Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Logging | Log4OM by IW3HMH Help

Reviews Summary for Log4OM by IW3HMH
Log4OM by IW3HMH Reviews: 61 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $FREE
Description: Complete logging software. CAT support for local and remote radio. QRZ/HAMQTH lookups. Visual cluster over world map with CW/PHONE filters integrated with HRDLog propagation maps by band. Label print. Voice parrot. Supports EQSL/LOTW/HRDLOG up/download. Fully searchable and exportable log (adif/csv/pdf). Statistics. Basic contest support. Works with local DB or MySQL for multi-op and much more...
More info: http://www.log4om.com

You can write your own review of the Log4OM by IW3HMH.

VE2DC Rating: 5/5 Nov 28, 2017 10:00 Send this review to a friend
Great so far  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Reading some of the complaints, I must confess, I don't get it. I doubt it took 5 minutes each to set up with 3 different rigs. In fact I set up my primary rig both with Hamlib and with Omni-rig to evaluate the two interface methods. I should add, I was already using computer interfacing with my 3 radios so I didn't have to revisit the hardware and drivers configuration. Omnirig, in particular, is dead easy to set up. And can't see how it could be easier as all you need to specify is COM port, baud rate and such, the same as every other interface I have used. First thing to note, all radios are Icom so perhaps others are more complex and I just installed the latest release 1.30.0.0.

If anyone has issues interfacing Icom. I might be able to help. ve2dc at rac dot ca.

Good luck.

PG8M Rating: 5/5 Oct 6, 2017 18:57 Send this review to a friend
the Best logger  Time owned: more than 12 months
Excellent piece of software with lots of useful options displayed in a nice graphical way.

Extensive documentation including many Youtube howto's and an active support forum.

Regular updates and a 2.0 version in the make.

Been using it for a few years now and its all i ever needed in hamradio logging.

And best of all, its for free

ON3NAD Rating: 4/5 Sep 23, 2017 12:36 Send this review to a friend
great but missing a needed option  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
did use log4om a while , program is great but sadly the procedure to switch log db's is taking too much time ( switch , save , close, reopen)..

one point for hrd is the quick change in DB's.

for the other parts i do like log4om more

W2MJP Rating: 5/5 Mar 14, 2017 10:03 Send this review to a friend
Great Logging Program  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is a great logging program with excellent help support and its FREE. If you have any questions or problems the Log4OM team is there to help. It has many great features and is nice to look at on the monitor. Fully customizable and easy to use. Great job guys.

G4LDS Rating: 5/5 Nov 15, 2016 07:07 Send this review to a friend
Great progam  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used several logging software programmes and I find Log4OM is the easiest yet to use!
Ok I do not (yet) use the CAT for my radios but maybe i will later its just I prefer using manual radios.
Layout is easy to use.
The logging is great for my usual contacts, Contests are a doddle to log
Full support from the forum & Facebook pages with very quick email from the "admin" team.
I would recommend this to anyone looking to use a log programme
And how much for the software & support? Even better Zilch (OK you can make a donation to help development costs).
Go on you know it makes sense
Chris G4LDS

N2RJ Rating: 5/5 Sep 22, 2016 12:44 Send this review to a friend
A decent replacement for HRD  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I came from HRD. I also tried DXLabSuite, which was simply awful. HRD was nice but then became commercialized, while itself not a problem, didn't really seem to give me much value for money.

Then I decided to give Log4OM a try.

It is not perfectly laid out I must admit but it seems decent enough. It can use hamlib or OmniRig to connect to CAT on your rig.

I like the cluster features and this one actually works. It can filter out band slots I don't need and also alert me to NPOTA activations which I did not find in other packages.

Log entry is fast and intuitive. If you make a mistake it is easy to understand why and correct it.

LoTW and eQSL, QRZ and ClubLog are all fine and they work properly.

Speed seems fine. I use a MySQL backend, which I had also used with HRD.

So not perfect but good enough that it will earn 5 stars anyway.

KI5IO Rating: 5/5 Jul 11, 2016 11:06 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Application  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've been working with Log4OM for over six months now and continue to be amazed at the capabilities and support provided by the developers and other users on the reflector.

I had been using an application that is fundamentally good, but needs a lot of updating to get past 'just logging' a Q. It works well for that, but I'm just not sure about future development.

That put me on the mission to try some other apps and I did just that and have settled in with the great folks at Log4OM.

I have not even tapped all the capabilities with the current release and as I do try a new option it is very "eye-opening" for me.

Any questions or hiccups I've come across are quickly addressed and excellent support provided by everyone on the reflector.

I did not have any issues with my initial CAT connection to my Elecraft K3 ... others had noted some problems with that ... I did not.

I also just updated my K3 with the new I/O that provided the USB option and the adjustment with Log4OM was smooth as silk.

I'm finally starting to integrate some digital Q's to my efforts and don't see where I'll have any problems in how Log4OM works with the various digi applications.

This is a great application, support is extraordinary and they are always working on updates and advancements with the program.

Stay tuned for some great advancements with this application over time.

G1YBB Rating: 5/5 Feb 17, 2016 14:44 Send this review to a friend
Works great and does all I need and more  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I tried a few (briefly) logging programs before I found this one. I have been very pleased with the functions offered and also the support from the website and the forums.
I found the CAT very easy to set up myself, I'm not sure why others feel it either doesn't do it or it's too hard to set up. I bought the CAT cable, installed the driver, set the serial port the CAT is on in Log4OM settings and it worked.
The logging and auto upload to the likes of qrz.com, eQSL, and the others is very useful, as is the cluster, callsign lookup, SOTA support (as a SOTA activator that is useful).
I have my logbook and settings stored in dropbox, and use a portable version (you can download either) on both my PC and my Microsoft Surface Pro 3. Everything syncs flawlessly. I go portable with the surface, log my contacts, come home switch the PC on, fire up Log4OM on the PC and the new QSOs are there.
But the best feature for me is I can set up a profile for each portable site I use so my logs are using the correct callsign. As I cross the border into Wales a lot my call becomes GW1YBB/P, and uk portable of course G1YBB/P. All my online log presences are associated with the correct callsigns. (I have detailed setting that up on my site g1ybb.uk if interested)

It does have contest functionality but I find that a bit clunkier to drive so use other programs for that. I feel its primary use is normal logging, SOTA activations, general portable, home use etc. That is something it does well.

I've not tried some of the other functionality like rotator control and other module integration, but what I have tried works well and does exactly what it says on the tin.

Bang for buck wise you can't go wrong and it's great to see good quality software being shared for free in the true Amateur radio spirit.

WE1X Rating: 2/5 Feb 17, 2016 08:17 Send this review to a friend
Needs Some Work  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been playing with Log4OM for over a year and have to give credit to the team for producing an interesting logging application free to the ham community. With that said, I've noticed a number of troubling issues that continue to lead me back to Ham Radio Deluxe.

First, as the previous reviewer said setting up the CAT function can be a challenge. I've worked my way around this and to be honest it wasn't all that difficult. However, when using 2 different transceivers getting "Rig 2" to work is a royal pain. I've noticed that the development team comes out with feature enhancements with each release. It would be nice if this got fixed first.

Second, comments in the DX cluster tend to either overlap or go on for 2 or more lines. While this may be more of personal preference issue, at times I find that when there are 2 lines it makes reading the comments more difficult.

Third, it would be nice if the DX Cluster map could replace the main QSO map on the screen. Doing this could help eliminate the need to have multiple windows open and free up screen real estate.

Fourth, as said by the previous reviewer the layout of the logbook entry could be easier to follow, edit, etc.

Fifth, some level of rig control via CAT would be nice although I can imagine it would be a time and resource challenge to create and support such of the multitude of rigs out there. More of a nit than anything else.

Again, the team deserves considerable praise for their efforts. I feel, however, I would be remiss if I didn't point these issues out from my experience.

WS7X Rating: 2/5 Feb 16, 2016 21:11 Send this review to a friend
A good start but...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been logging electronically for many years and have tried quite a few others before this one. I tied this one on the recommendation of another ham but couldn't even get the CAT to connect with my rig. Tried both the recommended CAT programs with the same result. So, off to the manual I go to see what I"m missing. And guess what, still no joy. The manual doesn't explain how to make the CAT work. I'm sorry, but any good logger should have a built in CAT interface! And it should be simple to set up and work on start up. This one doesn't meet that standard.
This program also misses the boat by trying to do everything like the clusters and various web pages while missing the basics. For example, you can't tell what anything does by hovering the mouse over the buttons. And, once you input a call sign, how do you "log" the contact. Sheesh, you have to scroll way over on the other side of the page to what looks like a disk. It should be right next the call! and It should be clearly labeled. Sorry, I could go on and on but I wont. I'm frankly surprised by all the 5 reviews. Can't see where its deserved. Again, its a good start but needs work.