Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Yaesu FT-650 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-650
Yaesu FT-650 Reviews: 18 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $1200.00
Description: 12, 10 and 6 meters transceiver
More info: http://www.rigpix.com/yaesu/ft650.htm

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-650.

M3TZJ Rating: 5/5 Jul 29, 2017 01:33 Send this review to a friend
Super 6m transceiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
The receiver on this radio is just awesome. I never have to use the pre amp. The noise blanker and notch filter both work well. Ive never had a bad audio report with the standard mike or my heil hand mic. It does get warm when used with internal psu so give it some breathing space. Finally it also looks a great match sat next to my beloved FT-990

VK3ZAZ Rating: 5/5 Jun 13, 2017 02:13 Send this review to a friend
Brilliant  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my second radio a jdm ft655 picked up at SERG swap meet with the optional ace power supply. Price was half what .I paid for my first unit in 2000 which I used on Xmas Island to work nearly 50 countries on 6 metres. The receiver is exceptional on these radio without preamp turned on. I can hear VK5RBV at 450 km in and out if the noise and it compares well with my ft2000 and the eastern microwave preamp. Radio runs 100 watts easily and I seem to recall will go to 150 pep. Volume pit us scratchy and I had trouble finding online handbook and even harder to cat interface it now the fif232 is nla. So I bought the interface from Radio Arena in U.K.

W4KVW Rating: 5/5 May 1, 2009 13:18 Send this review to a friend
VERY NICE RIG!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
FIRST off let me say,"I'm an ICOM MAN" but I REALLY like this little rig.It does a GREAT job with NO MENU system.It has few bells & whistles but performs well the optional built in power supply was a NICE little addition as well.Has very good ears & nice audio.I do NOT know why YAESU stopped making this rig or why they made so FEW?Seems as if they would have just added 6 meters to the FT-990 & they would have never had a reason to build this rig.It has TRIPLE CONVERSION just like the FT-990 & FT-1000D for a solid front end.I have owned the FT-990 & the FT-650 & they are the ONLY YAESU rigs I EVER owned that I REALLY enjoyed operating!So take it for what it's worth from an ALL "ICOM" user!If you own one of these rigs you know what I am saying!
RARE piece of gear & EASY to operate.

N8ERM Rating: 3/5 Mar 2, 2008 13:02 Send this review to a friend
average performer at best  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hummmm,
Lets look at the rig on the IFR service monitor. Checked against the IC-756 pro. The pro has a much better receiver. The TS-2000 does also. Looking at The IC-746 the receiver is better also. If you are really interested look at http://www.sherweng.com/table.html and judge for your self.

DK3HV Rating: 5/5 Jul 16, 2006 04:47 Send this review to a friend
One of the best for 6m  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have the FT-650 just beside my FT1000D to work as the "little brother" on 6m. And he is doing a great job. I still love to use the radio because of the great rx. The tx audio works with my Heil HM10.
So I agree with one of the other reviews... a radio you should never give away.

Greetings

Hanno, DK3HV

VE3IKV Rating: 5/5 Dec 12, 2004 13:05 Send this review to a friend
Awesome 6 meter rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
Worked across the atlantic on six meters last summer from the mobile via multi-hop sporadic-E using the FT-650 and a 55 inch whip - F6FHP and CT1HZE! The triple-conversion receiver will hear just about anything and the 100 watt output TX rocks on SSB. The built-in speech processor is a winner, and the noise blanker and low-noise preamplifier round out the package perfectly. Still investigating retrofitting some brighter 7-segment LEDs for the frequency readout, otherwise perfect!

VR2SA Rating: 5/5 Sep 15, 2004 03:07 Send this review to a friend
Quiet Receiver and selectivity is excellent !  Time owned: more than 12 months
Owner of the Radio for than 5 years ! Connect to a 6 elements Yagi at around 15m above the ground. Always have the early opening and late colsing of the 6m DX opening. Quiet receiver for the Analogue type- but not as good as those modern DSP Receiver - such as Icom IC-756 Pro 2 etc. Selectivity is excellent for CW operation and it is very sure the good RF technology transfer from FT-1000D. It is the 6m radio to be kept forever for your life time 6m DX chasing ! Buy one if you can get - either from brand new or second hand market !

VR2SA Alfred Kwok

K7VO Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2003 22:25 Send this review to a friend
Probably the best 6m rig I've owned  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've owned the Icom IC-575H, IC-551D, and a host of lesser known or less well regarded 6m radios. The best of the bunch for me was the FT-650. It has a very sensitive receiver, good selectivity, and a lot of convenience features. 100W on 6, 10, and 12 meters with a built in power supply makes it quite the complete and reasonably compact package. This rig shares a lot of technology with the FT-990 and FT-1000 and it shows.

I was introduced to this rig when a friend brought his to Field Day for the 6m station. The reeciver held up on both 6m and HF in demanding multi-op conditions.

I sold mine when finances were tight. I'd love to find another at a decent price.

JA7UDE Rating: 5/5 Jul 18, 2003 21:49 Send this review to a friend
Best  Time owned: more than 12 months
FT-650, also known as FT-655 in the JA market, is the best of the best 6m transceiver ever. I can easily dig out very weak signals, which I couldn't even hear with the other transceivers. I will never let mine go.

73 de JA7UDE Oba

KD5NMI Rating: 5/5 Jul 18, 2003 13:43 Send this review to a friend
The BEST for 6m/10m/12m  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have to agree with the previous Reviews, this is basically an FT-1000 that covers 24.5mhz thru 54mhz!

The Triple Conversion Receiver is very Hot and Selective, and the Receive Features: Notch Filter, multiply Bandwidths, IF shift, ATTN, Pre-Amp, etc., all works Great!

On the Transmit side, with 100+ Watts out, and the Speech Processor (no distortion), I get GREAT Audio reports, every time I make a contact.

I have too many rigs and I started to sell the FT-650 on eBay ... THEN I WOKE UP ... in time to cancel the Auction before someone grabbed the Jewel ...