Reviews Categories | Headphones & Boom-mic Headsets | Heil Pro Set 3 Stereo Headphones Help

Reviews Summary for Heil Pro Set 3 Stereo Headphones
Reviews: 7 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $$109
Description: stereo compact headphones
More info: http://www.heilsound.com/

You can write your own review of the Heil Pro Set 3 Stereo Headphones.

KB1NXE Rating: 4/5 Jan 7, 2013 18:03 Send this review to a friend
Good, but pricy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Heil Pro Set 3 are Headphones. No mic included. They come with 3 different locking cable for you to choose for your operating style and location. A Coiled cable that has generous proportions, a 6' cable terminated with a 1/8" plug and another 6' cable for an iWhatever. A 1/8" to 1/4" adapter is included. Cables lock into the headphones with a bayonet type twisting action. Like a camera lens.

Audio quality is not HiFi, but then neither is SSB/AM/FM or any other modes you'd listen to. For listening to your radio output or if you don't expect them to sound like a kilobuck pair of Sennheisers, they'll do. I would not use them to listen to good audio media. For voice grade audio they are very intelligible and their response is fairly flat in those ranges.

They appear to be very well made with adequate padding and are comfortable to wear. Distance between ears is adjusted by bending the steel strap in the padded headband to less or more of a circumference to fit your head. Length is adequate for even those with the largest of heads. These are 'on the ear' headphones and if you don't like that style, these are not for you. They do an adequate job of blocking out background noise, but if your spouse is calling for dinner, you can expect to hear that! All except the loudest fan noise should be inaudible by the wearer.

About the only 'Con' I can come up with for use with Ham Radio is there is no way to lock in your adjustments. In particular the length adjustment. A simple ratchet mechanism is all that is used to try and hold the position from wear to wear. The spring is not even close to being adequate to hold the position as soon as you remove them (or during removal) from your head.

Solid performers, as expected from Heil and their service and support has value as well. Just not a solid 5 set of phones.

WB9AZA Rating: 5/5 Dec 29, 2012 13:30 Send this review to a friend
Review Update  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
In May of 2012 I reviewed the ProSet 3 headphones and commented that they were uncomfortable to wear.
What I did not know at the time head band adjustment meant BENDING the steel band. I have since done so with a new pair of Bobs headphones and they fit perfectly along with their great frequency response they rate a five.
A big thanks to Mr Heil for "showing me the way" and he gets his cigar.

KC9UNL Rating: 5/5 Dec 23, 2012 07:58 Send this review to a friend
Great Headphones  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought these headphones even though there were some reviews that did not sound very good. Well- - these are great. Great audio, very comfortable, and seem to be very durable. Have had several Radio Shack type headphones which were really not great and in the price range of $40-50. These are well worth the cost.

M0CFM Rating: 5/5 Oct 30, 2012 04:12 Send this review to a friend
Perfect  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been searching for a good set of headphones for some time now and decided to have a listen to a set of Heil's ProSet 3! I've used Heil products before and been very impressed with the build quality! These were no exception, built well, sounded fantastic, and very comfortable over long periods of time?
For me these cant be beat for the price, just what I was looking for!
Well done Heil, another winner!

K4EQ Rating: 4/5 Oct 9, 2012 14:53 Send this review to a friend
Not the most comfortable  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm still struggling with what rating to give these. They hear very well and sound nice, and I'm sure they are just what they are advertised to be. It's tough for me to "penalize" a product that is what it's purported to be. My problem is that they're not exactly what I expected. I expected over-the-ear phones not on-the-ear ones. On-the-ear phones tend to hurt my ears after a short period of time. And the head band isn't nearly as cushioned as I need it. My head is very sensitive from being banged up too many times through the years. So, the "hear" quality is a 5; the comfort level for me is at best a 3. I'll compromise with a 4.

N4MB Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2012 08:45 Send this review to a friend
Rugged Product - Sturdily Built!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Anyone who knows me knows that I've advocated the use of the Yamaha CM500 for years and have generally made fun of those who would spend more for a Heil product.
Wouldn't you know it, I won a Pro Set 3 at the SE Ohio DX Banquet at the Dayton Hamfest.
Once I got over the joy of winning SOMETHING I took this headset out of the box and was pleasantly surprised at the quality of construction. This headset reminds me of the heavy Bakelite-built headsets of the 1950's and 1960's, except that there are good, comfortable ear cushions. I wore it during Field Day 2012 and it was loud, reasonable passive noise canceling and help up after being thrown about the table top in a very humid environment. I just returned from a 2,000 mile road trip using this headset during stops and have learned to love it.
Thanks, Bob Heil, for finding a tough audio headset that is rugged enough for portable use. Now I need to choose whether to go to a Heil mic or keep using my CM500. Tough choice!
Seriously, if you want a light, tough headset, you can't go wrong with the ProSet 3.

KB3ZBE Rating: 2/5 May 25, 2012 16:59 Send this review to a friend
Dissappointed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is the "latest, greatest" from Heil and I wanted a pair of quality headphones for SW. No microphone was needed so I thought these were for me.For $109 I expected better quality and with Heil's reputation I was dissappointed. The cushions are minimal, just barely covering the ear. With the strong spring on the headband this makes for an uncomfortable headphone. My ears were sore after one hour. Also, the cheap plastic cracked on one of the headphone mounts after just a few days of use. Send it back to the drawing board.