you have to upgrade your antenna's and more Too much for this fellow and more money to do so i could just use echo link

OE5AKM Rating: 5/5 Nov 5, 2014 03:06 Send this review to a friend
Simply the best!  Time owned: more than 12 months
ARoIP (Amateur Radio over Internet Protocol) at it's best!

73, Alfred, OE5AKM

KK4OAB Rating: 5/5 Jul 1, 2014 14:35 Send this review to a friend
Excellent on all fronts  Time owned: more than 12 months
I hold a General ticket in FL and have been on Hamsphere since Jan of 2014. I accept the fact that it is not "real radio", however I have a hard time finding out what real radio is limited to. Hamsphere does everything my TS2000 does so I guess it is at least a form of real radio. Some of my Ham club members poo poo it or just refuse to discuss it. I am not sure if their Ham egos are so fragile that they cannot stand progress. And yes, it is progress, just like PSK or FLDigi, or SDR is. Phone was a great leap over CW, but I betcha there were the same negatives voiced there too. Then when CW was dropped as a licensing requirement, the same bunch hollered. To me I cannot see limiting my Amateur Radio experience to conform to someone else's concept of communication. I am sort of an oddity...I am 79 years old but only a Ham for only 18 months and I sure wish I had been using Hamsphere as a protocol teacher if nothing else. I am not a contestor, but a rag-chewer and Hamsphere is the perfect medium for this. No weather worries, no propagation problems, no sun spots; just plain turn it on and begin chatting with other Hams around the globe, something my HF antennas will not let me do. And that to me is what Amateur Radio is all about. No restrictions other than the FCC stuff. Ham Radio must be a fun hobby or find something else that is. I can use Hamsphere from my motel room...bet you can't with your HF. Or from a Condo or Retirement Home...try putting up an antenna. So, relax and enjoy yet one more option in our wonderful hobby. Try it free for 5 days and if it is not for you...cancel out. But don't tell someone else what they should enjoy.

AB9PM Rating: 5/5 Aug 6, 2013 14:26 Send this review to a friend
Good option  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have read all the reviews and they follow most of the average thinking hams in America. Not radio, my right to free speech, of course no one else has rights, and bring back 50 wpm morse code, in short, backward looking people who cannot accept change or diversity.

I find Hamsphere quite interesting. They do have what appears to be a client base all over the world. Yes there are unlicensed personnel using the system. I think it is a good tool and learning grounds for future amateurs. One of the most positive aspects with the system, anyone with broadband coverage, can access the system that has a restrictive living environment, whether it is no antennas, or living in a nursing home.

I have started using it, and maybe my thoughts will change in a year, but for now I will give the wheels of progress a try. Operators are quite polite, as most foreigners are, however the system is moderated and some person's antics that occur on the real ham bands will not be tolerated here. Can there be an issue with an operator not following accepted Amateur protocol, sure, but we know that NEVER happens on the real bands does it?

If you have a complete unrestricted station on hf would I tell you to switch to Hamsphere, no I wouldn't, you would always feel cheated, but when you are faced with limited options it is worth a reasonable try. If you have an amateur friend who has come into a restricted environment, you may supplement your station with this program so you can keep in contact with him. You never know, your day may come also. Non-licensed persons are trying to learn protocol, and you can mentor them.

I have found far more persons using the system than CQ 100. Certain US times will have what appears to be low usage of the system, but as areas of world wake up the system really takes off. For the cost of $40 per year US, most Americans throw that much away needlessly away in a week.

Give it a try and see what you think, but only if you have an open mind! I'll give it a year and see what I think.

KA4PNV Rating: 5/5 Jul 16, 2013 09:40 Send this review to a friend
Hamsphere Rocks  Time owned: months
I use Hamsphere and CQ100 Virtual Transceivers
AKA SDRadio'along with ramotehams.com software.
No doubt Hamsphere leaves them in the dust as
far as users and ease of performance.For instance before the writing of this message I checked CQ100 there were only 4 users on all bands,This is pretty common most of the time,seems like they all gone.Hamsphere 193 users 30 Hams 12 US and there
the rest of them.I have worked PSK31 RTTY.
Its good to have the best of both worlds Virtual and Authentic I have them both.It's all in the theater of the mind ka4pnv.com 73's