Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Alinco DJ-G5TH Help

Reviews Summary for Alinco DJ-G5TH
Alinco DJ-G5TH Reviews: 22 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $481.99
Description: Hand held
More info: http://www.alinco.com/usa.html

You can write your own review of the Alinco DJ-G5TH.

N9DPD Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2003 18:53 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio! A must have!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Love the radio. Have had two of them and loved them both of them(first one dropped 4 ft. on to a concrete floor. didnt work after that. second one droped on to a pile of rock. It works but has destorted audio and is right now on its way to get fixed.) But to the point THIS IS A GREAT RADIO. love the dual vfo/recieve especially in emergencey situations/drills

ZU1AAJ Rating: 5/5 Oct 25, 2002 03:27 Send this review to a friend
My 1st HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
Excellent audio (transmission and reception). Love the Dual band at the same time reception, and you can even transmit while still receiving on the other band. (VHF tx, UHF rx or UHF tx, VHF rx). My first handheld (got a bit spoilt) won't settle for something without all these bells and whistles (Cross band repeater, duplex, wide rx coverage,band scope/ spectrum analyzer)
Only two problems in four years: The attenuator stopped working, and the BNC antenna connector wore out a bit. Battery is starting to give up (original 4.8V 650mAh) after all this time, but will replace the cells and should be as good as new. Couple of interesting mods at www.mods.dk worth looking at. If you like it: get it! You won't be dissapointed.

KD5JFR Rating: 4/5 Aug 20, 2001 23:55 Send this review to a friend
Good little radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've owned mine a year now. I like the U/U, V/V, U/V, V/U versatility. Aircraft (AM) rx is nice, but not very sensitive. I would buy another if the right deal came along. But I would rate it a "5" if it had rotary volume and squelch. Tapping the buttons doesn't get me there fast enough. Turn up the other VFO? Tap the "band" button to switch VFOs and then tap the "volume" button to turn it up. Urgh!! Just gimme' a knob. On the plus side mine has great power and Tx audio. And 200 channels? Haven't used half of 'em yet. All in all, I'll keep it.

KD5CYW Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2001 20:43 Send this review to a friend
Medium Sized power house.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had this radio for about over 1 year now. A very good radio with the am band and the 200 channel memory, a good 17" thin duck ant works great for simplex at events, and the 3 power settings help out with Batt life. Would like to see in a newer version Alphanumeric and software programming. Two add-ons would be a rotary squelch/vol control and memory channel recall by inputing the channel #. Very good radio to have.

KB5DOG Rating: 4/5 Oct 24, 2000 21:24 Send this review to a friend
GREAT RADIO  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
GREAT DUAL BAND HT BUT IF YOU PLAN ON USING IT TO TRANSMIT ON THE SATELLITE FREQS (435.00 - 438.00)
THE RADIO HAS TO BE MODIFIED. ITS A SIMPLE MODIFICATION BUT IT IS STILL A MODIFICATION. OUT OF THE BOX, ITS TRANSMIT RANGE ON THE 440 BAND IS 438.00 - 449.995.

KB9WUU Rating: 5/5 Sep 22, 2000 10:11 Send this review to a friend
This is my first radio and it's great  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This radio has a very wide range. This has a long lasting battery and it's easy to use.
It's a nice little radio!

KC2GFG Rating: 5/5 Jun 29, 2000 14:52 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
It is a great little radio. I like having radio's that are standard size, but don't way to much. Another feature is it's frequency display: V/V, U/U, V/U, U/V Very good for accesing repeaters with odd shifts.

KF6ZTC Rating: 4/5 Mar 31, 2000 21:31 Send this review to a friend
Great radio for a new ham  Time owned: unknown months
Just got this as my first dual band HT and let me tell you.. it is one of the easiest radios to learn and program. In the past I have played with others and while they have many features it takes forever to use them. I Liked the aircraft receive and the am modes on those bands. For the money this is a great radio give it a try.

KD7III Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2000 11:02 Send this review to a friend
Great HT! And quite versitile.  Time owned: unknown months
I bought my little Alinco HT only a few weeks ago and I have fallen in love with it's ability to hit most if not all the repeaters in my area. The batteries have lasted surprisingly well considering that I have the 10 hour charging unit. Which is my only gripe about it. Waiting for the batteries to charge. LOL But Alinco does have a rapid charger so I will resort to grabbing that. But everything else has been a breeze to operate, understand, and use to communicate with. I would definately reccomend this to everyone I know.

KA9ZIM Rating: 5/5 Feb 29, 2000 09:52 Send this review to a friend
Had mine for 6 months and no complaints - Great HT  Time owned: unknown months
This radio is loaded with features and is still pretty easy to use. The radio has two VFO so it can listen to V/U, V/V, U/U, or you can switch it to mono band if you need to. It will also cross band repeat, not all dual banders can do this but its a feature that I look for in a radio. Each of the two VFOs has is own button to select that VFO as the main VFO. So you don't need to look at the display to be confident that you have toggled to the correct VFO. If you know you want the left VFO just feel for the button above the display on the left side and press. This is great for use while driving. All around its pretty easy to use this radio with one hand . Programming is pretty easy, I do wish they had some programming software for this radio, it would be a time saver given that you have 160 to 200 memories available (depending on how you set-up the autodial function). I receive a lot of complements on the audio quality. I am told the audio sounds rich and clear. I am very pleased with my choice and I would recommend this radio to anyone in the market for a dual band HT.