Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Alinco DJ-G5TH Help

Reviews Summary for Alinco DJ-G5TH
Alinco DJ-G5TH Reviews: 22 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $481.99
Description: Hand held
More info: http://www.alinco.com/usa.html

You can write your own review of the Alinco DJ-G5TH.

KF7GLF Rating: 4/5 May 26, 2010 12:15 Send this review to a friend
Very well performing HT!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my first HT, I bought it used from another ham. First impressions were I liked the size and weight, liked the screen (very easy to read especially in low light with the backlight on).

Programming the radio is fairly straightforward. The manual will come in very handy but once you have the hang of it it's pretty easy. The radio does have a large amount of features so I'm still learning all the capabilities. Definitely read through the manual to find out all the extra goodies like the spectrum analyzer, cross band repeat, etc.

The only downside to the radio for me is the audio is not very loud. Otherwise I would have given it a 5.

I am currently using the radio mobile with a Comet 24M antenna and get complimented on how strong and clear the signal sounds. The radio does get warm after using it a while on high power. I plan to hook up an external speaker to alleviate the quiet audio.

108ID184 Rating: 4/5 Oct 22, 2009 10:37 Send this review to a friend
good radio - a little outdated  Time owned: more than 12 months
Gave this radio a 4 - only because a) it's significantly bigger than most HTs these days and b) it has no narrow deviation setting.

I first bought this radio about 6 years ago - and I've used it for everything since. It wasn't until I finally got licenced I discovered it's big weakness - no narrow deviation - working repeaters on 2m became a pain in the backside, as more and more are switching to narrow deviation.

All the other features have been mentioned in other reviews, and the BNC connector problem someone else mentioned was never a problem with mine.

A good radio - just slightly lacking for me these days.

VE1GLN Rating: 4/5 Nov 16, 2007 04:41 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio, Small Audio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this radio for about ten years now, and I can easily say that it's a trooper,I love all the features it has V/V U/U V/U U/V, Spectrum Alanyzer, etc etc... but my one biggest grip is the low audio output, it's just not good for mobile or noisy enviroments.

I would recommend one to anyone looking for a good twin band radio though, as long as you don't intend to use it mobile.

I am actually considering selling this on ebay soon, and replacing it with a Mono Band with some good audio output, or a dual bander, instead of a twin band radio, as I don't often use the UHF side, and would like the whole display for one band.

Anyone wanna trade?

Glen
VE1GLN

KB9TWT Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2007 01:01 Send this review to a friend
Great Dual Band Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this radio since 1999 and used it on and off. I was thinking about selling it on ebay but decided to purchase a new case, keypad, knob, and antenna etc. It looks brand new now. I just got the EBP-36N 9.6 Volt battery pack replaced by batteriesplus. It cost me about $78.00 for a new recell with 1350 MAH Ni-Metal battery. Works great now and just got my local repeater programmed for the first time. Plenty of memory with dual bands. Built pretty tough I think. If you can get your hand on one grab it. Great power, and radio overall.

PE4BAS Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2006 13:52 Send this review to a friend
Small radio, Great possebilities  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own this radio since 1998 and bought it second hand. I replaced the antenna with a Diamond RH771S to improve the trx range. I also tried in on a base antenna, but you have to count on a bad selectivity, it is not made for base use. It was already modified when I got it. Under the right circumstances it is no problem to make a short QSO via one of the HAM sattelites from your mobile ! And when technology improves I count it could even be better in the future. It has so many possebilities that even after I got it such a long time I still need to read the manual sometimes. I used it in my mobile for several years, it was great ! I even got it with me in a hot air balloon and made several contacts. It is great to use it in wintertimes outside because you get nice warm hands in a long QSO ;-). I real nice little radio with the possebilities of a big radio.

VK2XDZ Rating: 4/5 Feb 21, 2006 08:00 Send this review to a friend
reliable  Time owned: more than 12 months
My radio is a DJ5E model,which I bought new nearly 10 years ago.Has been a really good radio,the only fault has been the internal speaker,which now sounds distorted,but fine with external speaker or speaker mike.
The nicads in the battery packs needed replacing,and it's easy to do.Put the battery packs in a freezer for a couple of hours and remove from freezer.Put pack on it's side and using a sharp knife split the seal which goes around the centre.
When you replace with new nicads glue the pack together with super glue. I found this idea on the net.
I now find the radio easy to program but it took me a long time to get the hang of it.

Pete VK2XDZ

M3TRJ Rating: 5/5 Aug 16, 2005 08:17 Send this review to a friend
Good Rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the European version of this radio, G5EY, which is basically the same as the G5TH. It is a very good radio. The airband recieve is nice as I live very close to 2 airports, and the battery lasts quite a while too. The band scope is a pretty cool feature as well. All my signal reports have been good. I would reccomend this radio.

KG6FHG Rating: 4/5 Jun 3, 2003 13:49 Send this review to a friend
Tough full size handheld  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have carried my Alinco DJG5TH everywhere for the last three years dropped it on the blacktop at Livermore Ham Swap and while monitoring at work run it as a mobile every day to work and on the weekends for two years. It has every feature that a good full featured handheld should have. Dual VFOs band scan high power easy to read large display with a cool bandscope feature and good spaced buttons.
Complaints are 1. Wish the volume and squelch were knobs instead of rockers but they are seperate which is crucial. 2. The squelch is a bit slow to open but not critically so. 3. batteries are still findable but not so easy as a new VX5 or a newer design. If you want a solid handheld that doesnt take crazy lithium batteries to do high power and has all the features you'll ever need find a used Alinco DJG5TH and a couple of batteries it'll serve you well.
The only reason I dont give a 5 for this radio is it is not breakthrough technology or a new great idea although the bandscope is close. 73 DE KG6FHG.

KC0BDW Rating: 4/5 Mar 6, 2003 23:27 Send this review to a friend
Good Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just pick it up last weekend and have been playing with it..YOU HAVE TO READ THE MANUAL..its in a different world compared to my IC-02AT and 202..lots of features on it.. looked at the mods on mods.dk but none of them work on it..Overall I like this radio..I do wish that you could change the cells in the battery pack yourself.

KB0ETC Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2003 21:32 Send this review to a friend
Ultimate Durability & Performance  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had this radio for about a year, and put it through the trials and tribulations of a rugged dual band HT.

I loved this radio! It had all the features, dual RX, cross-band repeat, band scope, etc...

I unfortunately sold it to purchase the Yaesu VX-5R. Big mistake! I wanted something a little smaller. I made a big sacrifice for a smaller radio.

I miss the radio every time I use the Yaesu. I don't care too much for menu driven functions.

I would not hesitate to purchase another, or recommend this as one of "The Best" HT's I have ever owned.

Alinco did a FB job!